Judas Priest

Indeed. I remember I had it on cassette (or part of it because it is less long), but this surely sounds better.

Also I recommend everyone who does not think much of Steeler and You Don't Have to Be Old to Be Wise, to take a listen. These songs really came to live on this tour.

Also: a British Steel tour-set without both Metal Gods and Breaking the Law?? :---)

EDIT:
This is the best sounding Priest bootleg I've ever heard, although this Denver one comes damn close:
Devil's Spine (NY, Palladium) 23-7-1981. Haven't found it online (streaming) yet, but will get back as soon as I have.

EDIT 2:
This is the one:
Judas_Priest-1981-07-23-Front.jpg

Judas_Priest-1981-07-23-Back.jpg

It is on YouTube, but unfortunately the versions I find are either incomplete, either the (upload) quality isn't that good. I have it in MP3 and it sounds absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:
A very basic question, and we might have done it before but: what are your favourite Priest songs? Could you make a top 20 or 1o?

In the course of the last months I've been busy with some kind of Priest "project" with my wife and a friend. Goal: to get our favourite 10 songs (or 20, but from there we go to 10).

We didn't listen to all the songs in order, nor did we do it in a completely random manner. The listening sessions were split up in album halves. The order of these halves was roughly based on having variation in different decades. We ended with the strongest two album halves:
Side A of Defenders of the Faith and side B of Painkiller. Plus we added the (imo) best bonus tracks, namely:

Race with the Devil
Prisoner of Your Eyes
Living Bad Dreams
Heart of a Lion

It's still not done. At the moment I have these 35 songs as my favourites and I still need some cutting to do.

Run of the Mill
Dreamer Deceiver
Deceiver
Sinner
Here Come the Tears
Dissident Aggressor
Beyond the Realms of Death
Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Breaking the Law
Heading Out to the Highway
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Fever
Freewheel Burning
Jawbreaker
Rock Hard Ride Free
The Sentinel
Some Heads Are Gonna Role
Turbo Lover
Locked In
Hot for Love
Reckless
Ram It Down
Hard as Iron
Blood Red Skies
I'm a Rocker
Painkiller
Hell Patrol
Night Crawler
Between the Hammer & the Anvil
A Touch of Evil
One Shot at Glory
Demonizer
Alone
Future of Mankind

Five Defenders of the Faith songs, five Painkiller songs. Only three post-Painkiller-era songs, and nothing from the Ripper albums.

It might be easier to do a top 10 rather than 20.

Last edited:
Top 20 Priest songs? Yeah I can do that and I'll list them in chronological order too.

Victim of Changes
Dreamer Deceiver
Tyrant
Sinner
Dissident Aggressor
Race With the Devil
Beyond the Realms of Death
Screaming For Vengeance
Rock Hard Ride Free
The Sentinel
Blood Red Skies
Painkiller
Night Crawler
A Touch of Evil
Burn in Hell
Bullet Train
Cathedral Spires
Angel
Exiled
Alone

Looks about right. My 3 favourite Priest albums each have 3 tracks (Sin After Sin has Race With the Devil as a bonus, but Starbreaker is #21 anyway). Exciter, Rapid Fire, Freewheel Burning and Between the Hammer & the Anvil are the next 4. The most slightly surprising thing would probably be the 3 Jugulator songs in the top 20, but those songs I believe are top notch. The consistency is something I criticize of Jugulator though, with it's lows being much much worse than any of my higher ranked albums.

I'll give it a shot. This is tough because they are an albums band for me.
What I've always loved about Priest is the scope and variety.
So, off the top of my head, chronological order with no relistening:

Beyond the Realms
Hell Bent For Leather
Green Manalishi (Unleashed)
Victim of Changes (Unleashed)
Metal Gods
Desert Plains
Electric Eye
Riding on the Wind
Rock Hard Ride Free
The Sentinel
Night Crawler
Alone

Pretty conventional list, and if I tried to make it a top 20, it would probably turn into a top 50-something.
So there you go.

I was only busy with studio material myself but I admit that I probably prefer the majority of the (regular) Unleashed songs over their studio versions.
Cool to see Alone in all three our lists. Let's see how that one will do in Unknown's current survivor.

We just finished that game I talked about. After we played various songs for the second time the decisions were made, and these are the top 20s.

Mine:
01 Between the Hammer & the Anvil
02 Rock Hard Ride Free
03 Painkiller
04 Fever
05 Blood Red Skies
06 One Shot at Glory
07 Reckless
08 Beyond the Realms of Death
09 Run of the Mill
10 Some Heads Are Gonna Role
11 The Sentinel
12 Here Come the Tears
13 Dreamer Deceiver
14 Dissident Aggressor
15 Sinner
16 Hell Patrol
17 Night Crawler
18 Hot for Love
19 Jawbreaker
20 Locked In

My wife's:
01 Painkiller
02 Night Crawler
03 Blood Red Skies
04 One Shot at Glory
05 A Touch of Evil
06 Between the Hammer & the Anvil
07 Rock Hard Ride Free
08 Freewheel Burning
09 The Sentinel
10 Reckless
11 Jawbreaker
12 All Guns Blazing
13 Turbo Lover
14 Rapid Fire
15 Here Come the Tears
16 Beyond the Realms of Death
17 Hot for Love
18 Dreamer Deceiver
19 Sinner
20 Alone

My friend's:
01 Night Crawler
02 The Sentinel
03 Jawbreaker
04 Hard as Iron
05 Painkiller
06 Electric Eye
07 Rock Hard Ride Free
08 Some Heads Are Gonna Role
09 Between the Hammer & the Anvil
10 Breaking the Law
11 You've Got Another Thing Coming
12 Leather Rebel
13 Blood Red Skies
14 Freewheel Burning
15 Fever
16 Turbo Lover
17 Hot for Love
18 Running Wild
19 Tyrant
20 Halls of Valhalla

These songs we had all three, and the bold ones were in all our top 10s:
Between the Hammer & the Anvil
Rock Hard Ride Free
Painkiller

Blood Red Skies
The Sentinel
Night Crawler
Hot for Love
Jawbreaker

Last edited:
Redeemer could be my fave Priest!

They're a strange lot these guys.
Most bands go through spring (rise), summer(glory), autumn(fall) and winter(reflective) periods, but, as far as I can make out, the 2nd album of each period (of 5 albums?) belongs in the following 'season'.
Spring-RR, SWOD(summer?), SAS, SC, KM.
Summer-BS, POE(fall?), SFV, DOTF, Turbo.
Fall-RID, PK(winter?), Metal Works comp(to fit 5), Jugulator, Demolition.
Winter-AOR, Nostrodamus(spring?), ROS, ?, ?.

Making them fit to 5 a season highlighting the 2nd may be incorrect, but they do have albums out of place with a current trend.

I'd have to say release date as quality will always be subjective.
However, it's common for bands to go through a rise and fall and which part you like best will depend on the band in question.
Maiden, for example, would go IM-POM/PS-7TH(inc. LAD)/NP-VX1/BNW-TFF. All their stuff logically fits together. Priest's stuff doesn't. POE sticks out where it is, as does PK. Nostrodamus is a new departure for them very late in their career. SWOD, with Victim and Genocide, seems 'better' than the albums around it.
Personal opinions creeping in. I don't have the answers.

From: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ozzy-osbourne-judas-priest-motorhead-tour/
Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne and Motorhead will tour next year, according to Pollstar. At least one show has already been confirmed in Brazil.

Scheduled for April 30, 2015, at Porto Alegre’s Zequinha Stadium, this exciting triple bill follows the Monsters of Rock Festival on April 25-26, which is set to feature Osbourne, Judas Priest and Motorhead (as well as Kiss) performing at Sao Paulo’s Arena Anhembi.

Heavily bearded(!) John Petrucci joins his wife (I think she's one of the guitarists) in Priest tribute band.

That's a good cover. A really powerful singer.

When she sings the "YEAH! I will start again" she reminds me of Labrie's singing in a song from Awake :D Can't remember which one right now, though.

Back