Judas Priest

Reactions: Yax
Priest has practically a complete album waiting to be recorded:

Richie would like to cover ''Children Of The Damned''. His take on Adrian's solo would be curious.

Other songs he would like to cover (from his Twitter account):

Alice Cooper - Halo Of Flies
Heart - Barracuda
Cream - Mothers Lament
Jimi Hendrix - Freedom
Fleetwood Mac - Oh Well
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Queen - Ogre Battle
Queen - Tie Your Mother Down
UFO - Let It Roll

Curious info from Rob's biography:

- he thinks Rocka Rolla album was a total disappointment in many ways and the album title, cover and production were bad.
- he thinks Point Of Entry is a weak album with only three great songs (HOTTH, Desert Plains and Hot Rockin').
- he still hasn't listened to the Ripper albums in full.
- he thinks Nostradamus is a fantastic album and according to him, the band was a little bit scared to play it in full with a theatrical production and that's why they played only two songs live from that album.
- he thinks Firepower is one of their all time best albums.

About the stage set for the 50th Anniversary Tour: he says that the idea (or his idea) is the stage to look like a massive (steel) factory and to includes a molten metal and a giant inflatable bull before the band appeared on stage.

Last edited:

- he thinks Rocka Rolla album was a total disappointment in many ways and the album title, cover and production were bad.
- he thinks Point Of Entry is a weak album with only three great songs (HOTTH, Desert Plains and Hot Rockin').
- he thinks Nostradamus is a fantastic album and according to him, the band was a little bit scared to play it in full with a theatrical production and that's why they played only two songs live from that album.

About the stage set for the 50th Anniversary Tour: he says that the idea (or his idea) is the stage to look like a massive (steel) factory and to includes a molten metal and a giant inflatable bull before the band appeared on stage.
So basically that sounds like a Priest fan from a younger generation.

- he thinks Rolla album was a total disappointment in many ways and the album title, cover and production were bad.

Let’s use spoiler tags for people who haven’t read

Reactions: Yax

So a big massive stage similar to the Metal Conqueror Tour or Painkiller Tour? That would be rad.

Wait a minute...have we talked about this before...?!!!?!

Apparently Don Airey doubled all of Ian Hill's bass parts for the entire Painkiller album?! According to them it's because, "the songs were so fast that a bass doesn't sound good!" and because Ian "wasn't very well" at the time...so Don doubled all of the bass parts on a Moog.

I mean...I've always thought Ian Hill was an absolute shit bass player, but WOW.

And Dave Holland did not play on Ram It Down, Satriani did ninja guitar work (secret session guitarist) on unnamed famous album to pay for extra studio time on Surfing. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal to me and it's not that uncommon. It's the golden era of the recording industry's dirty laundry.

That being said, Halford has talked about this. Ian's bass tracks were mixed with Don's synth bass. I guess they were recorded after Don's, in that case. Don't know what's true though, because the bass isn't very audible, and to be honest, it doesn't matter. The drum machines on Ram It Down and Defenders is a much bigger issue to me.

As for Ian, I think he works great for Priest. There's no room for flamboyant bass playing, and Ian's playing is very tight. Very simplistic, but real tight.

Last edited:
And Dave Holland did not play on Ram It Down, Satriani did ninja guitar work (secret session guitarist) on unnamed famous album to pay for extra studio time on Surfing. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal to me and it's not that uncommon. It's the golden era of the recording industry's dirty laundry.

That being said, Halford has talked about this. Ian's bass tracks were mixed with Don's synth bass. Don't know what's true though, and to be honest, it doesn't matter. The drum machines on Ram It Down and Defenders is a much bigger issue to me.

As for Ian, I think he works great for Priest. There's no room for flamboyant bass playing, and Ian's playing is very tight. Very simplistic, but real tight.
You can still be simplistic and tight while actually adding to the music. See Geezer Butler.

Priest have cool riffs and good solos, but the riffs aren't insanely difficult or sonically overwhelming. A better bassist would enhance the band. A better bassist would enhance any band.

In most instances, I would agree. Bass is important. I just don't think it is in Priest, and shouldn't. Geezer would, within the confines of Priest, be overplaying. I really don't think there's room for much more than thumping root notes for the most part. The guitars do the talking, or rather, should be left to do the talking. I'm also confident that Ian is holding back. Just check the Rocka Rolla album. It's not incredible playing, by any means, but it's definitely more busy.

Back