Judas Priest

I saw Epitaph the DVD for a very low price the other day. Should I get it?

Rob did fine. The Sentinel was better earlier in the tour, he did the high intro to Blood Red Skies during the first leg and then went down an octave (it sounds good an octave lower but, you know, it's not the same). Painkiller should as usual be skipped. Other than that it's solid. Rob sounds great for a 60 + guy. Definitely better than say, Steven Tyler.

Aha, could that be during a game of pool?

I still don't own that DVD either. I haven't bought live material by Priest since 2005 (Rising in the East* was the last one).
But I have tickets for the next concert!

* this DVD also has Diamonds and Rust.

Yeah, I saw that years ago in a metal pub (I think when @Forostar and @national acrobat were in town), and I was blown away by it. I was wondering if the rest of the DVD is as good, though.
Epitaph is from 2013, it must have been another version, probably Rising in the East?

Last edited:
Honestly I was very disappointed with the DVD. Compared to the shows I saw the performance was very stale and the whole band (especially Rob) sounds really tired. I'd say go for it if you really want to see the rarities but knowing your general opinion of Priest it probably isn't essential.

Aha, could that be during a game of pool?

Yeah, the one where you made me look like a complete amateur. -_-

but knowing your general opinion of Priest

I do sound a bit harsh sometimes, but I really like Priest a lot. I just think they're a bit overrated. Having said that, they're playing here on the 9. of June, and I'm wondering if I should go. 59 Euros is a bit expensive for a ticket, but I would be ready to pay it.

I think it was. I vaguely remember us talking about it.

Indeed. I remember I had it on cassette (or part of it because it is less long), but this surely sounds better.

Also I recommend everyone who does not think much of Steeler and You Don't Have to Be Old to Be Wise, to take a listen. These songs really came to live on this tour.

Also: a British Steel tour-set without both Metal Gods and Breaking the Law?? :---)

EDIT:
This is the best sounding Priest bootleg I've ever heard, although this Denver one comes damn close:
Devil's Spine (NY, Palladium) 23-7-1981. Haven't found it online (streaming) yet, but will get back as soon as I have.

EDIT 2:
This is the one:

That's a really good one. Do you have the Chicago show from '81? From the versions I have, I think the Chicago show has the NY show beat by a little bit as far as sound quality goes. But I'm sure there's multiple versions floating around. Interesting how You don't have to be old to be wise was the song they tried to use as the big singalong song. It's so hard to imagine why they wouldn't play Metal Gods. That's probably my favorite priest song of all time. I just never get tired of that. I feel like Chicago or that NY show should've been released officially but for Point of Entry, there's obviously not as much of a demand as British steel or the other tours. So it's not like they'll do a 35th anniversary release of Point of Entry or anything like that.

Honestly I was very disappointed with the DVD. Compared to the shows I saw the performance was very stale and the whole band (especially Rob) sounds really tired. I'd say go for it if you really want to see the rarities but knowing your general opinion of Priest it probably isn't essential.

Yeah he's kind of hit and miss sometimes these days. Depending on which part of a tour you catch them on. Even on the dvd from Japan from 2005 I didn't think his performance was anything to write home about, but I caught the band multiple times on that tour and he sounded a hundred times better on those shows.

That's a really good one. Do you have the Chicago show from '81? From the versions I have, I think the Chicago show has the NY show beat by a little bit as far as sound quality goes. But I'm sure there's multiple versions floating around. Interesting how You don't have to be old to be wise was the song they tried to use as the big singalong song. It's so hard to imagine why they wouldn't play Metal Gods. That's probably my favorite priest song of all time. I just never get tired of that. I feel like Chicago or that NY show should've been released officially but for Point of Entry, there's obviously not as much of a demand as British steel or the other tours. So it's not like they'll do a 35th anniversary release of Point of Entry or anything like that.
I don't have the Chicago show. I found some on YouTube but that didn't sound that good. Not sure if it's because of YT or the recording quality itself.

I'd never really compared these side-by-side before, but I realized that I prefer the version of "Diamonds and Rust" that is a bonus track on Rocka Rolla to the "regular" version on Sin After Sin. Compare for yourselves.

Rocka Rolla version:
Sin After Sin version:
Unleashed in the East version, just because:
And for those who don't know, here's the original:

Last edited:
Yesterday I went to Priest. 2nd row on the left. They were great! Halford was pretty good as well, in most songs! Faulkner is a cool guy. Throws lots of picks during (more often than in between) songs. The first he threw was caught by yours truly. :clap:

Faulkner did a great solo at the end of You've Got Another Thing Coming. Very tight and fast, with also a melodic pattern at some point.
(6:05)
I noticed that the whole band was really into it and having fun. Only Tipton looked a bit tired (also had some weaker moments when soloing), but he's a bit older than the rest. ;)

EDIT:
Found this photo from last night (source):
MG_2399-960x640.jpg

Last edited:
Recorded before Richie was in Priest. (@Zare and @SixesAlltheway, @CriedWhenBrucieLeft,@Ariana and @The Flash and @The Mid-Distance Runner I tagged you because I thought you were no regular Priest topic visitors and I thought you'd appreciate this as well)

Here is a version paying tribute to one of the most amazing guitarists ever to walk the earth, Mr. David Gilmour. A great song, an amazing guitar player and an absolute pleasure to play.

3 solos from 2 of the guys that inspired me to play rock guitar. Dave Murray and Adrian Smith were and still are a huge influence on my playing and the Powerslave album is one of my favorite Maiden albums. Amazing band. Amazing guitarists. Amazing solos. Enjoy!!

Another tribute to the most influential guitar player to have ever lived.
This was the first song that I ever played live and I still love playing it.
The guitar is a 61 re-issue SG. Just like the one Jimi used on the Dick Cavett show!!

Last edited:
Comfortably Numb and Powerslave were nice, but All Along the Watchtower was something else. Really enjoyed that one.

Nice, especially All Along the Watchtower.
His Powerslave karaoke track is kinda fast :D

Back