Iron Maiden video interviews / shows

I think Bruce's comments were specifically about something like BNW being their best since World Slavery Tour, which is obviously subjective but in my opinion pretty damn hyperbolic. Even if you didn't like the over-the-top, Spinal Tap approach to stage decoration that Somewhere on Tour and Seventh Tour arguably embraced (to a degree anyway), BNW's set design is still downright spartan and not necessarily in a good way. DoD? Sure, you could say it has the same level of theatrics but with a more "classier" presentation, a more tasteful end result. But not BNW if you ask me.

But yeah, opinions and all. I think BNW would've honestly been a better show if they'd stuck to keeping it relatively stripped down. The cross was fine, but the so-called wicker virgins were a bit much. Either that or go hog wild with it and throw in a bunch of stuff like on certain latter tours.

BNW's set design is still downright spartan

Hmm. Yes compared to PS/SiT/SSOASS but not compared to anything between it and...Book of souls tour. Yeah for the better part of 21st century Maiden used painted boxes to change the stage. I had a rant back in 2008 because I felt the original Powerslave stage was way more detailed shape wise. The SBiT stage is in essence the same stage as Early Days, just different wallpapers and some decorative elements (standing mummies). More of those decorative elements were added for FF tour (bulkheads, watch tower, etc...) but again at ME stage looked dull and boxy again.

I wouldn't call Dance of Death dull at all. Sure, it was still built on the usual frame but the art elevated it a lot (especially the background elements) and the Paschendale battlefield was a simple but effective theatrical trick. Same goes for Bruce's outfits for the aforementioned Paschendale and the title track. The light show, while certainly a bit moodier and darker, was also excellent and much better than BNW's was if you ask me.

I will agree that they got a bit lazy since then, though. AMOLAD was an okay attempt but SBiT was a massive disappointment. I do realize the version portrayed in Flight 666 is missing some of the props and effects, but even still it's definitely a step down from the World Slavery original. Same goes for Maiden England. TFF was okay, its problem was more that the space station theme felt pretty dull; they should've used more colors than just grays.

AMOLAD was an okay attempt
Yeah, I was going to say that I liked the AMOLAD set — the barbed wire, vehicle barriers, camo nets, and searchlights were all pretty cool. The inflatable tank malfunctioned at the show I attended, unfortunately; and Bruce described to the audience what we were supposed to have seen, and then blamed the local power company for it not working. :huh:

Yeah, I was going to say that I liked the AMOLAD set — the barbed wire, vehicle barriers, camo nets, and searchlights were all pretty cool. The inflatable tank malfunctioned at the show I attended, unfortunately; and Bruce described to the audience what we were supposed to have seen, and then blamed the local power company for it not working. :huh:
The tank wasn't inflatable, pretty sure it was built out of foam and plywood.

The tank wasn't inflatable, pretty sure it was built out of foam and plywood.
I wouldn’t know because I didn’t see it — I was just passing along what Bruce told us at the show. No tank because they couldn’t inflate it.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I don't remember seeing this before.

This is a really interesting and pretty damn funny Maiden retrospective, including plenty of interviews and a refreshingly un fan-boyish approach. It's well worth a watch!

I've seen that vid and I hate the guy's approach. It's so over-the-top angry masculine tuff guy "I'm right, you're wrong" that it makes me sick. And it's not even that we disagree on so many levels, because I've seen other vids of his that agree with my opinions and I still don't like him.

I've seen that vid and I hate the guy's approach. It's so over-the-top angry masculine tuff guy "I'm right, you're wrong" that it makes me sick. And it's not even that we disagree on so many levels, because I've seen other vids of his that agree with my opinions and I still don't like him.

I both agree and disagree with his various opinions, but I actually find him quite funny. Each to his own I guess ;)

This, pretty much. One of those incredibly annoying, loud, in-your-face guys who seem to be intent on presenting opinion as fact and vice versa whenever it suits his personal biases.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I don't remember seeing this before.

This is a really interesting and pretty damn funny Maiden retrospective, including plenty of interviews and a refreshingly un fan-boyish approach. It's well worth a watch!

@Welsh Phantom

He he, the guy did do an interesting job on No Prayer! He makes fun of all the people who warned against it.

Lol, WTF, he also likes Fear of the Dark! Not just likes. Holy cow: Fear of the Dark:
"One of the most diverse, variegated, nuanced and routinely misunderstood records in the Maiden catalogue. Fuck the halfwits in metal-archives!"
That's bloody brilliant.

Hahahaha: he also says: "Bruce Dickinson has horrendous taste in his own music." Yeah, I feel the same about that sometimes. :D

He totally annihilated Blaze though, which is the more "classic" opinion. He calls him a mongoloid even.

He does not like most reunion era. Understatement.

That anti-Dickinson fanboy rant. And the facts he throws on the table. First this, first that, Paul Di' fucking Aaaannnnnno. :notworthy:

The anti-established opinion on Slumber of the Beast. :notworthy:

His Clive Burr defense! :notworthy:

Last edited:
Didn't like his anti-Blaze rage, and yes, the guy talks hyper fast and annoying (on purpose I think, to extra irritate the huge mass of people who disagree with him) but for the rest he touched some interesting and sensitive points that need to be addressed. Well done.

Last edited:
I didn't have the patience to listen to that for more than three minutes.
If you can get past his style, he actually makes quite a few valid points and places videos and interview clips at just the right moments. He is clearly a fan of the music but doesn't necessarily worship anything and everything Maiden does regardless, which I found quite refreshing.

If you can get past his style, he actually makes quite a few valid points and places videos and interview clips at just the right moments. He is clearly a fan of the music but doesn't necessarily worship anything and everything Maiden does regardless, which I found quite refreshing.

The problem is his style. I'm not a big fan of hip YouTubers, and I really don't want to listen to this sort of thing for a whole hour, especially when it's basically just an opinion that's as valid or invalid as any other. I'm not saying it's wrong to listen to him or denying that he has good or interesting points, but I don't think I'm part of his target audience.

Back