Isle of Avalon

How good is Isle of Avalon on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Stan said:
MOTHER EARTH, CAN YOU HEAR ME?!?!?!

One of the best parts in Maiden history

It's the chorus that gives me chills. Once "Fertility Mother Goddess..." kicks in, it's full on Maiden sing along material.

I just love when the harmonic guitars play during the end when Bruce sings:
"The gateway to Avalon
The island where the souls
Of dead are reborn
Brought here to die and be
Transferred into the earth
And then for rebirth"

Those harmonic guitars and his singing sound SUPER AMAZING together!

Am I hearing things or is there an acoustic guitar on this song during the chorus similar what they did on the title track? 

Such a great song!

Donner said:
Am I hearing things or is there an acoustic guitar on this song during the chorus similar what they did on the title track? 

Such a great song!

Don't think so, i don't here one in the title track either.

There is a clear acoustic guitar in title track.
Do you notice how bruce spells "F" in the "Final Frontier"?

Not sure there's an acoustic in the title track, might just be the full minor chords. Need to give this another listen.

Oh wait, I do hear some of that picking sound of an acoustic, kinda metallic. Maybe there is.

In Kevin Shirley diaries he mentions that Adrian played acoustic guitar on the chorus of TFF if I'm not mistaken. But on Isle of Avalon I never noticed one.

I can't seem to find an adequate English word. Technically, it's called excess sibilant consonants, and it's wiped by either microphone foam cover (that circle that you see in front of signer's microphone in studio) or electronically, by technique called de-essing. If that doesn't help, singer does a new try. Something Harris and Shirley were resistant to do.

If you still ain't getting my drift, Daffy Duck does the same thing.  :D

Basically, it's all over the place. I'm listening to Alchemist right now, and it's in first chorus also. On other occasions, he says it right, without artifacts.
It's really annoying me and it kills the intro track.

Why is this discussion taking place in the Isle of Avalon topic? If I didn't misunderstand this, you're talking about the choruses of TFF and The Alchemist?

As far as I know, you can only de-ess a vocal to a certain point before it becomes garbled. Besides, it's not that bad. Take a listen to Bruce's King in Crimson, there's some major K-action there (the King in Crimson comes) but to me it's not irritating at all.

I'm listening to Fear of the Dark now. Sssometimes when you're sssscared to take a look at the corner of the room, you ssssense that ssssomething's watching you!

If there was a single line on TFF to be repeated, it was "When I ssssssstand and look about the port", the very first line in The Talisman.

Back