Judas Priest

Yeah, that was underwhelming on multiple levels, and Tim isn’t putting in the effort he should.

Most of my Judas Priest albums were bought second-hand, and are quite old. My Screaming for Vengeance and Painkiller CDs are original issues. I have all other 70s and 80s albums on vinyl. So here is my question: There is a new box set out, containing all albums on CD and remastered. Can anyone tell me something about that? Is it better than the 2001 reissues? Would it be worth to get either, or should I stick to my old issues, considering the remaster/loudness war issues? I'm not so concerned with the bonus material, I've heard it all and am not interested in it.
I tell you what, hold off for eleven years - they'll be re-re-re-releasing an entire box set for the 50 year anniversary for about five hundred quid.

I tell you what, hold off for eleven years - they'll be re-re-re-releasing an entire box set for the 50 year anniversary for about five hundred quid.

That post is already eight years old and I have found a solution since.

Listening back to "Brother of the Road" again, the music itself is like a stock 1979-1982 Priest tune. It's fairly good. But the vocal melodies are crap, the singing itself is completely uninspired. The lyrics and the lyrical theme are just a big no. KK's comparison to "You've Got Another Thing Comin" has zero merit, but I guess he has to talk it up somehow.

There's apparently a music video too.

KK's comparison to "You've Got Another Thing Comin" has zero merit, but I guess he has to talk it up somehow.

If it had to be compared to any Priest song surely Heading Out to the Highway fits better? Though that smokes this song too so I guess it didn't matter what he compared it to.

Probably the best thing the band has released yet. And that’s saying something because the vocals are shit and it’s average as fuck.

If it had to be compared to any Priest song surely Heading Out to the Highway fits better? Though that smokes this song too so I guess it didn't matter what he compared it to.
Quite right. Anyway, this song, with alternate lyrics and better vocal melodies, could've been on Point of Entry for sure .

Regarding KK's Priest (is that really the band's name?), here is the opinion of someone who Judas Priest has never fully clicked with (outside of the awesome Painkiller and the magnificent Firepower):

One of these tracks has a 4-second bass solo that sounded cool and also like it might be moderately difficult to play, so that alone puts the bottom end above the real Priest. As a bass player, Judas Priest bores me to tears.

Everything else, though, ranges from mediocre to simply awful. I have heard Ripper sound good decent - but this is not an example of that.

Yeah, there's solos. Yeah, there's aggressive drumming and wailing... but it's all so stock. There's very little bite. It's like they're going through the motions. There were a few musical passages that caught my ear, but just because 5-10% of something grabs my attention does not mean the entire thing is of high quality.

I don't typically care much about lyrics in general, but these were a special case of suck. Brothers of the Road is the worst offender.

In the end, I hear nothing other than generic cookie cutter '80s metal here. I've heard enough of this style to last a thousand lifetimes.

Regarding KK's Priest (is that really the band's name?), here is the opinion of someone who Judas Priest has never fully clicked with (outside of the awesome Painkiller and the magnificent Firepower):

One of these tracks has a 4-second bass solo that sounded cool and also like it might be moderately difficult to play, so that alone puts the bottom end above the real Priest. As a bass player, Judas Priest bores me to tears.

Everything else, though, ranges from mediocre to simply awful. I have heard Ripper sound good decent - but this is not an example of that.

Yeah, there's solos. Yeah, there's aggressive drumming and wailing... but it's all so stock. There's very little bite. It's like they're going through the motions. There were a few musical passages that caught my ear, but just because 5-10% of something grabs my attention does not mean the entire thing is of high quality.

I don't typically care much about lyrics in general, but these were a special case of suck. Brothers of the Road is the worst offender.

In the end, I hear nothing other than generic cookie cutter '80s metal here. I've heard enough of this style to last a thousand lifetimes.
This is a really good review of Firepower. :ahhh::p

Listening back to "Brother of the Road" again, the music itself is like a stock 1979-1982 Priest tune. It's fairly good. But the vocal melodies are crap, the singing itself is completely uninspired. The lyrics and the lyrical theme are just a big no. KK's comparison to "You've Got Another Thing Comin" has zero merit, but I guess he has to talk it up somehow.

There's apparently a music video too.

Thanks for sharing the video.

The song is not too bad, but the lyrics and vocal melodies are pretty cringeworthy.

K.K. about the solos in the Firepower album:

''I’ve seen Richie playing Glenn solos, the ‘Firepower’ album, that was hard. I just miss the two-guitar trade-off, and I miss the solos''.

^ It is true that Richie play most of the solos.

He also said that he thinks he should have played more solos in Priest. He respects Richie for playing both his and Glenn's solos though - I agree with him.

K.K. - Maiden always put on a great show.

''I'm very proud of the guys now, I have been for a long time, they've become the mighty Iron Maiden, and they seemed to get better all the time.
The last Rock in Rio show, I've been watching that on the video, and it's fantastic, the guys put on a great show always. Let's keep it going, you can't keep the good bands down
''.

K.K. about the solos in the Firepower album:

''I’ve seen Richie playing Glenn solos, the ‘Firepower’ album, that was hard. I just miss the two-guitar trade-off, and I miss the solos''.

^ It is true that Richie play most of the solos.

He also said that he thinks he should have played more solos in Priest. He respects Richie for playing both his and Glenn's solos though - I agree with him.

I agree with KK in a way, as much as I like Richie it is strange and a bit of a shame that he takes most of the lead parts in a band that's so well known for popularising the twin-axe thing in metal. However, as KK says, Glenn did a lot of the soloing by himself in Priest anyway, so maybe it's not that unusual for Richie to do all the soloing?

Judas Priest just finished their set at Bloodstock. Absolutely NUTTY choices in the setlist. I think this is the greatest Priest setlist I've ever seen. I hope they play this set when I see them this year:

E2nyHTu.png

ABSOLUTELY INSANE OPENING! I would've lost my mind if I was there seeing that for the first time. Live debut of One Shot at Glory. Absolute rocker that one. After that it's just great choice after great choice. There's a real emphasis on the Painkiller album it seems, which is awesome. All Guns Blazing was dropped for Hell Patrol (a respectable choice). Glad to see Firepower representation in Lightning Strike! I was hoping that one or the title track or maybe even No Surrender would return. Rocka Rolla is a super interesting choice. I've always loved that song but hated the album. What I'm most excited for is by far is A TOUCH OF EVIL!! For a long time that was my favorite Priest song. The atmosphere and just everything on there is spellbinding. I'm gonna lose my mind seeing that live in October (fingers crossed it sticks around).

Other than that, Dissident Aggressor is great 70's Priest (Judas Priest in their 70's playing songs from the 70's, lol) Glad to see Blood Red Skies, Painkiller, and Metal Gods too.

This just compounds my hype even more. I'll be seeing them in October on the San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin dates. Was going to try to make the OKC show too but that drive from Dallas to OKC was a bit long so I decided to go see Testament that Saturday instead.

Back