Isle of Avalon

How good is Isle of Avalon on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Forostar said:
If someone would have

1. Played me a particular sample of this song, to be precisely: 4:17 - 5:30.

2. Told me it's from the upcoming Rush album.

3. I'd believe it instantly without a shadow of doubt (even if I subconsciously would recognize H).

I probably wouldn't believe it because Rush haven't sounded that good in a LONG time. But I get what you mean. I said it earlier but that same part totally reminds me of Ozric Tentacles, especially from their Arborescence album. In fact I'm thinking that's my favorite part of the album (right now). I'd love if H went on for another 3-4 minutes with that part.

Machiventa said:
I probably wouldn't believe it because Rush haven't sounded that good in a LONG time.

Haha, indeed!

Around the end of Adrian's solo his playing style even sounds like Lifeson (those chords). Freaky.

I was travelling through half the country today, riding over a lot of open fields on a train. It was the perfect time to really listen without being distracted by anything, taking in the scene along with the music. I also read the lyrics while listening, for the first time. I must admit that I didn't understand the purpose behind the lyrics of Isle Of Avalon. It was about an island, about corn, about a "mother goddess"... and dead souls. Couldn't make out the meaning behind it... from whose point of view is this story told? What is it about? How does the plot fit in with the highly dramatic music? Frankly, not even the discussion here takes me close to an answer.

As for the music... the song does have a chorus of sorts, namely the "fertility mother goddess" part. Whenever it repeats, it comes off like the high point of the vocals. I think the overall structure of the song is not that complex really. But the stuff they do over the 7/4 beat in the center is incredible, the riffs too! I really like how the rhythm guitars build suspense and carry the solo. When it hits with the vocals again, it's like a giant conclusion of drama.

Also recognized the No More Lies lick, and it sounds very fitting here.

When I first heard TFF, this was the song where I started building a picture in my mind and becoming really attentive. The intro just lets me picture a desert and a storm, with the wind effects and the Arabian guitar. Amazing atmosphere!

Machiventa said:
I probably wouldn't believe it because Rush haven't sounded that good in a LONG time. But I get what you mean. I said it earlier but that same part totally reminds me of Ozric Tentacles, especially from their Arborescence album. In fact I'm thinking that's my favorite part of the album (right now). I'd love if H went on for another 3-4 minutes with that part.

Now if Maiden would follow Rush's lead and play 3 hour shows that represent all of their catalog, including 20-year old songs that haven't been played live before, then we could all rejoice with steaming bowls of popcorn or Wheaties.

I really, really, love Murray's guitarsound in the first part of this song, it goes straight to my heart, it does =) (especially after the 2 minute mark)

I have one thing to say about this song: despite this track being amazing as a whole...Adrian's solo is a thing out of this world, it's just incredible.
Everytime I listen to the song, the solo gets better lol. Don't know if it's the bass line, the riff played by the other guys but this solo is magical. One of the highlights on the song (and album) and it's making it's way to my top 3 Adrian solo's! Love it. 

Still don't fully understand the lyrics to this, but seems to be tied up with celtic mythology and the journey from the land of the living to that of the dead.  This doesn't appear to have anything to do with Arthurian legend and significantly pre-dates it. 

Avalon/The Isle of the Dead is most likely the site of Glastonbury Tor (and my impish side has an amusing image of IM headlining Glastonbury festival next year, despite all the recent denials to the contrary!!).  Any light anyone can shed on this song??

I'm working on it, but it is fairly complex. Steve really outdid himself this time around.

I eagerly await your analysis LC  :D

This continues to haunt me - I remember reading "Slaine" comics (in 2000AD) as a kid, and for some reason it's reminding me of some of their images.  Probably just my memory playing tricks, but it's the closest I can get without going away and doing more research.  Either way, I think this is getting into my top 5 of all time - just massive  :shred:

This is without a shadow of a doubt my favorite track on the new record. It's an insanely complex song and shows how great each individual musician is but how well they work together when they really flex their musical talents. I totally agree with Foro's assertion that this is one of the more proggy songs Maiden have ever written, and at times I think that if it were written with a little more galloping bass and recorded with a little rawer production it would fit seamlessly on Seventh Son (at least musically).

I absolutely LOVE the harmonic structure of Isle of Avalon. and I have a fever, and the only prescription is the chorus of this song.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the FIRST TIME that Iron Maiden used the Melodic Minor scale, which is a must-learn tool for jazz people.

The intro / main melody is in A Melodic Minor, with a brief modulation to D MM. Nothing to call home about yet.
Then in the chorus it shift to A Mixolydian then A dorian, where it remains for the first round of guitar solos...etc
What we have here is a very interesting melodic shift. First, the Melodic Minor scale is not very "metal", it's rather more jazzy, more ethnic. But the part that really gives me the shivers is the shift from Melodic Minor to Mixolydian. It's definitely not an Iron Maiden sound, and I'm pretty sure it's been used by Rush in the past (somebody add to this if you know). hence the comparisons.

Man, I've tried to embrace this song, I really have, but along with Starblind and TMWWBK, this song just does not do anything for me.  It is definately my least favorite of the album.  I tend not to disect them and just listen to the songs as a whole, and maybe that's why, but for whatever reason, I just can't feel the love for this song.

Check at the lick played at 7:24 and 7:47, is similar to the one played at No More Lies at 4:30 iirc.

I don't think it's similiar at all. Maybe a bit.
I never would've noticed it if it wasn't for you guys.

Yeah, they're actually quite similar. Different tone and pitch but the progression of notes is very similar except the last few.

IMO, this song is about a ritual of reincarnation of one or more spirits, taking place on the Isle of Avalon, a place guarded by people who are aware of immaterial realities and in touch with mythical/symbolic creatures such as the Fertility Mother Goddess (she could be a metaphor for Nature itself, a feminine representation of God's gift of fertility).

The intro narrates the spirits rising slowly to the call of the Island. As they get closer to material life, there's the overwhelming sensation of being back in contact with Mother Earth and its elements. "My rebirth now completed" really sums it up. There could be some copulation somewhere in there. It seems to be about the journey leading to a cozy zygote where life begins again.  :lol:

I think it has to do with Steve - and Maiden's - connections with Masonry. In masonry, the sheaf of the corn is broken means that the works are coming to an end.

Privateer454 said:
Man, I've tried to embrace this song, I really have, but along with Starblind and TMWWBK, this song just does not do anything for me.  It is definately my least favorite of the album.  I tend not to disect them and just listen to the songs as a whole, and maybe that's why, but for whatever reason, I just can't feel the love for this song.

Those three are amongst my favorites.  :bigsmile:

Back