Janick Be Thy Name!

Siddharth

Long Distance Trooper
Top 5 Iron Maiden songs which have songwriting contributions from Janick Gers!

Now this would have made another generic thread title so I went for something fun!

Thanks to our friend @Abas who has listed all the songs in a similar thread earlier, so I'm simply putting it here:

Fear of the Dark
Be Quick or Be Dead
Fear is the Key
Wasting Love
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

The X Factor
Lord of the Flies
Man of the Edge
Look for the Truth
The Aftermath
The Edge of Darkness
2 A.M.
The Unbeliever

Virtual XI
Como Estais Amigos

Brave New World
Ghost of the Navigator
The Mercenary
Dream of Mirrors
Out of the Silent Planet

Dance of Death
Montségur
Dance of Death
Gates of Tomorrow

A Matter of Life and Death
The Pilgrim
The Legacy

The Final Frontier
The Alchemist
The Talisman

The Book of Souls
The Book of Souls
Shadows of the Valley

Senjutsu
Stratego
The Time Machine

My Top 5:

1. Out Of The Silent Planet
2. The Pilgrim
3. Ghost Of The Navigator
4. Dream Of Mirrors
5. The Talisman

Also really like: The Alchemist, The Aftermath and Montsegur.

Last edited:
I am a coward and will present a top 7 instead

Dance of Death
Dream of Mirrors
The Time Machine
Out of the Silent Planet
Stratego
Como Estais Amigos
The Unbeliever

His credited songs are S tier at best and B tier at worst. I'd go as far and say that my favourite songwriter combo is the Harris/Gers one. Still waiting for a with a song solely credited to him.

Last edited:
  1. Out Of The Silent Planet
  2. The Book Of Souls
  3. The Talisman
  4. Be Quick Or Be Dead
  5. The Time Machine

Gers Years EP:

Be Quick Or Be Dead
The Book of Souls
Dance of Death
Man on the Edge
The Legacy

1: The Book of Souls
2: The Time Machine
3: Dance of Death
4: Ghost of the Navigator
5: The Legacy

In that order. This was more difficult than I expected. Especially in the reunion period, Janick's songs are always one of the top songs. The Book of Souls in particularly is in the running for the best reunion era track period.

Time Machine absolutely blew my mind and has some of the best melodic material on Senjutsu.

Dance of Death was a torch bearer for Maiden epics and arguably handled the acoustic format the best (while TBOS and Time Machine are better overall, the acoustic integration isn't quite what it is on DoD). Some of Steve's best lyrical work as well.

Ghost of the Navigator is just a force to be reckoned with.

I've burned out on The Legacy a bit over time, but I will still never forget hearing the song for the first time and being in disbelief that I was listening to Iron Maiden. The Genesis-esque lullaby intro, the psychedelic choruses, this song went places that no Maiden song had gone before. After the shock value wears off it isn't quite as enjoyable to listen to as the other, but still top 5 material.

I've burned out on The Legacy a bit over time, but I will still never forget hearing the song for the first time and being in disbelief that I was listening to Iron Maiden. The Genesis-esque lullaby intro, the psychedelic choruses, this song went places that no Maiden song had gone before. After the shock value wears off it isn't quite as enjoyable to listen to as the other, but still top 5 material.

This.
Except that I'm still awed by it, its "last note" epitomises the jaw dropping feeling I had when first listened to AMOLAD.

That's not an easy task.

Out Of The Silent Planet
Dance Of Death
Stratego
The Talisman
Ghost Of The Navigator

more: Be Quick Or Be Dead, Wasting Love, The Edge Of Darkness, Dream Of Mirrors, The Pilgrim, Shadows Of The Valley and The Time Machine.

I've burned out on The Legacy a bit over time,
Same here. It was a top five song for me back in 2006/07/08, now it struggles to make the top five on AMOLAD. But that says something about that album.

1. The Book of Souls
2. Dance of Death
3. Ghost of the Navigator
4. Out of the Silent Planet
5. The Time Machine

It's truly difficult to make just a top 5 since most of the time a lot of the songs he wrote are among the best in each album.
Ok, lets give it a try:
1. Be quick or be dead
2. Ghost of the Navigator
3. Montségur
4. Dance of death
5. The legacy
6. The book of souls
7. The time machine
...ok, it's a top 7 and still I left a few great ones out

1. Dance of Death
2. The Talisman
3. Stratego