Judas Priest

Two interesting columns. :)

Very poor review to Uriah Heep and Saxon. Just a paragraph and say that the fans was there just for the classics? come on man! All three bands have a phenomenal last album

Judas Priest/Saxon/Uriah Heep 21/3/24

I don’t, and probably never will own any Uriah Heep material, but they were great fun. An excellent opener, sounded great. Might buy a keyboard just to bash my elbows on it.

Saxon is why I’m here. Loved and left them twice since ‘80, now it’s ‘til death do us part.
They had some mix problems which may have included monitors as even Biff got out of time.
Last time live was ‘86 with new bass player, and it wasn’t enjoyable. Much, much better tonight although the *new* guitarists can’t match the originals live. Churlish to mention maybe, as it’s a different world and I’m happy we’re all doing the same 40 years on, but it’s an observation.
Biff commands the stage like a Shakespearean actor. Lungs sound great. The man’s a legend.
Nigel and Nibbs on form.

Judas Priest has been with me since ‘81. Great set, but would’ve cut Turbo, Bites and that old tart’s handbag Painkiller for some more old, but that’ll never happen. Glenn’s appearance was both heart warming and heart breaking.
Last, and only other, time live December ‘83. I was 19 and of course that was better. Richie Faulkner is an excellent guitarist, but when he launched into Sinner I immediately thought “I miss KK”. It almost seemed like a tribute! Like Saxon, those times can’t be repeated and we got to be grateful for what we’ve got, but Sinner smacked it in your face!
Rob does what he can nowadays, but his sheer presence is spellbinding enough.
Ian Hill subtle as ever, the sound breaking though on occasion.

Yeah, a good time, and probably the last for me with these guys.

After a few shows,

Priest has replaced some of the ''deep cuts'' with a regular classics: Sword, Old To Be Wise, Sinner - with Lightning Strike, Victim and Metal Gods. I thought that was the core setlist, more or less.

I guess more rare songs and more material from the new album will slowly be introduced into the set during the legs of the tour.

It's happened before. They rotate Victim of Changes and Sinner regularly, so VoC didn't replace Sinner permanently.

The question why they play Metal Gods without Glenn is a mystery to me. I'm fine with replacing Old to Be Wise with this one, but only if Glenn appears. Also, the placement of Metal Gods is terrible - it should be one of the first songs in the setlist or a part of the encore.

Lightning Strike has been played during every European tour since 2018, so it doesn't make sense to play it again now. They should just choose some other song from the albums released in the 21st century, even Firepower songs, such as Necromancer or Evil Never Dies, which were never played in Europe. Hell, Redeemer of Souls would be better than Lightning Strike.

It should be noted that this situation could have happened because it was their second gig in Germany. The same thing happened in the UK, so such big changes might occur only when they're booked for more than one show in a single country. I'm not annoyed with the changes since I've already seen one show, so both VoC and MG could be quite refreshing if they play it at my second concert, but they should rethink some of their decisions.

Also, they're probably testing The Serpent and the King since the official video for the track can be seen on the screens in the video showing their rehearsal:

Back