Is Iron Maiden the biggest metal band in the world right now?

Could the band name also be a key factor? Metallica has "Metal" right in the title, whereas "Iron Maiden" does not. Both are bands that are easily accessible and recommending to new metalheads, but Metallica seems to be the first choice for someone looking for them, and I think part of the reason might be because of the name itself.

I agree, the band's name is highly identifiable and comercial.
It is like the first thing that comes to mind because the name resembles the name of the genre.

Could the band name also be a key factor? Metallica has "Metal" right in the title, whereas "Iron Maiden" does not. Both are bands that are easily accessible and recommending to new metalheads, but Metallica seems to be the first choice for someone looking for them, and I think part of the reason might be because of the name itself.

Iron Maiden also have a metal in their name, argument invalid. :nuts:

Ah, I see. In the States hardly anyone cares about them except for Smoke on the Water and another odd song here and there.

Not true. Rush are huge in Germany.

Not that big. If I remember correctly, and just as it is the tour when I could finally see Rush live, they only played one gig in Germany during their European tour in 2011 (vs 6 in the UK, 2 in Sweden, 1 in Finland, 1 in Ireland, and 1 in The Netherlands). They did play 2 gigs in Germany on the previous tour in 2007 and 2 again on their last tour to come to Europe in 2013. In all those tours they played more shows in the UK and they were certainly not huge here. They were considerably less popular than Maiden.

I think that Metallica is and always was bigger than Maiden.

This is not even a subjective opinion.

I think this doesn't apply to Britain, where Iron Maiden have always been bigger than Metallica among rock and metal crowd. In the UK 80's Maiden albums are much more popular than 80's Metallica albums.

I think this doesn't apply to Britain, where Iron Maiden have always been bigger than Metallica among rock and metal crowd. In the UK 80's Maiden albums are much more popular than 80's Metallica albums.
The whole Europe. Here Maiden is as big if not bigger than Metallica.

I wouldn't underestimate general appeal of Metallica in any rock crowd. But they do rarely visit the Balkans, even more so in relative terms (they tour more than Maiden).

Back