Least favourites on Senjutsu

What are your least favorite songs off of Senjutsu?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What bits?
Chorus of Lost World is something of an anticlimax, despite really nice and not Maiden-typical beginnings. Days of Future Past is on the generic side, although I do like it. Celts doesn't really have any wrong with it and it sounds like Steve is having a great time of it, but I find it quite low-key and understated when compared with most of the album. I also feel Senjutsu went on slightly too long. It has a big and grandiose beginning and that drifts away as the song rolls on...and on. Could be deliberate for effect, but probably not.

I also feel Senjutsu went on slightly too long. It has a big and grandiose beginning and that drifts away as the song rolls on...and on. Could be deliberate for effect, but probably not.

I get this too. The atmosphere at the start is incredible, but after the first chorus the lyrics start going around in circles and it feels like it's constantly building towards something but never gets there.

People have said that Senjutsu is 'plodding', I feel it like a passing of a very slow, but very heavy and powerful machine, and enjoy every bit of it

Chorus of Lost World is something of an anticlimax, despite really nice and not Maiden-typical beginnings. Days of Future Past is on the generic side, although I do like it. Celts doesn't really have any wrong with it and it sounds like Steve is having a great time of it, but I find it quite low-key and understated when compared with most of the album. I also feel Senjutsu went on slightly too long. It has a big and grandiose beginning and that drifts away as the song rolls on...and on. Could be deliberate for effect, but probably not.
Agree with most of what you say. IMO,
LIALW has the best and the worst parts of the album, both coming mainly from Bruce. Celts and the other two Harris epics suffer from
A) boring chord sequences (quite a lot of 5-1 cadence, which he usually avoids)
B ) In the “maidendance” parts, motifs and riffs just get repeated, and they are too standard IMO. I could have imagined harmony guitars or second melodies in these parts, like in Revelations etc. Or a texture like in TROTW chorus background.

It all still works, because the playing is great.

Parchment - I could probably fall asleep listening to it (and not out of choice). Why Steve felt the need to spin 5-6 minutes of material out to twice that length is utterly beyond me

Lost in a Lost World is really one of my favorites. The intro and outro are two of my favorite moments on the album and everything in between really reminds of an X Factor track but better. The way Bruce delivers the chorus, especially the first time, is really big. I like the way he belts the words "sacred" and "ground".

Something that did spring to mind recently too, was although we often hear criticism of guitar melody mirroring vocal melody, I find what Maiden do with keyboards/synthetic orchestral stuff is probably more of a cliche. It's the one thing I find tiring eventually when listening to Dance of Death (yes, I am a fan of that particular album), and there's heavy use of it through Senjutsu (album). Or maybe it's just higher in the mix?

The keyboards are quite tasteful on the album I thought. However, instead of keyboard textures, I’d always prefer guitar textures. Actually listening to the album today I thought that the sound was so full on TWOTW, and so good, and that there’s no keyboards on it! Or are there??

The keyboards are quite tasteful on the album I thought. However, instead of keyboard textures, I’d always prefer guitar textures. Actually listening to the album today I thought that the sound was so full on TWOTW, and so good, and that there’s no keyboards on it! Or are there??
I'm all for keyboards and I like the texture it adds but I wish they would've picked a different preset. They choose some strange sounds at times.

Lost in a lost world and The time Machine. I think the time machine is the weakest one here. It is still quite enjoyable TBH.

Didn´t listen to Senjutsu for quite some time so decided to give it a spin and my least favourites stay Lost In A Lost World and Darkest Hour. But...those songs grew on me! Where they were like 6,5/10 songs before, now they´re easy like 7 or 7,5 ones. Conclusion: There’s no weak song on Senjutsu for me.

Now? My least listened song is Darkest Hour. But I like every song.

Please disregard my original vote. :blush:

My least favourite songs on Senjutsu are :

1) Darkest Hour
2) The Time Machine
3) Days Of Future Past
4) Death Of The Celts

But, these songs are still OK (7,5 to 8/10). :)

Back