Iron Maiden video interviews / shows

This recording for Italian TV is really cool for several reasons. We get a good look at Clive's drumming (e.g. the solo during Another Life) and I also like to see Adrian doing his Transylvania solo. And Dave doing his solo thing. The band plays very tight and fast. Perhaps the speed of someone's vid was a little high? It sounds awesome!

The ides of March (intro tape) / Another life / drum solo / Killers / Innocent exile / Running free / Transylvania / Dave guitar solo / Drifter

Very nice. Thank you!

@Zare @TheTalisman @Yax and others I thought you might like this:
check Jans last seconds of his Ghost of the Navigator solo. So fast, aggressive and also fluid(?!) at least awesome sounding imo.
That screaming echo at the end makes it perfect.
The start of the solo @ 15:33
Start of the end: 15:52
especially those last seconds! 15:56-15:58 is insanely fast and hitting those notes well!, (sweep picking isn't it? H and Dave can't do this, I bet)
and those screaming... haunting sounds afterwards
\m/

edit:
Love the solos in Brave New World as well. Jans solo, Steve and H 's interaction, Dave's solo with roooaaaaring rhyhtm guitars behind him.
And Bruce's scream in Wrathchild! Yeah.

Last edited:
I have a wish and sort of an intent to collect all pro material from late 90's to early 00s.

It is not easy because there's a ton of this TV material especially from BNW tour. I've been trying to get the source version of Roskilde 2000 for years now.

15:56-15:58 is insanely fast and hitting those notes well!, (sweep picking isn't it? H and Dave can't do this, I bet)

Great sounding solo. That's a single descending arpeggio, I wouldn't call that sweep picking tho, because other things are implied when you say sweeping (rhytmic lock, repetition, muting). AFAIK Murray swept only once (FOTD solo ending) while Smith did it both on records and on live including improvisation :

Never the less Gers is the fastest and most "on edge" guitar they ever had. When he does pick the accents correctly his solos come out great, and regardless of these small parts being "just fast guitar playing" as opposed to some high level technique, as a glue they work great and his execution is full of excitement...as opposed to modern pedantic sweeping with no soul.

P.S. No Maiden-related sweep discussion is complete without this absolute gem

You can hear why Smith started to play sweeps in mid 90s ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like this is one of those weird 2000 gigs where Adrian played 2MTM with the drop D tuned cream Strat rather than switching guitars after Wrathchild. Shame it's in mono and recorded on an obviously deteriorated VHS tape, would've loved to hear how that affected the overall sound. Definitely a cool bootleg regardless, thanks for sharing it.

Great sounding solo. That's a single descending arpeggio, I wouldn't call that sweep picking tho, because other things are implied when you say sweeping (rhytmic lock, repetition, muting). AFAIK Murray swept only once (FOTD solo ending) while Smith did it both on records and on live including improvisation :

Never the less Gers is the fastest and most "on edge" guitar they ever had. When he does pick the accents correctly his solos come out great, and regardless of these small parts being "just fast guitar playing" as opposed to some high level technique, as a glue they work great and his execution is full of excitement...as opposed to modern pedantic sweeping with no soul.

P.S. No Maiden-related sweep discussion is complete without this absolute gem

You can hear why Smith started to play sweeps in mid 90s ;)
Not sure if I understand well here Zare, but just in case: that last song, Silver Wings, is without Adrian.
And: a 2001 song cannot make Smith starting to play something in mid 90s. ;--)

On Janick: I also felt that last bit was a really beautiful example of fast playing, which does not seem to happen that often (often the superfast playing is fuzzy, dirty, and here the notes are bright, clean!)

Last edited:
Not sure if I understand well here Zare, but just in case: that last song, Silver Wings, is without Adrian.
And: a 2001 song cannot make Smith starting to play something in mid 90s. ;--)

Roy Z is an absolute beast when it comes to sweeping (as you can hear in Silver Wings), Smith started doing "small" 3 string sweeps when they played together, not earlier as far as I'm aware. Thus I put Roy Z there because I think he consequently influenced every sweep picking in post 1999 Iron Maiden.

I see. Definitely a top 5 Bruce song for me, due to instrumental section of which I once said:
That mid piece is stunning. If they'd play this song in Tehran, even the deafest and least flexible Ayatollahs would jump up and down.

On Janick: I also felt that last bit was a really beautiful example of fast playing, which does not seem to happen that often (often the superfast playing is fuzzy, dirty, and here the notes are bright, clean!)

Yup.

I also think he was far more consistent in 2000 than in 1998. There were quite painful moments of "rock and roll" happening back then.

Yup.

I also think he was far more consistent in 2000 than in 1998. There were quite painful moments of "rock and roll" happening back then.

I think Janick's live performances definitely benefited from having Adrian back in the band.

Reactions: Jer
Janick's playing style on the Brave New World tour also benefitted from having a slightly more distorted tone than usual, which I think took a bit of his perceived "rawness" out of the mix.

And while recording "Brave New World", Kevin Shirley encouraged him to try a Peavey 5150, a.k.a "The "Gothenburg Sound", a very popular amp during that period, which also made him sound really good on that record.

(Also his clean parts in "Ghost of the Navigator" sounded really good, with Shirley adding a bit of delay afterwards).

On the other hand, Janick himself want to keep things basic in his rig, but I don't think that's entirely right for his style all the time.

Last edited:
Back