Judas Priest

Steve was asked his opinion on a radio show. All he said was "Why not?" which is basically a diplomatic response. He was never going to come out and dismiss the idea out of respect for Judas Priest. A co-headline tour isn't going to happen. Iron Maiden don't do 75 minute shows and Judas Priest simply aren't big enough to command equal status with Iron Maiden. If they can't co-headline with Ozzy Osbourne then they certainly won't be co-headlining with Iron Maiden. I suppose they could be the main support act on a few stadium shows like Alter Bridge are next year in Europe - and Alter Bridge are a significantly bigger band than Judas Priest are in 2019.

Judas Priest need to be headlining their own shows in front of their own hardcore fans, not playing second fiddle to a washed up skeleton of a man or being eclipsed by Iron Maiden. Just let it go.

Why does it have to be 75 minutes? Is there a rule that says co-headlining tours have to be 75 minutes? I bet these co-headlining shows would sell out everywhere. We're talking about two of the most influential metal bands along with Black Sabbath.
The reason they don't co-headline with Ozzy is because it's his farewell tour and co-headlining farewell tours are unheard of.

Priest and Maiden could both play 100 minutes, no opening band.

Priest: 19:00-20:40
Maiden: 21:10-22:50

Why does it have to be 75 minutes? Is there a rule that says co-headlining tours have to be 75 minutes? I bet these co-headlining shows would sell out everywhere. We're talking about two of the most influential metal bands along with Black Sabbath.
The reason they don't co-headline with Ozzy is because it's his farewell tour and co-headlining farewell tours are unheard of.

Priest and Maiden could both play 100 minutes, no opening band.

Priest: 19:00-20:40
Maiden: 21:10-22:50

Incorrect because Judas Priest does not sell enough tickets to justify a 50/50 setlist with Maiden. I really, really enjoy Priest, but Firepower is the only amazing thing they have done since Painkiller. It's a simple matter: Maiden is bigger than Priest (in terms of sales, production, and performance).

Looking news about their tour dates, I imagine they must be in quite a pickle.

They probably have a contract with Ozzy and that thing is now entering in 2nd year of cancellation. Meanwhile he's putting a new album out and they're trying to sell this 50 year anniversary this summer only for them already being scheduled just a couple of months later (for which's show people already got tickets.) Quite unfortunate.

And even if I applaud them for their setlist choices lately I still would see them. Basically it's just Rob and Ian at this point which kind-of sends me this feel solo-act-with-a-former-member-as-a-guest vibe.

Considering this Iron Maiden-Judas Priest tour deal - that train's long gone...

Can Priest top the Firepower album? Do you expect that to happen?

It will be hard, but why not. I expect the next album will be also a very good one.

They could record a new album early next year, summer tour dates with 50th anniversary thing and supporting the new album in October when they tour with Ozzy.

They could record a new album early next year, summer tour dates with 50th anniversary thing and supporting the new album in October when they tour with Ozzy.

It seems the rescheduled dates with Ozzy will be part of their 50th Anniversary tour - funny thing is, when they announced these dates they were meant to be part of the (already finished) Firepower tour. :D

I'd very happily see Priest supporting Maiden, but like Mr K says, it wouldn't be a longer opening set. Maiden's opening acts tend to be relegated to sideshow status, and are often more yoof sort of bands to appeal to the kids. Or are relatives of a member of Maiden. Anyway, having seen Ghost support Maiden (and I am in the Ghost fan camp) I found having an opening band I was interested in and was capable of putting on a decent show on its own right sort of stole some of the impact from Maiden.

Apparently K.K. reached out to Priest about participating in the upcoming 50th Anniversary tour, but as he says: ''....and their response is they are not receptive to my participation in the band and they do not intend to include me in the 50th anniversary celebrations''.

He said that he will be again on the road next year.

Back