Kevin's diary coming to Ironmaiden.com

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
The sound of every Maiden album with Shirley has sounded great to my ears. Not sure what everyone is complaining about.

No, they don't sound great. DOD is not even Kevin Shirley's own 'correct version'. AMOLAD I won't repeat myself about it the twentieth time this month and TFF has great guitar tones, which Kevin did as usual as he's an amazing sound engineer and the drum sound is quite good, too, but it lacks something, once again. Just does.

AMOLAD sounds good, but it could've sounded way, way better.
DOD's sound just plain old sucks. It's dull, has no space, overly compressed and muddy. If i want to listen to those songs, i'll listen to DOTR. Except that they haven't played Face In The Sand there. IMHO that song sounds somewhat better than rest of the record, because there's a lot of open chords, so no mud issues compared to DoD sound of palm muting. For the rest of the unplayed songs, i don't really care. Except the bridge/solo part of New Froniter (praise the H), which just plain old rocks.

And, DOTR version of Journeyman beats album version right in the ass. It's bright, clear, acoustics and drumming are great, plus it has a nice little H solo. Not to mention Bruce's dull vocals on record, rendered into godly performance live  ;)

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
The sound of every Maiden album with Shirley has sounded great to my ears.

They do for you Travis and that's fine. Cherish that, even if others want you to believe they don't. If you are sensitive for that, it can spoil the listening pleasure.

Personally with Maiden I find sound far less important than songwriting and performance. On DOTR Bruce performs not well (probably due to a cold) so this spoils it more for me than a so called muddy mix.

I think Shirley has done a fantastic job. There's so much going on with 3 guitars and Nicko's insane technique but I never feel like I'm missing anything which is immensely impressive. My only issue, ironically enough, is the bass which sounds a tiny bit lost at times but that's been largely rectified on TFF and it's churlish to mention it anyway.

Wow: Maiden's first studio recording caused Haiti's earthquake. ;)
No, that wasn't funny. Anyway, the earthquake happened on the first day of recording.

I like it that Kevin tells us the order of recording:

January 11
1. Coming Home
2. El Dorado

January 12
3. Isle of Avalon

January 13
4. Mother of Mercy

January 15
5. The Talisman

January 18
6. Starblind

January 19
7. The Final Frontier

January 20
8. The Man Who Would Be King

January 21
9. The Alchemist

January 22
10. Where the Wild Wind Blows

I'm thrilled to have read this, truly awesome. Shocked to learn that Bruce recorded all vocals separately in Shirley's home studio. And it seems like these guys literally rock 24/7 too, what an inspiration. No wonder they sound so intense - they are intense! Sons of bitches are just living like there's no tomorrow.

It's so beautiful to see a group of artists who struggled for perfection, achieved it (in terms of what they were aiming for) and now spend their lives deconstructing it all and adding new stuff with such passion.

I highly enjoyed Shirley's diary as an engineer myself. There's always something to learn from the experiences of others. As for mastering, it is VERY interesting to learn that TFF was mastered three times but ultimately kept flat, released without a mastering chain on top. What we hear is the original mix, no mastering processors added. GREAT!

I highly enjoyed reading the diaries as well. I only feel a bit bad for Adrian who always has to lose these "sound battles" with Steve (and Kevin who takes Steve's side, naturally).

But when I think more optimistic I should say this:
For me Adrian is the "winner" anyway, for I feel he contributed more than anyone else on this record.

Yes, indeed, on The Final Frontier Adrian is the main songwriter in Maiden. Steve has more credits but he adds lyrics and polishes the song with some melodies but H comes with the bulk of the material, he is the most creative spirit in the band. H's name isn't first for nothing. I don't mean to put someone above the whole band, but after reading these diaries I wanted to emphasize Adrian's role, for compensation.  B)

Invisible said:
Shocked to learn that Bruce recorded all vocals separately in Shirley's home studio.

Ah, look at Somewhere in Time. Nicko and Steve recorded @ Nassau and the rest of the band in Holland. :)

I believe this is the right thread to post the most curious things from Kevin's diary for TFF album.

Kevin's thoughts:

''Isle Of Avalon'' is a great song.
The fans going to love ''The Talisman'' (he likes the intro a lot). The lead vocals were a nightmare to compile.
''Starblind'' is a great proggy tune... which came out very strongly.
''The Final Frontier'' is quite straightforward and even quite simple for Maiden, but very powerful.
''The Man Who Would Be King'' is a highly complex song, cut in sections. It was very difficult.
''The Alchemist'' is very Deep Purple-ish. The original title of the song was ''House Of Dr. D''. Btw, I think this song should have been the lead single from the album.
They cut 10 totally different melodies for ''When The Wild Wind Blows''. The structure of the song altered a little form Steve's original idea.
For ''Starblind'' - complicated mix. Adrian wanted more reverb on some things. Steve wanted a drier mix, not roomy, but they went with the original mix.
Adrian is 95% happy with the final mix of the album.
Bruce had some issues with a couple of vocal lines he'd sung, and disliked a particular guitar solo. He recorded the vocal lines for ''Isle Of Avalon'' and ''Starblind'' in one day. Both are very high, so Kevin suggested a lower vocal line for Avalon, which Bruce tried.

''Adrian came by The Cave for a listen - he thought the tracks sounded good but "a little too much like the band in the studio". He thought more reverb to make them sound more "majestic" and "epic". Steve disagreed strongly. Honestly, they are both right. The thing I personally like about the dry, honest mixes, is that it sets them apart from any other Classic Rock or Metal band. They're not really metal anyway, in the present day sense of the genre, but they're more of a hard progressive rock band. I promised to run some mixes each way and decisions can be made down the road, if necessary''.

''We've had the album mastered three times, and have ultimately decided to go with my flat mixes over any of the mastering versions. I think the mastering place did a great job, but Steve, while liking these versions, feels that the integrity of the original mixes has been compromised somewhat and so it's coming out flat. No equalization, no compression, just as it was when Steve heard the MP3s of the mixes and just as it left my studio''.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming Home - Adrian puts an acoustic guitar picking through the verses and choruses - what? Dave is really happy with his Hendrix-y solo which was done on his Les Paul guitar. Adrian's solo took him ''a while''.

El Dorado - quite a few takes from Adrian for his solo. The Three Amigos are really happy with this song.

The Man Who Would Be King - Dave tried some harmony guitars on the intro, but they don't really work. He loves the reversed solo (an idea by Kevin) and came up with it pretty quickly. Adrian was supposed to have a solo after Dave's solo, but the track felt so out of control, that they introduced the triple-lead harmony melody to bring some order into the chaos.

The Final Frontier - Again, acoustic guitar in the chorus? Adrian played the solo on his trusty Strat.

The Alchemist - Janick changed his original solo (great decision imo, although we'll never hear the original). The first solo was more ''in the meter'', he felt the new one sounded more ''incendiary''.

Mother Of Mercy - Adrian added a harmony guitar to the pre-chorus. Bruce recorded the vocals for the song after he has sung ''Coming Home'' and ''El Dorado''. Steve has a very particular melody in his mind, which Bruce didn't really get 100% correct. It's close tho...

Btw, can we find his AMOLAD (and DOD, iirc) diaries online?

Nice bump lol

But I never read this diary and it's very interesting. I'd love to read more from other albums' recording sessions.

I believe this is the right thread to post the most curious things from Kevin's diary for TFF album.

Kevin's thoughts:

''Isle Of Avalon'' is a great song.
The fans going to love ''The Talisman'' (he likes the intro a lot). The lead vocals were a nightmare to compile.
''Starblind'' is a great proggy tune... which came out very strongly.
''The Final Frontier'' is quite straightforward and even quite simple for Maiden, but very powerful.
''The Man Who Would Be King'' is a highly complex song, cut in sections. It was very difficult.
''The Alchemist'' is very Deep Purple-ish. The original title of the song was ''House Of Dr. D''. Btw, I think this song should have been the lead single from the album.
They cut 10 totally different melodies for ''When The Wild Wind Blows''. The structure of the song altered a little form Steve's original idea.
For ''Starblind'' - complicated mix. Adrian wanted more reverb on some things. Steve wanted a drier mix, not roomy, but they went with the original mix.
Adrian is 95% happy with the final mix of the album.
Bruce had some issues with a couple of vocal lines he'd sung, and disliked a particular guitar solo. He recorded the vocal lines for ''Isle Of Avalon'' and ''Starblind'' in one day. Both are very high, so Kevin suggested a lower vocal line for Avalon, which Bruce tried.

''Adrian came by The Cave for a listen - he thought the tracks sounded good but "a little too much like the band in the studio". He thought more reverb to make them sound more "majestic" and "epic". Steve disagreed strongly. Honestly, they are both right. The thing I personally like about the dry, honest mixes, is that it sets them apart from any other Classic Rock or Metal band. They're not really metal anyway, in the present day sense of the genre, but they're more of a hard progressive rock band. I promised to run some mixes each way and decisions can be made down the road, if necessary''.

''We've had the album mastered three times, and have ultimately decided to go with my flat mixes over any of the mastering versions. I think the mastering place did a great job, but Steve, while liking these versions, feels that the integrity of the original mixes has been compromised somewhat and so it's coming out flat. No equalization, no compression, just as it was when Steve heard the MP3s of the mixes and just as it left my studio''.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming Home - Adrian puts an acoustic guitar picking through the verses and choruses - what? Dave is really happy with his Hendrix-y solo which was done on his Les Paul guitar. Adrian's solo took him ''a while''.

El Dorado - quite a few takes from Adrian for his solo. The Three Amigos are really happy with this song.

The Man Who Would Be King - Dave tried some harmony guitars on the intro, but they don't really work. He loves the reversed solo (an idea by Kevin) and came up with it pretty quickly. Adrian was supposed to have a solo after Dave's solo, but the track felt so out of control, that they introduced the triple-lead harmony melody to bring some order into the chaos.

The Final Frontier - Again, acoustic guitar in the chorus? Adrian played the solo on his trusty Strat.

The Alchemist - Janick changed his original solo (great decision imo, although we'll never hear the original). The first solo was more ''in the meter'', he felt the new one sounded more ''incendiary''.

Mother Of Mercy - Adrian added a harmony guitar to the pre-chorus. Bruce recorded the vocals for the song after he has sung ''Coming Home'' and ''El Dorado''. Steve has a very particular melody in his mind, which Bruce didn't really get 100% correct. It's close tho...

Btw, can we find his AMOLAD (and DOD, iirc) diaries online?

This is the Dr Dee from The Alchemist:

Back