Killers: individual album judgement by yours truly

I thought it was established that Thunderburst pre dates Ides and that Steve robbed/accidently copied it.
?
It's the same track made while Barry was with Maiden. Maiden used it later, and Samson recorded a slightly different version of it in 1980 as Thunderburst.
The release predates Maiden's release indeed if that's what you mean.

?
It's the same track made while Barry was with Maiden. Maiden used it later, and Samson recorded a slightly different version of it in 1980 as Thunderburst.
The release predates Maiden's release indeed if that's what you mean.
Thats not what I meant but you may have hit on the source of my confused delusion, buddy.

Jenkin's Barn is a joke from Nicko, the song was never called that. And Purkis contributing a drum roll is not deserving of a writing credit.
Yes Jenkin's Barn is a joke. And I expected people to come and talk on IMPub about this, because it's a debatable track list I did. In these days the most you see on FB are "likes" and no one questioning...

I disagree about Purkis. According to him it was his idea to have an intro on the upcoming Maiden shows, so he had that pattern or whatever and he showed that to Harris, who then turned it into a full song. So he deserves to be credited. Why not? If you think about "Gangland" and "Total Eclipse", none of those songs were Burr's ideas and he only contributed with drums.

Last edited:
It is an idea. Bruce explained how Clive started that Gangland drumbeat. Since nothing else is written, we can all (drum)fill in what could have happened.

You can hear how the guitar accens fit the drums. These drums certainly had impact. So in a way he influenced the guitar/bass writing.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that?
Never heard anything about Clive's picking up a guitar, keyboards or even going for backing vocals. So i can talk fearless that he only contributed with drums/percussion. However... behind the Iron curtains there's always that glove waving the possibility of Maiden giving more credit to a member then he actually deserved or contributed. So being sure would be better.

There are ways to instruct people what to play without having instrument knowledge. Lars Urlich effectively co wrote that Enter Sandman riff with one sentence that came out of his mouth.

Also Powerslave and the very elaborate instrumental section that's full of melodies, beats and other stuff that wasn't present in the verses and choruses. And ultimately we know how EOTC development was done so I'd fire a hypothesis that Total Eclipse and Gangland had a lot of Clive's input (verbal or otherwise) to them.

One of them has also been refered to as "Clive's song" by Smith somewhere in the interview so it's a fair bet that he led the development.

@The_7th_one can you help me a bit and send me the Bremen/Beat Club 1981 show?
I mean the best version that was the full uncut show uploaded from their own tapes.
I linked it here when it was uploaded but I was so disappointed when it somehow disappeared later.
Would like to see it again.

I've tried uploading again on YT under a "fake" name and with an unrelated miniature image, but it was taken down anyway. :(

I've tried uploading again on YT under a "fake" name and with an unrelated miniature image, but it was taken down anyway. :(
Yep, I've heard this happen. No matter what, if someone tries to upload something under fake and etc names..they have just their ways to identify all the material. My friend told that he had uploaded some rare Elvis stuff and it was immediately reported and taken down in the USA.

2 newbies on this record and they make a huge difference straight away, particularly Birch. Maybe the best sounding Maiden album.

Ides of March - 10, a perfect intro, especially the additions of the solos to the previous version they used when opening gigs

Wrathchild - 10, unfairly maligned in the live setting, this is an absolute classic

Murders in the Rue Morgue - 10, one of the newly written tracks and it shows the jump in quality Steve has made in a short time, absolutely brilliant and maybe the best track on the album

Another Life - 8, Pretty great track musically but docked marks for repeating the verse 3 times

Genghis Khan - 10. great instrumental and the greatest tempo change in history

Innocent Exile - 9, similar to Another Life in that there's nothing wrong with it bar the repeated verse, outro brilliant, maybe first example of a Maiden trademark runaway outro??

Killers - 10, Another track written after the first album was out, and again the jump in quality is obvious, intro is phenomenal maybe one of Maiden's best. One of Dave's trademark solos. Gives me some bad dreams this one.

Prodigal Son - 10, some dynamics supplied by this chillaxed track, another top notch composition with brilliant solos

Purgatory - 10, fuckin metal!

Drifter - 9, I'd give the live version from Live!! +one with the e-yo section a 10 easily. Not sure why some are triggered by the lyrics, they maybe simplistic generic rock fare but ultimately are harmless enough in meaning compared to some of the sleazy shit on the first album and coming up on 22 on the next album. Love the build up to the outro verse.

The Ides of March - 8
Wrathchild - 8
Murders in the Rue Morgue - 7
Another Life - 5
Genghis Khan - 7
Innocent Exile - 6
Killers - 9
Prodigal Son - 8
Purgatory - 7
Twilight Zone - 6
Drifter - 5

Average: 6.9