Is it worth joining the fanclub?

Josh

Ancient Mariner
Hi fans. I haven't been here since the BoS release. Hope all is well.

So it occurred to me I never became a fanclub member for my favorite band. Just never really thought of it until I went to their website to order vinyl (something I should have done decades ago). My question is if anyone here is a member and has it been worth it to you? Are the perks satisfying?

Thanks for any response. Up the irons!

I haven't been a member in over 10 years. Didn't think it was worth it for basically just a few magazines. Now, you did back then get to purchase tickets like the day before the public release. If one really wants that, then it would be worth it.

Same as Yax, I've been member some decade ago for some 5 years, so I can only speak for that time. All the perks mostly have to do with their live gigs and considering current situation - I don't think you'll use any of them soon.

In those 5 years, several times I bought tickets before they went on sale (and those areas or shows I bought were sold out on the day tickets went on public sale). Three times I've won FTTB (First To The Barrier) and I say, that's a huge bonus. And most important of all, back in '08 I've won Heaven Can Wait - once in a lifetime experience. So looking back, considering only things mentioned above - it was definitely worth it.

Back at that time magazines were so-so. Most of those featured articles I had no interest in (interviews with guitar technicians and similar). Also, they were late, like really late. The deal was 3 magazines a year, but with time they were so far apart, I believe they owe me at least issue or two. I hear the situation is better now (both with the delivery and the content inside of magazine). I didn't order much from official fan-shop so I can't really comment on the discounts.

Also, those exclusive products? Those rarely came and even when they did, after some time they went public (personalized shirts for example). Resubscription shirts were hit-and-miss. Some of them were awesome the rest of them I had a feeling they did them only so they could say they've done their obligations. Monthly prize draws? Forget about those. There is one item per months and the items were really cool, tho, vinyl signed by the whole band, for example. But considering the number of people paying membership your chances are really low. You would also get a welcome package before (with "signed" photo, welcome letter, Steve Harris bass pin and some other things but I noticed they don't do those anymore.)

To conclude, in my case, it was definitely worth it but none of the perks were material (merchandise) based.

I haven't been a member in over 10 years. Didn't think it was worth it for basically just a few magazines. Now, you did back then get to purchase tickets like the day before the public release. If one really wants that, then it would be worth it.

Same as me, I was a member from the mid 90's until maybe the early 2000's when the internet had made the magazine obsolete, but there was a time when you could pay 10 euro for access to the official forum for a year and I paid that the first year they brought that it in, and then it worked for about 5 or 6 years after that without having to pay again :lol: I'd probably pay that again if it was an option.

I have been considering rejoining with the likelihood of a new album coming out, but they are taking the piss looking for €40, plus someone will post any juicy info here. There won't be gigs, so there's no advantage of early ticket sales.

Also, I did FTTB once, and it's no interest to me anymore, a) not interested in getting squashed by a smelly prick for the whole gig, b ) if you have more than 1 mate it puts you in an awkward position and c) would rather go for a pint beforehand than show up early for the gig.

And most important of all, back in '08 I've won Heaven Can Wait - once in a lifetime experience.

Yes now that was something that would have been worth it! Shame I only was at Twickenham on that tour as with such a huge attendance of FC members there was no chance of winning it.

I might add, that when I joined the welcome package contained the book from the Best of the Beast 4 LP set signed by all the band, which is a great gift!

EDIT: It must have been 96 or 97 that I joined if the prize was the BOTB book. There was also an FC bottle opener that is still on my keyring now and I have got great use out of down through the years!

Last edited:
I have been a member since 1999 and I got a signed photo of the reunion line-up when I joined.

Overall I am happy, although the Fan Club is better value for money when the band are touring and you can buy tickets in presales or have access to First to the Barrier draws. The quality of the magazines has improved significantly over the years and even during quiet time for the band there are interviews that are interesting.

You also get discounts on FC merchandise. I rarely buy anything, but if having your house full of things featuring a zombie is your thing, then it is another nice perk.

I have been a member since 1999 and I got a signed photo of the reunion line-up when I joined.

Overall I am happy, although the Fan Club is better value for money when the band are touring and you can buy tickets in presales or have access to First to the Barrier draws. The quality of the magazines has improved significantly over the years and even during quiet time for the band there are interviews that are interesting.

You also get discounts on FC merchandise. I rarely buy anything, but if having your house full of things featuring a zombie is your thing, then it is another nice perk.
What's the forum like? Many old timers still there?

It's worth it just for the resub-shirt and the magazines. When the band can tour you also get access to the fanclub presale and chances to win FTTB for most shows.

It is when you have lots of money to spend on merchandise with discount

and/or if you are very, very patient for receiving one or two fanzines per year.

The last fanzine was very good I thought.

I've done, I think, three non-consecutive years on the fanclub since The Final Frontier album and tour. I like the magazines as they are well produced and a good bit of memorabilia to have, in addition to the early access tickets. I was able to get "first to the barrier" at one of the Maiden England shows, for example, and that was pretty bad ass. Additionally, I don't find the yearly fee to be super expensive. Take from that what you will.

It is when you have lots of money to spend on merchandise with discount

and/or if you are very, very patient for receiving one or two fanzines per year.

The last fanzine was very good I thought.

You get 3 fanzines every year with your membership.

The only year we got less than 3 fanzines since I have been a fan was back in 2002 and this was compensated by getting 4 the following year.

Last edited:
I dropped out of it a couple of years ago, I didn't feel I was getting much out of it. The magazines are glossy and nice enough to look at as collectable pieces, but they had a tendency to be formulaic, with too much content about the Maiden crew and various personas associated with the management of the band. There's some nice merch around and we were getting a FC tee with renewal each year, which was okay. The forum is a mixed bag, I find this place much better. Every now and then you get special opportunities, I guess, like first to the barrier, VIP stuff, very occasionally special trips.

You get 3 fanzines every year with your membership.

The only year we got less than 3 fanzines since I have been a fan was back in 2002 and this was compensated by getting 4 the following year.
Hm okay, I remember a more recent time.

@Brigantium there is a new FC boss and the fanzine was more interesting this time imo. Not that the predecessor did not do well, but I just really liked the stuff in the latest.

Back