Lady Gaga: 'IRON MAIDEN Changed My Life'

Even assuming they are on there to promote themselves, what is wrong with that?  It's no different from when they made videos for MTV, or appeared on Top of the Pops and other shows like that.  It is a chance to play before a huge TV audience, a fair amount of which has probably never bought a Priest album. 

The only ways people discover music/bands are generally a friend recommending them or they hear them on the radio/TV/ .. and nowadays Pandora, Shoutcast, last.fm, etc.  I would assume Priest picked up some new fans in the US from that show that will ideally turn into new metal fans/inspire someone to pick up a guitar, drum sticks, etc. 

Had they gone on and done a disco or rap version of some song, then yes I would call that a sellout, but they played their music and gave people an opportunity to like it or not like it. 

It is so rare for hard rock/metal to be on mainstream US TV, I think this is a great thing.

bearfan said:
Even assuming they are on there to promote themselves, what is wrong with that?  It's no different from when they made videos for MTV, or appeared on Top of the Pops and other shows like that.  It is a chance to play before a huge TV audience, a fair amount of which has probably never bought a Priest album.   

The only ways people discover music/bands are generally a friend recommending them or they hear them on the radio/TV/ .. and nowadays Pandora, Shoutcast, last.fm, etc.   I would assume Priest picked up some new fans in the US from that show that will ideally turn into new metal fans/inspire someone to pick up a guitar, drum sticks, etc. 

Had they gone on and done a disco or rap version of some song, then yes I would call that a sellout, but they played their music and gave people an opportunity to like it or not like it. 

It is so rare for hard rock/metal to be on mainstream US TV, I think this is a great thing.
We're on the same page here.  :)

Lady Gaga is an avid Maiden fan. Somen's taste in music does'nt necessarily dictate the style of music they can make. If they did a collaberation with her, I would'nt question their artistic integrity. I believe it would be a passion project. After 35 years of doing it their own way, no matter what, says it would'nt be a project just to make money. Now someone like Lars Ulrich would be just doing it for the money.

Yax said:
Both are probably a factor. Priest went and had dinner with the guy afterwards and they got nice publicity - They made an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel in 2008 too, which was PR. And there's nothing, nothing wrong with it. Music is business as well, and Priest isn't an obscure band that has sold 200 records. They have sold over 30 million records, and airplay and TV-appearances do help. So why wouldn't they jump on it? It's not like they are compromising with their integrity or musical vision. When they get an offer which they don't think suits the band for whatever reason, they turn it down. Just like when they distanced themselves from "Rock Star", or when they turned down that country music reality show.
Exactly. :)

Nigel Tufnel said:
After 35 years of doing it their own way, no matter what, says it would'nt be a project just to make money. Now someone like Lars Ulrich would be just doing it for the money.

Oh boy, here we go  ::)

Let's just agree to disagree for now  :bigsmile:

Back