Lady Gaga: 'IRON MAIDEN Changed My Life'

Perun said:
For the fact that nobody can stand her, there has been a lot of talk about Lady GaGa here recently.  :huh:
I think we just all secretly admire the direction shes taking pop to be more adventurous and eccentric rather than making hits 101.
She actually earns the hits she gets in my opinion... though they arent my kind of music and frankly tey irritate my in no time i can recognise that in pop she stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of creativity and actually giving a damn about what shes giving the fans.
      The above being why i compared her to the iron maiden of pop and not because of the material she puts out  :S  but because of what she gives to those that do follow her. A good show thats outside whats ordinary for the genre and not being arrigant in success, like it or not what ive seen in the press over the past few weeks, she loves her fans. :ninja:

Someone liking a band is fine with me, regardless of who it is.  Gaga's appreciation seems genuine to me, she gains little to nothing by these press releases.  It's not like Maiden's pulling a Judas Priest and going on American Idol anytime soon.  That would be infinitely lamer.

Donner said:
Someone liking a band is fine with me, regardless of who it is.  Gaga's appreciation seems genuine to me, she gains little to nothing by these press releases.
I don't have a proble with Gaga.  In fact I quite like a few of her songs.  I'm certainly not into her stuff enough to attend a live show though. 

It's not like Maiden's pulling a Judas Priest and going on American Idol anytime soon.   That would be infinitely lamer.
I used to be totally against bands performing on these shows.  But now with MTV and others playing anything but music, I can understand why a group like Priest agreed to perform on Idol.  Sadly, it's shows like this that attract viewers.  By performing on shows like Idol they get themselves seen in front of a large audience, some of whom may just be enticed to dig a little deeper into what the band has to offer.

BruceBruceSRB said:
it's nothing propably compare to Maiden or any Metal fan madness and worship  ;)
I don't know, I've seen some crazy fans.

I can understand why a group like Priest agreed to perform on Idol.

I don't. They're legends of metal with 42 year career. They don't need publicity and recognition. It's just lame.

I do.

The act who they performed with was one of the best-running metal singers they've had on American Idol. Supporting young singers and the genre is important to Judas Priest. I voted in American Idol for the first time ever for that cat. I also voted on Dancing With the Stars for Chris Jericho because I'm a fan of Fozzy.

Metal going more mainstream is a good thing, as long as the acts aren't selling out to do it. Priest isn't, I don't think. They haven't changed their sounds or songs.

Donner said:
It's not like Maiden's pulling a Judas Priest and going on American Idol anytime soon.   That would be infinitely lamer.

You gotta admit though, Bruce would be great on that show.  :lol:

I think part of it was a chance to play before a huge audience, American Idol drew 29.3 million viewers in the US, I do not care for the show.  But metal has never gotten dick for airplay/TV in the US outside of Headbangers Ball and now soem VH1 specials.  It's a good chance to show the country that they are great musicians and play great music.  The most press Priest has ever gotten in the US was during the trial where someone claimed their music caused a kid to kill himself. 

I think it's coll Priest went on and flew the flag, plus the guy they sang with is a metalhead, he sang Another Thing Coming earlier in the season. 

Few quotes from Priest that I think sum it up nicely
Because we've lived so long and done so much stuff in heavy metal and we've seen so many crazy things and heard so many crazy things, when we heard this we went, 'F---! That's incredible, man. Let's do it, you know? This is insane. That's just amazing,' " frontman Rob Halford explained of their reaction to getting "Idol" exposure. "So as it progressed from 'Another Thing Coming' till this point now, when we're on the carpet and we're about to do the show, it's just a dream come true for Priest, for metal and, mostly, for James Durbin."

Asked if there was any trepidation about letting Durbin take on their 1982 hit, guitarist Glenn Tipton said, "None whatsoever, I mean, if you look at what James has done for heavy metal, you've got to say thank you, you know? It's just bringing metal to the front, making it, metal, accessible for people. It's a good thing."

LooseCannon said:
Metal going more mainstream is a good thing, as long as the acts aren't selling out to do it. Priest isn't, I don't think. They haven't changed their sounds or songs.

That's the key ... I'd be cool if Maiden did it IF they played like Maiden (which I assume would be the only way they would do it).

Zare said:
I don't. They're legends of metal with 42 year career. They don't need publicity and recognition. It's just lame.
But they aren't doing it for that. I don't know why people think that. They're doing it as a nice gesture toward someone flying the metal flag.

Zare said:

That's just silly.

Of course they need publicity and recognition. They're professional musicians. It's how they feed their families. As others said, they didn't sell out; why shouldn't they get their music into 30 million homes if they can?

In fact, turning down such a chance would be a monumentally dumb business decision.

30 million teenagers... Let's say 0.1% buy an album. That's 30,000 sales. That's nothing to laugh at, especially for a band like Priest that doesn't get much US sales.

It was the success of what'shisname that got Priest on the show. I mean, a metal singer going that far is only good for the metal movement. From what I understand, the kid was damn good too. Nothing wrong with moving a little more mainstream.

They don't? I thought their last 2 albums did pretty good out here. And I'm sure British Steel 30th Anniversary sold well too.

Apologies. I didn't know they're doing it for one of contenders. Now, that's noble. I thought they just played as a guest band on the show. Which i wouldn't support.

Even if they were a guest band, it would not be a sell out, they played their music the way they play it.  If they came on and did a disco version of Electric Eye, then yeah it is a sellout ... Perhaps playing Turbo would be a sellout :) .. but going on a pop show to play your music your way, is an attempt to build an audience for you and metal in general.

It is cool the Metal singer got far, at some point the "classic" metal acts will be no more and we certainly need new blood for the next generation.

Zare said:
No, it's getting their music out to kids who may never have otherwise heard of them.  How popular is Priest in the States now?

All their doing is using resources available to them to promote themselves...

LooseCannon said:
It was the success of what'shisname that got Priest on the show. I mean, a metal singer going that far is only good for the metal movement. From what I understand, the kid was damn good too. Nothing wrong with moving a little more mainstream.

Agreed.

I don't even know the kids name, or care really, but he has got people talking about Judas Priest. That's certainly not a bad thing...

Ian Sane said:
No, it's getting their music out to kids who may never have otherwise heard of them.  How popular is Priest in the States now?

All their doing is using resources available to them to promote themselves...
No they aren't. Again, the appearance was a nice gesture for a metal fan.

Moderator Action: Guys, calm down. It's not worth getting worked up about this issue.

Batman said:
No they aren't. Again, the appearance was a nice gesture for a metal fan.
Both are probably a factor. Priest went and had dinner with the guy afterwards and they got nice publicity - They made an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel in 2008 too, which was PR. And there's nothing, nothing wrong with it. Music is business as well, and Priest isn't an obscure band that has sold 200 records. They have sold over 30 million records, and airplay and TV-appearances do help. So why wouldn't they jump on it? It's not like they are compromising with their integrity or musical vision. When they get an offer which they don't think suits the band for whatever reason, they turn it down. Just like when they distanced themselves from "Rock Star", or when they turned down that country music reality show.

Back