Is Iron Maiden the biggest metal band in the world right now?

What "highly successful and popular" niche band do you know? I don't know any.

One more time: lack of mainstream airplay is only ONE of the things that define a niche band. This is the ONLY niche aspect of Maiden.

This is the ONLY niche aspect of Maiden.
Just this aspect that most people don't know who they are, don't know who the singer is, don't know any songs of theirs. Except that pretty much all heavy metal fans know who Iron Maiden is, know who the singer is and know which are their most famous songs.

IM keep writing and playing songs only within their niche and are adored pretty much only by people who are within their niche.

Now you're just making stuff up. I'm out of this discussion, goodbye.
I'm not making stuff up. Where I live, IM don't get on tv, don't get on radio. To find them in a music store you have to go to the back corner of the store and into the "Metal" section. With GnR, Kiss and Metallica you will find their albums in the general section of the store, as well as the metal section (except for Kiss which is only in the general section)
People don't talk about Maiden, they don't request it on radio, it's only played on The Rock and even then, very rarely.
They are very much niche.

But this definition of "niche", isn't a big deal, its not worth us arguing about on the internet. We don't need to become enemies over who is right and who is wrong on this. There is nothing wrong with being niche and there is nothing wrong with being mainstream or not niche. It's a non issue, just IMO an interesting aspect to discuss with an international community.

The thread is not about where you live, it's about Maiden's success worldwide.
I live in the world, NZ is part of worldwide. I can give a personal experience of NZ, I cannot give an opinion of the entire world. This is an international forum. If we get a personal experience from others from all over the world and then piece those together, then we can be better informed as to what worldwide success looks like.
So in your opinion people from which countries can have valid opinions and input here and people from which countries should just keep quiet?

If you just look at the total without any interest in the various regions then you are hugely tainted by the larger markets such as USA which makes up a massive part of world wide sales. We also seem to be greatly missing the Asia markets. Surely Asia alone makes some Asian band or artist immensely popular and Big.

So in your opinion people from which countries can have valid opinions and input here and people from which countries should just keep quiet?
No, that's totally not what I said at all. You can have your opinion and share it here. That would have been fine, if that's what you have been saying all along.

But it isn't. You never made it clear, in any of your posts, that it was a "personal experience". You were arguing with everyone else like Maiden were niche for sure, and refused to understand that your arguments weren't as valid as you thought they were.
You even used an interview where Bruce said they were niche as if it proved anything, but think about it, if you were talking about NZ only, why would you take an interview that's clearly not about Maiden in NZ?

All I could get from your posts is that "if Maiden is niche where I live, they must be all around the world". Guess what, they aren't.

If you just look at the total without any interest in the various regions then you are hugely tainted by the larger markets such as USA which makes up a massive part of world wide sales. We also seem to be greatly missing the Asia markets. Surely Asia alone makes some Asian band or artist immensely popular and Big.
This is exactly what this thread is about. Here, on this topic, the total is all that matters.

Last edited:
Stop talking about niche now.
I'd like to see Niš.
Play nice, chaps.
Haven't been to Nice either.
Any more Nis?
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

That's not what @matic22 was talking about.
He surely said something that can be traced to an earlier post of yours truly and also yourself. So yeah, he surely said something that had to do with my reaction.
But... that's not what was being discussed...
I thought the discussion was about ....
The thread is not about where you live, it's about Maiden's success worldwide.
Now you're just making stuff up. I'm out of this discussion, goodbye.
I've been reading through all this and came to the conclusion that all people you reacted to, were (fairly) on topic.

Last edited:
This is exactly what this thread is about. Here, on this topic, the total is all that matters.
Then we really don't need a thread do we.
Someone just define which bands are metal and then publish the respective worldwide aggregate album and concert ticket sales.

Hell, may as well just publish the figures from US.

@MindlessPieces just to be clear: you're entitled to have your opinion, and, since there is a thread open on the subject, you're more than welcome to post your views on it here. Just make sure you're making your points clear. Sometimes it may look like you're stating an opinion as a given fact, and that's confusing. Now that you've mentioned it was all from personal experience, it puts all of your other posts into a whole different perspective. I apologize if I got carried away, if I offended you somehow, or if it looked like I was mad or anything. Just be careful with how you expose your personal opinions in the future.

The question is: Is Maiden bigger anything than Metallica?

Maiden has bigger amount of old English dudes in band.
Maiden has bigger access to planes for touring & shit.
Maiden has bigger lamppost threads online.
Maiden has bigger amount of songwriters.
Maiden has bigger songs about dinosaurs.
Maiden has bigger amount of hairpieces.
Maiden is the bigger band numerically.
Maiden has bigger olympian presence.
Maiden has bigger back-to-back solos.
Maiden has bigger costume changes.
Maiden has bigger core discography.
Maiden has bigger ongoing lawsuits.
Maiden has bigger O-level pass rate.
Maiden has bigger Hawaii presence.
Maiden has bigger West Ham fans.
Maiden has bigger Adrian content.
Maiden has bigger niche apppeal.