Judas Priest

Damn I nailed it!
Priest would not have room for 4 new songs in the set.

Why? If both Metallica and Maiden could play 6 new songs on their most recent album tours (the latter containing 2 epics and an 8-minute opener in a 15-song set), then I see no reason why Priest couldn't play at least 4 or 5 shorter tracks off Firepower. Hell, even AC/DC often wheeled out 4 new songs on tours (Rock or Bust excepted)

Why? If both Metallica and Maiden could play 6 new songs on their most recent album tours (the latter containing 2 epics and an 8-minute opener in a 15-song set), then I see no reason why Priest couldn't play at least 4 or 5 shorter tracks off Firepower. Hell, even AC/DC often wheeled out 4 new songs on tours (Rock or Bust excepted)
I based my prediction on their recent tour history. Priest has not played 4 or more songs from a new cd in one night in over a decade (not since Angel of Retribution tour in 2005). But i do wish tbey would. Also, since I missed the last tour, I was hoping they would play at least 1 song from Redeemer.

I based my prediction on their recent tour history. Priest has not played 4 or more songs from a new cd in one night in over a decade (not since Angel of Retribution tour in 2005). But i do wish tbey would. Also, since I missed the last tour, I was hoping they would play at least 1 song from Redeemer.
Yeah, I get your point about recent history - was just hoping they'd make an exception for Firepower given all the good press it's received, as well as the very real possibility of this being Priest's last album. With any luck they might toggle a couple of new songs

Yeah, super pumped about
Saints in Hell, one of my straight up favourite Priest songs
. Also excited for the stuff from the new album! Can't wait.

Pity they're not doing more Firepower stuff, the album is full of short songs, ideal for playing live. I guess 'play classics' is in too much demand.

It saddens me to admit it but waiting 25 years for a Maiden record that I truly appreciate is a long time. I was raised with Maiden since I was 10 years old and now I am 40. I actually think Maiden need to focus a bit more and cut the damn extra fat from their songs. Like Bruce did in his solo offerings. Like Priest always did even when Rob was off(minus the extremely boring Nostradamus record- ok the actual song was amazing). I would love to see Maiden provide a well structured, punchy, inspired record. I need to get one record that makes me feel like this last Priest record made me feel. I have no real intention to bash Maiden, I am just really disappointed by their record for way too long. They managed to make 3 guitars sound like 1 and a half in their records. I feel they could have done so many more things with their players. Anyway, back to the thread topic. I can't stop listening to Firepower. An full hour goes by and it feels like half that time. Great job guys.

I think a lot of it is in the production as well. More than anything, it would be cool to see Maiden take on a more modern metal sound (like Priest have) because Maiden do actually write those shorter punchier songs from time to time but they just don't "hit you in the face" because of the overall production I feel.

Well I would agree that this is partly due to the production. I think that the poor structures and arrangements have also to do with that.

If your opinion was the consensus, it'd be okay. But it's really not - and that's sad for people who don't like what is in Maiden right now, sure, and who knows what happens next time? But I'm glad you, too, like Firepower.

There are facts and then there are opinions. I feel that when a record is good, you don't necessarily need to be the specific band's fan to enjoy it. I know people that enjoy different metal genres....none of them had something bad to say about the Priest album. It is a fact that you don't need to push yourself to enjoy it. It flows effortlessly. Everyone I know did a major effort to like BOS, I assure you I am the last one still listening to it......cause I lived and breathed Maiden almost all my life. How can someone praise the Maiden albums that had a plethora of melodies, riffs and agile instrumentation.....and then also like BOS which has around one third of the riffs and melodies of an old Maiden album that has half the duration. Anyway. I don't mean to be rude. I am just really disappointed. At least it was an improvement over TFF.

At least Priest has been quite consistent and I am really happy with the new album.

*Is* Firepower a more modern metal sound? I consider it a mellower reboot of 80s Priest. Modern metal, to me, is nothing like old school heavy metal.

Back