Judas Priest Studio Album Survivor: Painkiller wins !

Satisfied?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually, I enjoy all songs on the debut, also the Winter-trilogy (Winter, Deep Freeze, Winter Retreat) and another little atmospheric instrumental called "Caviar and Meths". The only duller song is Cheater. But apart from that I find them all more interesting than Don't Go, Turning Circles, You Say Yes, All the Way and Troubleshooter: 5 songs without the slightest substance.

Even if Rocka Rolla is not so heavy, it possesses atmosphere, neat little riffs and superior lyrics and challenging singing. There's a certain darkness and originality in the seventies that I really appreciate.

I'm looking forward to revisiting Rocka Rolla for the discography discussion. There are quite a few Priest albums that probably haven't gotten enough attention from me, and that is one of them.

Actually, I enjoy all songs on the debut, also the Winter-trilogy (Winter, Deep Freeze, Winter Retreat) and another little atmospheric instrumental called "Caviar and Meths". The only duller song is Cheater. But apart from that I find them all more interesting than Don't Go, Turning Circles, You Say Yes, All the Way and Troubleshooter: 5 songs without the slightest substance.

Oh Rocka Rolla is miles better than Point of Entry. No doubt. What I like the most about Rocka Rolla is the fact that the bass plays primary role in many songs.

I'm looking forward to revisiting Rocka Rolla for the discography discussion. There are quite a few Priest albums that probably haven't gotten enough attention from me, and that is one of them.
Me too. Priest was my favourite band of the '80s and my off-the-cuff views are coloured by how I discovered them.
I'm really looking forward to a chance to challenge my biases.

Hill is quite audible in the mix as well. This started to change in the eighties. Maybe the debut suffers from the The X-Factor or Demolition syndrome, in the way that it has no fast songs (these other two have one or two fast(er) ones). So if people want to have their butts kicked, this is indeed a different album.

I am doing a "Moshy" because I am starting a new round before the previous finished. However, it's only one hour to go and the difference in votes is very clear already. Did we ever have such a clear result in any other band's discography?

Eliminated as least popular Priest studio album:

16. Demolition (2001)

Rules ...

SURVIVORRULESH_zps559d4996.jpg

... but note that I have put all studio ALBUMS in the first round. Also: I'll try to do 3 to 4 days per round. And: I won't rush with elimination, since there are not many albums.
CHANGE: I'll try to do something else (or old) again: maximum of 3 votes for the whole game until we reach the top 5 (maximum of 2 votes) and top 3 (1 vote).
- - - - - - -

This round I go for:
1981 Point of Entry
1997 Jugulator
2005 Angel of Retribution

This last selection might come as a surprise, but I am not so impressed by half of the songs. I love Hellrider and Demonizer and I have some appreciation for a number of others. I've considered other albums, with a number of also not enjoyable tracks (but of course I also looked at total quality), but this came out of it.

From the not so enjoyable ones, I'll mention the worst:
Revolution has a stupid chorus but especially Lochness is the most abhorrent album finish from their career. Seriously, how much duller and repetitive can a song get? :yawn: And who can (still) finish this whole album?

Last edited:
I wonder if I was the only one NOT to vote for "Demolition" in the first round? :lol:

Rocka Rolla
Point Of Entry
Turbo

Looks like Point of Entry is going to survive Turbo. These two can be seen as the softest or most commercial Priest albums. Lyrically, both contain horrible moments, but musically I really think Turbo has more to offer when it comes to catchy hooks. Especially more in the sense of quantity.

1. Turbo Lover + 2. Locked In + 3. Out in the Cold + 4. Hot For Love + 5. Reckless (5 out of 9; more than half of the album)
1. Heading Out to the Highway + 2. Desert Plains + 3. Solar Angels (3 out of 10; less than third of the album)

Last edited:
Both "Turbo" and "Point Of Entry" contain some amazing songs, but also some awful ones, especially in the case of "Turbo".

There's more average/lacklustre tracks on POF, but the bad songs on "Turbo" are worse than anything on POF. It's hard to choose between these two, because they both have their good and bad points which cancel each other out. There's more songs I love on "Turbo", but there's no songs I find awful on POF, whereas "Turbo" contains 3 songs I find absolutely cringeworthy.

Great songs on Turbo:

Turbo Lover
Locked In
Rock You All Around The World
Out In The Cold (My fave song on the album)
Hot For Love
Reckless

The 3 remaining songs on the album, I find to be awful.

Songs I love on Point Of Entry:

Heading Out To The Highway
Hot Rockin'
Desert Plains (Best song on the album for me)
Solar Angels

Songs I find good/above average:

Turning Circles
You Say Yes
Don't Go

The remaining 3 songs are a bit lacklustre to me, but they aren't as bad as the three bad songs on "Turbo".

Like I said, the two albums cancel each other out a bit, but I think I very slightly prefer POF overall.

Cheers for your take on this. The difference lies especially in that I do not love Hot Rockin' and I would not place these songs in good/above average category:
Turning Circles
You Say Yes
Don't Go.
But Rock You All Around The World I don't find great either. Actually, the worst three from Turbo are for me this one plus Parental Guidance and Private Property. You Say Yes falls in the same category, probably for me even worst of all songs of these albums.

Last edited:
"Hot Rockin'" has long been a favourite of mine, and I've loved it since I first heard the album in the early 90's. I've always had a soft spot for "You Say Yes". lol It sounds completely different to anything else in Priest's catalogue, but I find it's swinging, grooving vibe very infectious. The song is a bit silly, but I never skip it when I play the album, it's a nice bit of rocking fun! In the case of "Don't Go" and "Turning Circles", these are songs that I initially had the same opinion of as the other 3 lacklustre songs on the album. However, these 2 songs have grown a bit on me over the years, and I can imagine them being great "driving" songs. :)

"Rock You All Around The World" is an incredibly cheesy piece of pop-metal, but it's chorus is incredibly catchy! Though the thing that really elevates this song to the level of the other songs on the album which I love, is Glenn Tipton's soloing. His solos in that song are absolutely blistering, and wouldn't have been out of place on "Painkiller". They actually eschew the pop-metal leanings of the rest of the song, and are pure molten metal assaults. The solos on that track is one of the album's highlights for me. My three worst on the album, are "Private Property", "Parental Guidance", and "Wild Nights...". The first two in particular, are incredibly dire.

It's nice to read your opinions on this. :)

I entirely forgot about Wild Nights! Jaaiks. Will put POE in the car some time! I like that take on Rock You Around the World. I do not like the melody in the chorus but that solo is something indeed.

I entirely forgot about Wild Nights! Jaaiks. Will put POE in the car some time! I like that take on Rock You Around the World. I do not like the melody in the chorus but that solo is something indeed.

"Wild Nights..." is a strong contender for the most ridiculous song Priest ever recorded! :lol:

The solo in RYAATW is amazing, and definitely elevates the song a couple of notches in my estimation, the intro riff is also really good, even if, like the solo, it seems much darker than the rest of the song! I definitely class it amongst the good tracks on the album. :)

'Point Of Entry' is my second favourite eighties Priest album. And 'Desert Plains' is by far the best eighties Priest song, hands-down.

Back