Judas Priest Discography Discussion (part 2 starting page 20)

''Hellrider'' is a 10 for sure, the ballad ''Angel'' is also a solid 9,5.

Sorry mate ;)
Those are great songs for sure. But for me 10/10 rating is kind of a sacred thing, so I only give that rating to my absolute favorite songs. There are only about 110-120 10/10 songs in all the songs I've heard.

I take each album on their own, I don't grade on a sliding scale. Each album exists in its own time and has a different set of quality applied to it. For instance, I wouldn't give "Judas Rising" a 10/10 if it was on Painkiller.

Angel of Retribution (2005)

AngelOfRetributionJPG.jpg

Coming off of two indescribably terrible albums with a sub-par singer, poor songwriting, and abusive production, Angel of Retribution hits like a metric fuckton of quality bricks.

Judas Rising
We fade in with a flurry of legato lines and a tempered, structured melodic guitar layer. A vocal scream breaks the night, followed by double bass and heavy riffs, and fucking Rob Halford is back. I don’t mean that as a slight to Ripper, because the music here is so much better and so much more “Priest” than it was on the previous two albums. No, the difference here is melody and power, and these things were simply lacking during Ripper’s tenure with the band. This song, though maybe a little one-dimensional, hits like a fucking sledgehammer. KK’s solo leaves something to be desired considering Glenn’s amazing intro work, but it’s still fitting and powerful. Judas Rising slays with power, hooks, and beautiful production from Roy Z. 10/10

Deal With The Devil
When I first heard this, and I’ve spun this album at least 7 times now, I said, “This music would fit on a Bruce solo album.” Upon further research I discovered that it was co-written by Roy Z and that makes a ton of sense. It’s sharp, it’s fun, it’s interesting, yet dark…it’s Judas Priest. It’s self-referential, sure, but it just rocks from start to finish. It’s as hooky as anything and the performances are top notch all around. For the first time ever I can’t immediately pick out what’s being played by KK and what’s being played by Glenn (sure, that harmony part helps). It’s simply seamless; the band playing 100% naturally. If you slowed this down by 15 bpm it could be a British Steel hit. 9/10

Revolution
The bass intro almost sounds like a mistake at first, but that makes it so much more raw. Once again, Roy Z’s production is phenomenal. This one sounds the most hodgepodge here, i.e. the verses sound like 70s Priest and the chorus like 90s Priest, but I kind of dig that. It’s flawed in construction, but still pretty cool. The drums are pulling in that classic 80s Priest boom-bap, it’s like a “previously on…” segment for their whole career. Halford turns in another great performance. "Revolution" won’t stick with me like these other songs, mostly because of the annoying Robert Plant/Axl Rose outro, but it’s still a solid tune. 7/10

Worth Fighting For
We once again harken back to the days of 80s cheese with the boom-bap, eighth-note bass song, but this one is catchy as hell. If not for the stellar production this easily could have been a track from Point of Entry or Turbo. I really love the bluesy, strolling guitar riffs. It’s a little laidback all around, but the vocal layers, Rob’s melodies, and Roy’s production push this tune to the next level. His level of layered production really cannot be overstated here. There’s a vaguely Bon Jovi or Megadeth’s Risk vibe happening here, but I don’t care. 8/10

Demonizer
Maybe the most “nü-Priest” sounding song here, this one still kicks some ass. The riffs are heavy and atonal, the drums are pounding, Rob is shredding his voice…it’s pretty damn heavy. Although the verses try so hard to remind us of Painkiller (including the literal name drop), the best thing is the hooky chorus. Scott’s drumming is a little much during the crammed verses, but that chorus brings it home. It’s not a classic, but like “Revolution” it’s a solid tune that I wouldn’t skip. Halford’s final title wails are impressively demonic. 7/10

Wheels of Fire
Another “fun” track for the album, with a twinge of Harley-riding darkness, this is another decent song but probably the weakest here. The lyrics are very lazy and the chorus sounds identical to Metallica’s “Attitude”. The bridge lyrics ape “Aces High”, too. It’s overall a throwaway song, but, as with everything else on this record, I wouldn’t turn it off. 6/10

Angel
A very pretty song that gets better with each listen. The acoustic playing is quite nice. Halford’s vocals are just stunning on this song. He sounds like a man half his age. Honestly, I know Rob acts every song like it’s a Broadway musical, but he really pulls out all the stops here. Glenn’s solo is lovely, even if the FX patch isn’t my favorite. 9/10

Hellrider
I feel like this song tries to recapture the same energy and glory as “Judas Rising”, but it tries too hard. It’s a fine song, just a little overblown and underdeveloped. The main riff (after the intro) is average and only Scott’s drumming improves it. The verses have that early Nightwish, Tool-style vocal writing where syl-ah-bulls are-sung like-this and I don’t love it. The music pummels and Rob’s vocal layers are cool, but most of this song is average. The guitar riffs starting around 4:15 (melodic riff over the tremolo-picked Mustaine section) is amazing and the harmonized legato section following is even better, especially the neo-classical tonality. I don’t love Halford singing along with the guitar melody, but oh well, this is heavy metal. 7/10

Eulogy
The only downside to this quiet, moody interlude piece is the self-referential lyrics. We get it, Rob: you left the band and now you’re back. You don’t need to name drop every goddamned song you ever wrote in the lyrics of a new song. Your career is not a concept album. I don’t really know how to rate this song. It serves the purpose of the interludes on the early Opeth records, but it’s very affecting. 6/10, I guess.

Lochness
Just…oh, Dio, fucking hell, how do I even…this song is…….it exists. I know that most people probably laugh or hate this tune, but holy crap, I love it. It’s so overblown and absurd and stupid that it should be terrible, but the chorus is outstanding, the mood is incredible (minus that stupid pick-squeal main riff), and it’s just such a behemoth. The main portion of this song sounds like something from a latter-years Dio Sabbath record (and honestly would have sounded incredible). It’s hulking, and giant, and ludicrous. I seriously think the prechorus and chorus are among the catchiest melodies Priest have ever recorded. The solos are huge and melodic and wonderful. Could it have been 5 minutes shorter? Sure. But also could we stop arguing about a dinosaur in a very small lake? Of course. Just, everyone shut up. I fucking love this jam. 9/10

This is a solid record through-and-through. I get the same feeling here that I get from Brave New World of renewed energy and a sense of vigor that was sorely lacking on the previous couple albums. Angel of Retribution is nowhere near as good as BNW, but the feeling is there.

Album rating 7.8/10

Welcome back. Very well said.

Angel of Retribution has a well-defined slot in my memory bank: a likable but forgettable album that makes a conscious decision to tick off all the boxes in the Priest repertoire and, in the process, fails to carve out a distinct identity of its own, or create anything memorable by breaking new ground.

But listening to it again for this discussion revealed something else: it may be all of those things above, but it is also pretty damn good.

It's starts with the thrashier numbers Demonizer and Hellrider: There may be other songs like this in the catalogue; there may be better; but that doesn't mean they aren't well-composed riff-fests with catchy melodies, interesting rhythm changes or great musical breakdown sections, and they are heavy as fuck.

I've always looked down somewhat on Deal With the Devil as rehash of Halford's Made in Hell; it's cut from the same musical cloth and recycles the same lyrical themes. But as a standalone, holy hell does it cook, mining the symbiotic relationship between Halford's melodies and Tipton/Downing's riffing to perfection over an amphetamine-powered rhythm track, topped with a killer solo/harmony break. It stands up well against other short, fast songs like Riding on the Wind or Leather Rebel

Worth Fighting For sounds like it might fit right in on Point of Entry with the pop-worthy melodies, road-worthy rhythms, a tasty solo and those hooky riffs. But it's also a better composition than 80 per cent of that album. And such clean production. The other hard rock track, Wheels of Fire, is more uninspired and by-the-numbers, but still notch above throwaway.

And the ballad, Angel, is probably the best song of its type that they've done. Gorgeous melodies, gorgeous guitar, gorgeous production.

Songs powered by such a relentless double-bass attack aren't usually so slow and deliberate, but Judas Is Rising works. The song is as relentless and implacable as an armada materializing out of the fog. The Victim of Changes intro sliding into a Painkiller scream and that double bass leaves no doubt who you are listening to. Bonus points for brevity. There just isn't enough going on to warrant anything close to a 10, but as a "we're back" statement it works.

I've always said that to love the Priest you've got to be comfortable enough in your own skin to embrace the cheese. I just can't quite get there with Loch Ness, but you describe its scaly charms very well. Eulogy mines the same gothic horror territory with greater effect. My only complaint is it just doesn't quite seem to fit where its placed in the track listing. It would have been more inspired to use it as the opener, with the opening riff of Judas is Rising spiraling out of its fadeout.

Revolution is the only thing on a here that points to a new direction, one they never followed up on. Can't say that was a missed opportunity, but I don't mind it at all. It's got a vaguely industrial feel. I can't think of anything else Priest has done that sounds like it, maybe Halford did with Twist or Drive from Resurrection?

Compared to the rest of the discography, Angel of Retribution is probably the safest, least remarkable album they've done. But as a well-produced collection of songs, it stands up quite well. For a comeback album, they didn't hit it out of the park, but they didn't embarrass themselves either.

I don’t know if it’s a bad stream on Spotify or if my ears are broken but I wasn’t impressed with the production when I listened to it the other day. I thought it was muddy and the guitars sounded weak. I typically love what Roy Z does. I’ll try to listen to the cd if I get a chance this weekend.

Worth Fighting For sounds like it might fit right in on Point of Entry with the pop-worthy melodies, road-worthy rhythms, a tasty solo and those hooky riffs. But it's also a better composition than 80 per cent of that album. And such clean production. The other hard rock track, Wheels of Fire, is more uninspired and by-the-numbers, but still notch above throwaway.

I've always said that to love the Priest you've got to be comfortable enough in your own skin to embrace the cheese. I just can't quite get there with Loch Ness, but you describe its scaly charms very well. Eulogy mines the same gothic horror territory with greater effect. My only complaint is it just doesn't quite seem to fit where its placed in the track listing. It would have been more inspired to use it as the opener, with the opening riff of Judas is Rising spiraling out of its fadeout.

Revolution is the only thing on a here that points to a new direction, one they never followed up on. Can't say that was a missed opportunity, but I don't mind it at all. It's got a vaguely industrial feel. I can't think of anything else Priest has done that sounds like it, maybe Halford did with Twist or Drive from Resurrection?

I think it's quite clear that this album is serving as a "wrap-up" of everything that came before. Even the tracks I love are clearly trying to recapture older Priest vibes and each one is a specific vibe. I think you're dead on about Worth Fighting For and Wheels of Fire, although I could throw away the latter and not blink an eye. They both sound like a better take on Point of Entry or even a less-glossy Turbo.

Revolution sounds like a superior rehash of both Ripper albums. It's the most industrial song on the record and harkens back to the grittier two albums prior. The difference here is that Halford is singing, so it's already much better, and the melodies are better (because Halford is back).

I think the most controversial song on the album is also the only song to truly break new ground. Priest had done nothing like Loch Ness before. Sure, some of the parts could have come from older albums, but as a whole it's a new direction for the band. A hulking, Sabbath-influenced brick of cheese that emphasizes pure mystical mood over anything else. It is clearly foreshadowing the next album, which also broke new ground for the band (for better or worse).

I don’t know if it’s a bad stream on Spotify or if my ears are broken but I wasn’t impressed with the production when I listened to it the other day. I thought it was muddy and the guitars sounded weak. I typically love what Roy Z does. I’ll try to listen to the cd if I get a chance this weekend.

Oh, sure, to be clear Roy Z has produced far better-sounding material. However, Priest are notorious for horrible production. Coming after the Ripper albums (and thinking back to weak sauce like Ram It Down) this thing sounds golden. I mostly enjoy the vocal production. Rob sounds fuller here than I think he has on any previous record.

Angel of Retribution is the album that got me digging in a bit deeper into their back-catalog.
I could do without Loch Ness, it would be a perfect 40 minute rocker album.
I will definitely spin this one soon, haven't listened to it in ages.

To me, Monsters of Rock was a very clear antecedent for Lochness.

''Monsters Of Rock'' is a very bad song IMO - one of Priest's worst. ''Lochness'' at least has nice solos, but over 13 minutes - come on, Priest are not Maiden !

I gave Painkiller two listens to pen my infamous review, and I’ve given it two more listens over the last 24 hours (plus random listenings of its songs) to say that it’s definitely a grower for me. No song ducks below a 7, but I still don’t think it’s perfect. “Metal Meltdown” works better with its chorus than I used to think, but despite its amazing high notes I still think it’s a silly idea for a song. I’m really starting to like BTH&TA as far as verses and choruses go, but I don’t like the opening and I don’t like the guitar stuff that follows the chorus. And I still feel like “One Shot” is a bit of a weak, paint-by-numbers closer, but it’s got some pretty good moments nonetheless.

So with that in mind, I’d rank the songs as:

Painkiller - 10
Hell Patrol - 10
All Guns Blazing - 10
Leather Rebel - 8
Metal Meltdown - 7
Night Crawler - 9
Between the Hammer & the Anvil - 7.5*
A Touch of Evil - 9
Battle Hymn / One Shot at Glory - 7

*Couldn’t decide between a 7 or an 8, so I went midway.

This would bring my rating up to an 86%, which I think is accurate because I’ve been coming back to this album more than any other Priest album because of its good parts. I also listened to “Living Bad Dreams”, and thank god they left it off, because it’s way worse than anything on the album.

Best songs of Nostradamus are fantastic. Future of Mankind, Death, Nostradamus, Alone. A lot of other good songs as well, but the album is too long. No doubt about that.

Judas_Priest_SforV.jpg

Screaming for Vengeance – Judas Priest

The Hellion – A wicked intro, should be part of the following track but sadly it isn’t – 8/10

Electric Eye – Transitions perfectly from The Hellion, the Chorus vocals are a little weak but the instruments are killer – 7/10

Riding On the Wind – A furious drum introduces this song with great guitar work kicking in soon after. Vocals are better although I still need to get more used to Halford’s high pitched style. – 8/10

Bloodstone – Another nice rocker, slightly slower paced but Halford’s vocals are better on this one – 8.5/10

(Take These) Chains – A strong mid paced track. A nice change from the previous faster songs but still a strong track although lyrics could use some more variety – 8/10

Pain and Pleasure – A decent track doesn’t grab you as aggressively as the previous tracks – 6.5/10

Screaming for Vengeance – Kicking off with a nice scream from Halford before launching into action with rapid fire vocals. Instrumentation remains strong throughout this entire track. -8.5/10

You’ve Got Another Thing Comin – An amazing mid paced track easily designed for a live setting - 10/10

Fever – Starts off slower before picking up into a midpaced track with the usual nice instrumental portion. You think it ends then it comes back again before ultimately concluding– 7.5/10

Devil’s Child – Picking up the pace somewhat Devil’s child has a nice riff and overall is another enjoyable track from Priest - 8/10

Overall Rating 80%

-----

Judas_Priest_Turbo.jpg

Turbo – Judas Priest

Turbo Lover - A quick intro leads into some lower and mid tempo vocals from Halford, the song feels like it can just explode at any time, and I like that it doesn't the energy in this track is really strong and the lower vocals and midpaced tempo make this opener a really enjoyable track - 7.5/10

Locked In - The intro sounds similar to 2M2M, which isn't a bad thing since the song quickly diverges away from it, higher vocals from Halford appear on this track. The guitar solo section is great. - 8/10

Private Property - Synth intro leads into a solid groove, Vocal harmonies are really good on this track. Chorus screams chanting responses. This song is commercial but it is absolutely wonderful at the same time. - 8.5/10

Parental Guidance - Another song with an easy to repeat chorus, not quite on par with private property but this song has some solid instrumentation, these lyrics are a little cheesy and I'm a fan of "hair metal" - 6.5/10

Rock You All Around The World - A heavier intro, leads into a strong track, the chorus is great and the verses are strong. The guitar work is immense. Clearly Parental guidance was just a small misstep the boys are still rocking strong - 8.5/10

Out In The Cold - The synths return for the opener of side 2, the slow intro turns into a symphonic section before Halford comes in. This track has an epic feel to it with the synths sticking around and really amplifying the guitars. The squeeling guitars in the solo section is the icing on the top of this song. - 9/10

Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days - This song started off iffy for me but quickly corrected course and it became another solid track. - 7.5/10

Hot For Love - I like the intro to this track as well, super fast synths take it to another level. The lyrics and vocals on this track aren't amazing but the instrumentation keeps this track going strong. - 8/10

Reckless - A solid song closes off the album, Halfords vocals jive well with this track and Priest closes off the album in style - 8.5/10

Overall 80%

Back