Killers

How good is Killers on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

DJMayes

Ancient Mariner

The best song from the Dianno era, in my opinion, and one of the early songs that stand out as a blueprint for what Maiden would become. Everything about this song is fantastic.

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
One of early Maiden’s fiercest tracks. Killers is probably the perfect representation of the band’s early attitude and sound. Rough around the edges, dark, but also powerful and incredibly well organized. That opening riff is so sinister and then it explodes into one of the most edgy Maiden riffs. Paul Di’Anno gives one of his best performances with the band. The guitar harmonics through the pre-verse sections are great. Here the vocal sections take center stage and the lyrics are well crafted. I love how it takes you inside the mind of the killer, and a very Kubrick-ian “violence for the sake of violence” type. The harmonies in the bridge are interesting and kind of new for the band. Both guitar solos are wonderful. For my money, the first worthy offering from the Adrian/Dave two guitar attack. 10

Murder of Rue Morgue

Educated Fool
Funfact: in the intro of this song, the clean guitar (Adrian Smith) uses a technique called 'bariolage'. This technique is typical of string instruments and exploits one of their characteristic: to be able to play the same note on different strings – which is, of course, the way guitar players tune their instrument.
It thus consists in playing the exact same note on different strings, one of which is usually left open.
It's widely used in classical music, e.g. in Haydn's Symphonies (no. 28, no. 45, but also in his String Quartet op. 50, no. 6), in Bach's prelude to Partita no. 3 for solo violin and Ps.-Handel's Sonata for violin op. 1, no. 12; also in bluegrass fiddling, where it is known as "cross fingering".

Adrian's part consists of three notes: E, E, and G, fingered by letting the strings ring and leaving 1st string open, thus:

Killers.png

Last edited:

Shmoolikipod

Stranger to the Light
Funfact: in the intro of this song, the clean guitar (Adrian Smith) uses a technique called 'bariolage'. This technique is typical of string instruments and exploits one of their characteristic: to be able to play the same note on different strings – which is, of course, the way guitar players tune their instrument.
It thus consists in playing the exact same note on different strings, one of which is usually left open.
It's widely used in classical music, e.g. in Haydn's Symphonies (no. 28, no. 45, but also in his String Quartet op. 50, no. 6), in Bach's prelude to Partita no. 3 for solo violin and Ps.-Handel's Sonata for violin op. 1, no. 12; also in bluegrass fiddling, where it is known as "cross fingering".

Adrian's part consists of three notes: E, E, and G, fingered by letting the strings ring and leaving 1st string open, thus:
x x x 9 8 0​
Thanks, I didn't know this has a name!

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
The most evil song of Maiden’s first two records opens with a great moody intro and builds into a killer schizophrenic riff. Paul totally sells the character of the song. Lovely guitar moments throughout, a definite early classic. Not “Phantom” level but great throughout. 8/10