Judas Priest

Diesel 11

Und die Welt zählt laut bis zehn...
I dunno, Richie seems pretty happy with the whole situation so I don’t think he needs Kenny Boy to speak up for him on his behalf. Besides, he looks better playing the Flying V than Downing ever did. :ninja:

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
I can live with this top 10 (posted and liked on Facebook by Judas Priest):
https://www.kerrang.com/features/the-10-best-judas-priest-albums/?fbclid=IwAR048rAY0_VQwO3644ILIbiyKufDYjSUVmC4foN3h-xlsqwCcapfKeWpSAk

Great top 5. Sin After Sin is the best seventies album and Defenders is the number one.

"Defenders of the Faith is frequently overlooked in favour of its predecessor Screaming for Vengeance. In terms of breaking the band and overall impact, there’s no denying that Screaming… was more important but here they perfected the formula. Freewheel Burning, The Sentinel, Jawbreaker… these are slabs of pure metal perfection and this is the pinnacle of Priest. And, therefore, classic metal as a whole."

British Steel above Screaming for Vengeance. Excellent decision.

Last edited:

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
I prefer Painkiller over Defenders, although the latter has the best A side of all records. I prefer Steel somewhat over Vengeance.

Edington

More Than Two Problems
I prefer Painkiller over Defenders, although the latter has the best A side of all records
Definitely can't argue with that. Painkiller's first half is only really let down by "All Guns Blazing", I feel like that's the most filler-ish song on that album. Sweet solo from Glenn (of course), I can't help but compare it to the title track, I don't think it quite captures the same energy as that song.

I think BS has a little too much filler to be ranked so highly. SFV certainly has its share, but I'd say it's a more well thought-out album and it's closer to the "true" Judas Priest sound.

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
I am not so bothered by the least interesting songs such as Living After Midnight and United but I really enjoy the rest.

The highs on Vengeance are very great though. I love the eeriness of the melodic, haunting stuff such as Fever and Take These Chains. Powerful works.

Steel is simpler but every song has memorable riffs.

GhostofCain

Ancient Mariner
https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/judas-priest-very-upset-debut-south-african-gigs-have-been-axed/

Judas Priest said:
“Due to circumstances totally beyond our control we are extremely sorry to have to announce that because of logistical and technical reasons the South African shows have been cancelled - we are very disappointed that this has happened as we were looking forward to performing in South Africa for our fans there for the first time - we have been touring the world for nearly 50 years and have always honoured our commitments - we are all very upset about this situation”.
I wonder if the logistical reasons have anything to with not having sold enough tickets...

Zare

Automaton Sovietico
JP has issues generating new fans and playing new markets. The first, last, and only time they played in Croatia we were still in Yugoslavia. They had organized a show in late 2000s, we bought tickets, they canceled. I cannot believe someone compares this band with Iron Maiden.

MrKnickerbocker

clap hands

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Does really the Painkiller album wasn't very big when it was released back in 1990 ? o_O

I thought it was an instant classic. For me it was and I think the fans really liked it and considered it to be a classic from day one. Although, K.K. says otherwise:
The Painkiller album wasn’t very big when we first released it; it was just medicore. But it started to gain momentum year after year, and it started to become a big album.

https://metalheadzone.com/ex-judas-priest-guitarist-reveals-surprising-fact-about-painkiller-album/

Black Bart

Ancient Mariner
Does really the Painkiller album wasn't very big when it was released back in 1990 ? o_O

I thought it was an instant classic. For me it was and I think the fans really liked it and considered it to be a classic from day one. Although, K.K. says otherwise:
That's where you realize that a good management is crucial: how many records are deemed "classic" and yet the bands that have created them are not that big...

Diesel 11

Und die Welt zählt laut bis zehn...
I remember some member on here never having heard Painkiller because he'd left them behind after the previous albums. Those people definitely existed at the time and may still exist today.