It's gotta be tough being Dave Murray

Doesn't look tough. He's always smiling and all the songs he has written are among the best on the albums they are on. Sometimes the best, like Public Enema no1

He isn't. He's high all the time. His songs are usually awesome, lately they're among the best on their respective record. If Maiden starts doing gigs in other format his songs might be featured.

I got to thinking this morning listening to The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, gosh it must blow to write songs and then never get to play them.....

Dave's songs have a history of being played only briefly or never at all... that's gotta suck for a songwriter and a good one at that. (Between Somewhere in Time and Fear of the Dark, he contributed to all 4 albums and none of his songs were ever played) :(

Rotational (played at least 2 tours since 1999 : BNW, Sanctuary, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg,

Never played : Deja Vu, The Prophecy, Fates Warning, Chains of Misery, Judas be My Guide, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, The Nomad, Age of Innocence, The Man who would be King, The Man of Sorrows

Played but likely gone to the grave (none played since 2005) : Still Life, Charlotte, Twilight Zone, Total Eclipse, Public Enema Number 1, When 2 worlds collide, Lightning strikes twice, Rainmaker,

Songs written/co-written : 21
Songs never played live : 10
Played since 1999 : 4
He and Steve's musical friendship is clearly the spine that is Iron Maiden. Dave Murray will probably be too modest to admit that he is one of THE most influential heavy metal guitarists ever. That blond guy with a black strat with two humbuckers is THE defining image, for me, of late 70's and 80's heavy metal. Maybe he doesn't have such a penchant for song writing, but as Steve Harris has written some of the best heavy metal songs ever, I think Dave is happy to have been part of the genesis of this all conquering band.

Back