Kevin Shirley’s production of Senjutsu

Kevin Shirley's best production work isn't with Maiden though, to be fair. In my opinion anyway, although BNW and AMOLAD are awesome. His Dream Theater material is out of this world, and the Bonamassa stuff is gold too.

My only gripe with the sound of this album is the same as the previous two- the toms sound flat and boring. It really does a disservice to the title track in particular with what Nicko is playing. Listening with quality headphones eases the problems a bit, but in my car stereo (which isn't bad) it sounds so lifeless.

Am I the only one here who finds The Final Frontier to be the best sounding Maiden reunion album?

The trio of 80's albums recorded at Compass Point (Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time) are my favorite sounding Maiden 80's discs also.
IM made magic at that (now defunct) studio in the Bahamas.

Am I the only one here who finds The Final Frontier to be the best sounding Maiden reunion album?

The trio of 80's albums recorded at Compass Point (Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time) are my favorite sounding Maiden 80's discs also.
Nice to see you´re back!

I strongly agree with the part about POM, P, and SIT production values. Those are the best sounding Maiden albums. TNOTB and 7Son are not far behind.

I also believe horseshit is better than dogshit.
On a more serious note, all Kevin Shirley albums sound awful. I won't argue whether TFF is a good album or not but soundwise it's notoriously bad. It may have sounded better if someone didn't say fuck that studio, let's use me laptop

On a more serious note, all Kevin Shirley albums sound awful.
BNW and AMOLAD sound better than most of their 80's albums.
I won't argue whether TFF is a good album or not but soundwise it's notoriously bad. It may have sounded better if someone didn't say fuck that studio, let's use me laptop
99.9% of music is mixed on laptops these days. Aside from live recordings, traditional studios are mostly redundant now.

BNW and AMOLAD really don't sound better than the 80s stuff, even the first album is hard competition for Shirley's shitty production. Martin Birch is a god for a reason, I'm fortunate enough to own the original European vinyls so I can judge better.

BNW and AMOLAD really don't sound better than the 80s stuff, even the first album is hard competition for Shirley's shitty production. Martin Birch is a god for a reason, I'm fortunate enough to own the original European vinyls so I can judge better.

Oh, the arrogance!

He's right. Post reunion albums can't compete with golden era albums production wise, imo.

In some cases it is also a matter of personal taste, although Martin Birch was the best producer the band has ever had (and one of the best producers of all time, capable of making things sound heavy and clear at the same time).

On a personal note, I have never been a fan of the production of Somewhere in Time; in fact, I prefer the production on BNW or AMOLAD.

Did amolad even have production? Sounds like a demo to me
As for BNW it sounds muddy at times, synths drown guitars etc

In some cases it is also a matter of personal taste, although Martin Birch was the best producer the band has ever had (and one of the best producers of all time, capable of making things sound heavy and clear at the same time).

On a personal note, I have never been a fan of the production of Somewhere in Time; in fact, I prefer the production on BNW or AMOLAD.
A MATTER OF A PERSONAL TASTE :D
I agree.
SIT is not my favorite album. But I don't like BNW and AMOLAD production. To me it's too depressing.

The best sounding Maiden album HAS to be Powerslave. When I play side 2 and back in the village kicks in it's so dynamic and punchy it peels the skin off of my face. The best production has to be SSOASS, so polished.

On a more serious note, all Kevin Shirley albums sound awful. I won't argue whether TFF is a good album or not but soundwise it's notoriously bad. It may have sounded better if someone didn't say fuck that studio, let's use me laptop
Do you like this better?

Back