Judas Priest Survivor complete: PAIN! PAIN! KILLER! KILLER!

Vote for your LEAST favorite songs!

• Beyond The Realms Of Death

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Painkiller

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Re: Judas Priest Survivor: Painkiller round 4 (Nov 27-29)

^It's revenge for voting off Metal Meltdown. MM is (to me) easily a top-10 song.

Alright, time to vote for Victim of Changes then. Revenge!

^Just keeeedddinggg on the revenge thing. XD You can happily vote for something else. (please)

Freewheel Burning, Blood Red Skies and All Guns Blazing, please.

PS: How the hell (pun intended) could you eliminate Hell Patrol this early? That's a crime!

Re: Judas Priest Survivor: Painkiller round 5 (Nov 29 - Dec 1)

Go to the top of the page and vote for your LEAST favorite songs!
Rules are in this post. Please read them if you don't know what's going on here.

"Winner" of round 11.4: All Guns Blazing
Round 11.5 has now begun.

Eliminated:
11. ?
12. ?
13. ?
14. All Guns Blazing
15. Hell Patrol
16. Metal Meltdown
17 (tie). Screaming For Vengeance
17 (tie). Ram It Down
19. Leather Rebel

Blood Red Skies, One Shot At Glory, Hammer/Anvil

Re: Judas Priest Survivor: Painkiller round 6 (Dec 1-3)

Rules are in this post. Please read them if you don't know what's going on here.

"Winners" of round 11.5: Freewheel Burning, A Touch Of Evil
Round 11.6 has now begun.

Eliminated:
11. ?
12 (tie). Freewheel Burning
12 (tie). A Touch Of Evil
14. All Guns Blazing
15. Hell Patrol
16. Metal Meltdown
17 (tie). Ram It Down
19. Leather Rebel

Blood Red Skies, One Shot At Glory, Hammer/Anvil

Re: Judas Priest Survivor: Jugulator round 1 (Dec 3-5)

"Winners" of round 11.5: Freewheel Burning, A Touch Of Evil
Round 11.6 has now begun.

Eliminated:
11. Blood Red Skies
12 (tie). Freewheel Burning
12 (tie). A Touch Of Evil
14. All Guns Blazing
15. Hell Patrol
16. Metal Meltdown
17 (tie). Ram It Down
19. Leather Rebel

And so the Ripper era begins...
Re-listening to this album now. And remembering why I only listened to it once before. Will vote when I get done with this lousy album.

Edit: I have finished torturing myself. As I listen, I rate the songs in my itunes: one to five stars, no half-stars allowed.
Most of the songs only got one star because that's the lowest I can go. A few got 2 stars, but even then I was being generous.

So as far as I'm concerned, the whole album sucks. I'll let a few songs go until the end, but I'm mostly voting for the last songs... for the selfish reason that if they lose, it's easier to edit the poll next time.

This album I don't own, and I haven't listened to it before. I'm going to listen to it via Spotify right now.

Interesting to notice that of the 10 survivors from before Halford left, 4 are from Painkiller. Seems like the 1990 effort is a favourite among the Maiden-fans present at this board.

PS: Edit after listening to Jugulator:

My thoughts after one listen are:

- Owens sings good, but of course a bit different from Rob Halford. That does not make this album bad.
- On the other hand, the songs mostly sound uninspired. Most choruses are dull and the guitar solos sound like they're copied from Painkiller. There are just no great songs on the album.
- I enjoyed parts of Abductors and Cathedral Spires, the rest was forgettable.

My votes in this round go to the three last songs starting with a B.

There's a huge Machine Head influence all over the album. When it came out I thought that Priest tried to sound modern, in a forced way. I listened to it two days ago, and the thoughts haven't changed that much. If only some guitar solos could lift it up, but alas, the solos are messy, and are miles behind the efforts on Painkiller and all previous albums. It almost looks like the break Priest took was so long, that they forgot how to deliver a nice, melodic solo.

Favourite moment: the chorus of Cathedral Spires. The song is pretty good, only at the end it drags on too long (same goes for Loch Ness, we'll meet that track later on in this poll). Burn in Hell is pretty good too.

The album has its moments (and I still like it better than the next) but imo these tracks are not better than the 10 which are left.

Conclusion, I don't necessarily dislike the Ripper era because of Ripper, I like this era less than the Priest era because of the weaker songwriting and the worse soloing.

Sad, Blood Red Skies got eliminated. Anyway, on to Jugulator. One word=ew.

Genghis Khan said:
Jugulator
Dead Meat
Blood Stained
Jugulator and Blood Stained are awesome.  :(
Actually, the majority of the album is.

But I'll go with: Dead Meat, Death Row and
Decapitate

Forostar said:
It almost looks like the break Priest took was so long, that they forgot how to deliver a nice, melodic solo.
Tipton did however say that the theme around Jugulator is that there is no melody. That being said, I think the uninspired shredding could've been better still. If it's supposed to be aggressive shredding then at least make it stand out. 

Forostar said:
Conclusion, I don't necessarily dislike the Ripper era because of Ripper, I like this era less than the Priest era because of the weaker songwriting and the worse soloing.

Bingo. Exactly.

On my first listen ages ago, I had thought Ripper wasn't very good.
This time, I realized he's not doing bad. Not great, but certainly acceptable.
But the songs have no spark. None of the edge and sharpness Priest usually have.

In fact, this albums sound more like a bad Judas Priest imitation than the Priest I care about, if you know what I mean.

Back