Judas Priest

KK's playing with a ton of heart and passion, as you said, but so is Richie. Where KK is mindlessly shredding, Richie is shredding with purpose (and melody). I'd also argue Richie is doing the original solo more justice.
That’s pretty much it. Only in rock music can you have a clearly better solo get knocked for not having heart and passion, makes no sense.

That’s pretty much it. Only in rock music can you have a clearly better solo get knocked for not having heart and passion, makes no sense.

‘Clearly better’? It’s all a matter of opinion. One is the original and the other the imitator.

‘Clearly better’? It’s all a matter of opinion. One is the original and the other the imitator.
Honestly, to me it's the worst rendition of the VoC solo I've heard KK play. It's way too bloated. The Rising in the East solo for instance towers way, way above (and is better than Richies, wheareas in the two videos above, Richie wins by far).

Last edited:
Well there’s my point. Every argument about KK being better comes with the “he is the original” comment. And Richie isn’t even imitating anything.

Pretty sure if Richie and KK had their guitar abilities swapped and Richie came in as a replacement but also a sloppier player he would get dragged through the mud as a lesser player (see Maiden fans who still aren’t over Janick as an example of this). But since KK came first, there are a segment of fans who will never accept Richie no matter how much he brings to the table.

Honestly, to me it's the worst rendition of the VoC solo I've heard KK play. It's way too bloated. The Rising in the East solo for instance towers way, way above for instance.

I haven’t watched the video, I’ve watched a lot of KKs priest stuff recently and I’m a bit KK’d out.
There are nights where he makes mistakes or seems tired, he’s the same age as my dad and he never gets out of his chair. But when it’s good, it’s great. It just hits me somewhere deep, and makes me feel how I did when I fell in love with metal. Watching him bound around the stage at his age is just an inspiration.

Here's a recent gig of KK playing Victim of Changes:

And here's Richie playing it recently:

KK's playing with a ton of heart and passion, as you said, but so is Richie. Where KK is mindlessly shredding, Richie is shredding with purpose (and melody). I'd also argue Richie is doing the original solo more justice.

I wouldn't pick KK's playing on anything over Richie's in a million years.
So glad we can see those two vids side by side. Richie is playing so much better, clearer and melody driven over KK.

Well there’s my point. Every argument about KK being better comes with the “he is the original” comment. And Richie isn’t even imitating anything.

Pretty sure if Richie and KK had their guitar abilities swapped and Richie came in as a replacement but also a sloppier player he would get dragged through the mud as a lesser player (see Maiden fans who still aren’t over Janick as an example of this). But since KK came first, there are a segment of fans who will never accept Richie no matter how much he brings to the table.

I've seen Priest 6 or 7 times, and they were hit and miss as a live band, I saw Scorpions mop the floor with them as an opening act on their own big comeback tour, and they were without doubt a better live act in the two gigs I saw with Richie and Sneap

The gig was very good. I've never heard a better performance of Saints in Hell than the one they delivered on Saturday. I was lucky to witness one of the first shows on the tour too, so I could notice improvements they've made in the meantime. At this point, Painkiller is boring to me, but this time it was really enjoyable, Rob tried to sing it as well as possible.
I'm curious about the summer leg of the tour and I'm hoping for some changes in the setlist.

The gig was very good. I've never heard a better performance of Saints in Hell than the one they delivered on Saturday. I was lucky to witness one of the first shows on the tour too, so I could notice improvements they've made in the meantime. At this point, Painkiller is boring to me, but this time it was really enjoyable, Rob tried to sing it as well as possible.
I'm curious about the summer leg of the tour and I'm hoping for some changes in the setlist.
What early gig did you seen this tour?

Last edited:
I was massively impressed with Saints in Hell too, it's not a song I'm overly keen on and I didn't think Rob had it in him anymore but he absolutely nailed it. I also think he actually managed to go higher on a few lines of Painkiller, which was still impressive despite being out of key. :lol:

Back