Judas Priest

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...ayer_on_the_planet_has_been_on_ug_by_now.html

Another interview with KK, must be doing the rounds as his book is coming out. Will have to pick it up, sounds like an interesting read.

I find that answer kinda interesting:

''It’s just one of those things that came together, musically, myself and Glenn both wrote some stuff on keyboards and synth guitar for those classical pieces. But it was really fun to do. It came together very quickly too because we weren’t scratching around trying to write another “Breaking the Law” or another “Painkiller” or something. It was completely fresh. So it happened really quickly. It had sort of an alternative feel. It was a fantastic thing to do, I think. I still love to play it and listen to it and enjoy it. Rob’s performance was incredible throughout the whole thing as well. So that [album] was a different dimension for him. I understand that the Priest fans didn’t get it, they know what they want. They want consistency like they get from AC/DC or Iron Maiden or something like that where they stick to what they know and what they do best. But I’d have to say that I’m very happy that we did that album.''

I find that answer kinda interesting:

''It’s just one of those things that came together, musically, myself and Glenn both wrote some stuff on keyboards and synth guitar for those classical pieces. But it was really fun to do. It came together very quickly too because we weren’t scratching around trying to write another “Breaking the Law” or another “Painkiller” or something. It was completely fresh. So it happened really quickly. It had sort of an alternative feel. It was a fantastic thing to do, I think. I still love to play it and listen to it and enjoy it. Rob’s performance was incredible throughout the whole thing as well. So that [album] was a different dimension for him. I understand that the Priest fans didn’t get it, they know what they want. They want consistency like they get from AC/DC or Iron Maiden or something like that where they stick to what they know and what they do best. But I’d have to say that I’m very happy that we did that album.''

I agree with K.K. Quality wise Maiden have been much more consistent than his former band. :D

Yeah, that's a bit odd. For one thing I wouldn't call Priest "consistent". How could fans really want "consistency" when each of Priest's albums have been so different in sound and style?

I kind of get the Maiden comment. They do have a particular style of songwriting, but it's nowhere near AC/DC levels.

I think that’s what he was saying. Maiden and AC/DC are consistent in style, Priest not so much. That being said, Priest has settled into a traditional Metal sound since KK’s departure.

I read it as KK saying that Priest were consistent until "Nostradamus", which fans were less than pleased with.

I understand that the Priest fans didn’t get it, they know what they want. They want consistency like they get from AC/DC or Iron Maiden...

Though you're right, Priest weren't that consistent, which is why I find his comment confusing.

Veering off topic briefly, this just popped up as a suggestion on YouTube (does it know what I've been talking about here?), anybody ever seen this?

Yes. Page 39.
Not sure if this has been posted before, but here is Priest at the Reading Festival, UK, prior to Sad Wings of Destiny.

From the uploaders description:
This never-before-seen video is easily the most historically important, and also the earliest known, Judas Priest concert footage to ever surface yet. It is from their legendary performance at the 1975 Reading and Leeds Festival, and was shot on a Super 8 camera. Seeing as how this remarkable live footage is unavailable anywhere on YouTube or the whole Internet for that matter, I decided to share it with all my fellow metal maniacs who also love classic old school metal in general and Judas Priest in particular. You can clearly see how it was at this stage that the Judas Priest earnestly began moving away from the psychedelic boogie/blues rock of Rocka Rolla and pushing towards the true pure heavy metal sound that they'd go on to develop on Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin After Sin. Enjoy!!! =)

And check this as well:
Check this as well:

1975.08.22. Reading, UK Setlist:

1. Victim of Changes
2. Dreamer Deceiver
3. Deciever
4. The Ripper
5. Mother Sun
6. Island of Domination
7. Rocka Rolla

This is the very first known recording of Judas Priest playing their own songs. (The first recording of Priest playing was an other band's song called Budgie - the song is Running from my Soul, and the date is 1974.02.11.) Unusual impovisations, never heard sounds in classic songs. A must for every Priest maniac!

-Before their set, John Hinch remembers how the band were very nervous to leave their dressing room and go on stage. No, it wasn't a case of stage-fright, but actually fear for their own safety - for you see, a band called Stella opened the three-day event, with Judas Priest following next, and the audience responded to Stella by throwing so many cans, bottles and other things at them that they had to quickly exit the stage! Fortunately the members of Judas Priest overcame their apprehension to this hostile crowd and took the stage, opening with "Victim Of Changes" - this time to rapturous applause!

- "Last night, it seemed for a while that the only highlight was going to be a young lady in crutch throttling shorts, who flitted about the press arena. Stella, the first act to tread the virgin stage flopped. A three-piece from Durham, they produced a string of monotonous songs about nightmares, a lad who got his thrills wearing concrete boots, and a lunatic on holiday by the seaside. Adding to the atmosphere, the singer did chilling impersonations of Frankenstein's monster. The lead guitarist, who looked as if he had been involved in an argument with a lawn mower, plunked merrily away. "You get that crazy feeling you don't want to be a rock star", droned the singer during one number. Stella are certainly going the right way not to hit the lofty heights of stardom.

When Judas Priest appeared, things looked up. Lesson number one at a festival is to get the audience on their feet and clapping. Judas Priest have a commanding, self assured air. Lead singer Bob Halford, resplendent in medieval style jacket, had the audience in the palm of his hand. Following in the footsteps of Black Sabbath and Budgie, Judas Priest's music is as heavy as a ton of lead. Guitarists K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton set up a relentless assault - cutting across one another and then spiraling off individually. At one point K.K. launched off into a Hendrix style solo, sounds catapulting across from one set of speakers to the other. Strangely, the rhythm section seems to be lacking in the band. Bass and drums were drowned out, as Tipton and Downing thrashed away." - Reading Evening Post, August 23, 1975

Yes, they wrote Bob Halford... there were a lot of jokes about that, you can imagine :D

It would be better for Judas Priest at this stage of their career to headline appropriately sized venues. They can't have much time left so supporting a man decades past his use by date is very disappointing to see. I wonder if Sharon and the promoters don't think Ozzy is a big enough draw to sell enough tickets in these venues himself so needs a sweetener to entice more people to buy tickets.

I wonder if Sharon and the promoters don't think Ozzy is a big enough draw to sell enough tickets in these venues himself so needs a sweetener to entice more people to buy tickets.

This being his "Final Tour" would be a big enough draw, no?

Personally, Priest supporting has made me consider going... but I imagine prices will be through the damn roof, and not being that big of an Ozzy fan I couldn't justify that cost.

I’d consider going to this if it came to the states. Neither are artists I’m interested in seeing anymore but together it could be a cool experience.

It would be better for Judas Priest at this stage of their career to headline appropriately sized venues. They can't have much time left so supporting a man decades past his use by date is very disappointing to see. I wonder if Sharon and the promoters don't think Ozzy is a big enough draw to sell enough tickets in these venues himself so needs a sweetener to entice more people to buy tickets.
I thought about posting pretty much this earlier but thought it would go down like a lead balloon. Would love to see Priest again in a venue that doesn't swamp them, definitely don't want to see Ozzy the Ozzy Impersonator.

Edit: I think Mosh has hit the nail on the head. Two old/'retro'-cool acts for the price of one.

There's probably more money for them in going on the road with Ozzy than doing their own small-scale headline tour unfortunately...

Back