Is Iron Maiden the biggest metal band in the world right now?

@MindlessPieces just to be clear: you're entitled to have your opinion, and, since there is a thread open on the subject, you're more than welcome to post your views on it here. Just make sure you're making your points clear. Sometimes it may look like you're stating an opinion as a given fact, and that's confusing. Now that you've mentioned it was all from personal experience, it puts all of your other posts into a whole different perspective. I apologize if I got carried away, if I offended you somehow, or if it looked like I was mad or anything. Just be careful with how you expose your personal opinions in the future.
No worries,
If I don't offer a reference or link, then I am offering my own opinion. It would be tedious to start all my comments with "IMO".
Within this thread, I have been very interested in hearing other people's experiences, especially from other parts of the world and am taking that in.

When I offered the Bruce quote, that was obviously not my opinion, it was Bruce's opinion. And I provided a link to my source so you could see that and view the whole context rather than think I may have quote mined for my "evil" purposes. My purpose of that link was to show that it isn't just me from NZ that thinks they are niche, Bruce also has that opinion, but I obviously can't speak for UK or England or Europe, or Asia, or Africa, or Northern, Central or Southern America, or all those other great places around the world.

I'm not making stuff up. Where I live, IM don't get on tv, don't get on radio. To find them in a music store you have to go to the back corner of the store and into the "Metal" section. With GnR, Kiss and Metallica you will find their albums in the general section of the store, as well as the metal section (except for Kiss which is only in the general section)
People don't talk about Maiden, they don't request it on radio, it's only played on The Rock and even then, very rarely.
They are very much niche.

But this definition of "niche", isn't a big deal, its not worth us arguing about on the internet. We don't need to become enemies over who is right and who is wrong on this. There is nothing wrong with being niche and there is nothing wrong with being mainstream or not niche. It's a non issue, just IMO an interesting aspect to discuss with an international community.

And I accept and believe what you say about your country.
Now why can't you accept when you've been told repeatedly that Iron Maiden are huge in Europe and Latin America and bigger than Kiss and some of the bands you've mentioned?
Just because it is one way in your country, by the way a tiny country like New Zealand that doesn't make a huge impact world wide it doesn't mean that in other parts of the world it is the same.

The question is: Is Maiden bigger anything than Metallica?

Maiden has bigger amount of old English dudes in band.
Maiden has bigger access to planes for touring & shit.
Maiden has bigger lamppost threads online.
Maiden has bigger amount of songwriters.
Maiden has bigger songs about dinosaurs.
Maiden has bigger amount of hairpieces.
Maiden is the bigger band numerically.
Maiden has bigger olympian presence.
Maiden has bigger back-to-back solos.
Maiden has bigger costume changes.
Maiden has bigger core discography.
Maiden has bigger ongoing lawsuits.
Maiden has bigger O-level pass rate.
Maiden has bigger Hawaii presence.
Maiden has bigger West Ham fans.
Maiden has bigger Adrian content.
Maiden has bigger niche apppeal.
Maiden has bigger Pat Cash fans.
Maiden has bigger football team.
Maiden has bigger snooker fans.
Maiden has bigger guitar solos.
Maiden has bigger golf players.
Maiden has bigger harmonies.
Maiden has bigger fishermen.
Maiden has bigger drum kits.
Maiden has bigger manager.
Maiden has bigger mascots.
Maiden has bigger vocals.
Maiden has bigger legato.
Maiden has bigger epics.
Maiden has bigger ages.
Maiden has bigger hair.

This list is brought to you courtesy of CWBL5.1
Fuck yes. This is the Cried we’ve needed and never deserved.

And I accept and believe what you say about your country.
Now why can't you accept when you've been told repeatedly that Iron Maiden are huge in Europe and Latin America and bigger than Kiss and some of the bands you've mentioned?
Where have I stated that I don't believe you?

One item that some people have been making claims on is the size of concert attendance and trying to tie that into meaning that the band must therefore not be niche. I personally don't see that as an indicator of a band breaking through to the mainstream. It is an indicator with regards to current popularity of a band, but this could also still be within the bounds of a niche.

If heavy metal is defined as a niche genre, and if that niche is large, and if most people in that niche like a particular heavy metal band, then it is likely that when this band performs a concert that they will have high attendance (could also be reflective of how often the band tour that location). So there are two possibilities when I hear that there are large attendances at an IM concert.
1. They are popular even beyond their niche market.
2. Their niche is large and they are popular within their niche.
Since both of these are valid options, then I don't claim to know whether 1 is the correct one or if 2 is the correct one. I am still open to either.

Just because it is one way in your country, by the way a tiny country like New Zealand that doesn't make a huge impact world wide it doesn't mean that in other parts of the world it is the same.
I agree. BTW NZ does make a huge impact in the world on some things, but not so much in terms of global record sales.

The question is: Is Maiden bigger anything than Metallica?

Maiden has bigger amount of old English dudes in band.
Maiden has bigger access to planes for touring & shit.
Maiden has bigger lamppost threads online.
Maiden has bigger amount of songwriters.
Maiden has bigger songs about dinosaurs.
Maiden has bigger amount of hairpieces.
Maiden is the bigger band numerically.
Maiden has bigger olympian presence.
Maiden has bigger back-to-back solos.
Maiden has bigger costume changes.
Maiden has bigger core discography.
Maiden has bigger ongoing lawsuits.
Maiden has bigger O-level pass rate.
Maiden has bigger Hawaii presence.
Maiden has bigger West Ham fans.
Maiden has bigger Adrian content.
Maiden has bigger niche apppeal.
Maiden has bigger Pat Cash fans.
Maiden has bigger football team.
Maiden has bigger snooker fans.
Maiden has bigger guitar solos.
Maiden has bigger golf players.
Maiden has bigger harmonies.
Maiden has bigger fishermen.
Maiden has bigger drum kits.
Maiden has bigger manager.
Maiden has bigger mascots.
Maiden has bigger vocals.
Maiden has bigger legato.
Maiden has bigger epics.
Maiden has bigger ages.
Maiden has bigger hair.

This list is brought to you courtesy of CWBL5.1
Also Maiden has bigger singer's dong (Little Brucie).

Well, given the title of the thread, wasn't it expected?

Not only what's "big"

(and are they big in Japan?) (and is it because the Japanese are generally smaller than Europeans?)

but also the lovely discussion on the definition of "niche".

Apart from the Clinton classic "that kinda depends on what your definition of 'is' is", I think we got it covered in the past 27 pages.

Back