Language topic

My native language is Swedish, and I am more or less fluent in English as well. Which is to say that I have a good understanding of it, but still nowhere near perfect command of the phonemes of the spoken language. I am leaning towards preferring the British RP when it comes to accent, but I probably sound like a mix. It is inevitable having the influence of television, music and the internet on your language every single day. I also make some grammar mistakes when writing which I sometimes fail no notice.

I know Swedish has a really complicated noun-phrase, in which the article before a noun simply do not have any rule. In English it is "a car" and "an apple" where a or an is decided by the sound after - in Swedish the same phrase would be "en bil" and "ett äpple". The car is "bilen" and the apple is "äpplet", having no article but changing the ending of the word. Getting this right involves learning every single word by heart.

Did I mention I'm taking an Arabic class this semester?

Damn, Perun. You should have mentioned that. Earlier in the year I met someone who is doing a degree in French, German and Arabic.

Divine enlightenment. Was she hot?
Well I wouldn't say no. She did (and I'm sure still does) have the loveliest sounding voice I've ever heard. She was the only one of my people I'd met at the university up to that point but unfortunately I managed to totally creep her out when I spoke to her.

Eh, that's a bit too much. Speaking Arabic does not mean she'll move there, marry a fanatic, put on a hijab and live in a harem. The more languages you speak, the wider your horizons and the better your career opportunities, I'd say.

Plus, learning Arabic means one can tell conservative Muslims that their POV on women's rights is outdated - in their own language!

Back