1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Maiden video interviews / shows

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by Forostar, Aug 19, 2007.

1. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

Spain was a notable exception of a market where they did well when Blaze was in the band, yet their popularity there increased significantly when Bruce and Adrian rejoined the band.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. TheTalisman

TheTalisman F├ągel

You don't need to explain that Bruce's return made the audience increase, I'll write it again: "Yet some people will go on and say that they only played "to hundreds" during this time...", I actually saw this recently in another thread.

Anyway, I'll guess Sweden was another exception. 8 000 turned up for a sold out show at Johanneshov in Stockholm in 1998. The next year with Bruce they had 13 500 at Globen in the same city.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Forostar likes this.
  3. Whooten

Whooten Educated Fool

In the US it is absolutely true that they played to hundreds rather than thousands. That is, when they didn't just cancel the dates outright due to "allergies."

soundwave and GhostofCain like this.
  4. GhostofCain

They did well in some markets, that is true.

5. SirRobbins

SirRobbins Ancient Mariner

they cancelled a shit load of shows in the states on the Virtual XI tour....

6. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

It's important to remember that Maiden were declining in the US since 1988.

Zare likes this.
  7. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

More than some. I saw them in the same big venue (thousands) as in 1999. Don't know anymore if both were sold out or not but it was thousands in 1998 and again thousands in 1999. Also thousands in 1995 but that was a different venue with My Dying Bride as opening act (talk about great opening acts).

Shitty interest in Anglo-Saxon countries (where metal was not faring well at all) and perhaps some others should not be projected on Maiden's popularity elsewhere. Not visiting the UK in 1999, I always saw that as a "fuck you for letting us down, you can wait another year before we'll back". The USA was more lucky.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Welsh Phantom and Zare like this.
  8. GhostofCain

They certainly did much better than what Blaze seems to remember nowadays, when he constantly blames EMI for him getting fired rather than his inability to do the old songs justice. ;) On the Virtual XI tour they were playing to bigger audiences than on The X Factor tour; not as big as before, but certainly big enough for Steve not to see it as something worrying.

On the other hand, not playing in the UK in 1999 had more to do with Steve's tax bill than anything else.

9. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

Well, I envy those who got My Dying Bride, all I got was lousy "plastic metal" bands (namely Murderdolls and Trivium). The third and last time was a festival and I got Sepultura before Maiden.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  10. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Whats all this about, then?

11. GhostofCain

I remember someone mentioning that Laz, from the Iron Maiden FC, told him that Steve/Maiden could not play in the UK in 1999 for tax reasons (probably as a result of the deal regarding royalties of the back catalogue).

Niall Kielt likes this.
  12. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

I remember Real Madrid fans had a huge virtual XI flag at the Champions League Semi Final in 1998. I remember being amazed that Maiden were still a big pop culture reference in Spain at that time.

13. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Long audio interview with Bruce and Adrian. The uploader says: "I think it was recorded in 1988/89", but it sounds more like 1984 or 1985 to me. Around 4.14 they get asked if they think of doing a live album, and I think Bruce says "Yes, all four nights Hammersmith".
    And a bit later it seems the interview was done on the very day the documentary was broadcasted for the first time, on MTV.
    @Perun @Zare

@GhostofCain (band footage starts around 16th minute)
    1993.04.05, Ostrava, Czech Republic - TV Special

Do we have Czech member who wants to translate? I am very curious about that press conference. @JudasMyGuide ?

Not sure if this one was shared yet: H & Dave in Athens, 1999.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  14. GhostofCain

Thanks. I had not watched that for ages (I have it on a VHS tape at home).

15. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

I remember that they were scheduled to play a 975 person nightclub (the boardwalk) for TXF in Sacramento in the 90s. That gig fill victim to the 'allergy cancellation', but I had a friend who worked there at the time and he mentioned that initial presales were at only a few hundred so they were hoping that they would get to half-full with door sales (this was before the cancellation). This is one reason why I tend to remember these times as overly dour and depressing from a fan POV.

Of course now, the last time they played Sacramento, it was before 17,000 during the ME tour. I'm still amazed at the rebound.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    GhostofCain likes this.
  16. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

I guess, from the U.S. audience standpoint, they were looked upon as an arena rock band. Maiden never did pubs and clubs there, the way they did in England and some other parts of Europe. With the new singer onboard, the club bookings might have been seen as a hardcore fanbase thing, which they were. And like that small club, Maiden could've sold half of a 10.000 seater, because then you'd have people that go to 'big concerts'. 1/10 of Maiden attendance are hardcore fans, and 3/10 don't even listen to them.

17. GhostofCain

If Maiden could have sold arenas half full in the States with Blaze they would have booked those venues. Fact is the did not. Perhaps it was just allergies. Who knows? ;)

18. Zare

I'm telling you that with a big arena show comes big promotion. You're telling me that Maiden with their proper PR wouldn't pick up 5000 people in a city of a million? Bollocks. Why did they play arenas on VXI tour then?

19. GhostofCain

:confused: Maiden played, for the most part, theatres and ballrooms in the US in 1998, didn't they?

20. Zare

Large theaters and arenas, I've checked about half of the venues.
    P.S. Just to clarify my argument, I have an opinion that's based around Maiden's own decisions being responsible for the lack of U.S. audience in the mid-late 90s. Decisions inside the context of keeping band integrity, I'm not advocating their switch to grunge for general appeal. Besides, grunge bands never said a bad word about Maiden, Kurt liked them, Cornell liked them, they cite them as an influence, and Metallica for that matter too. Grunge seems to have "killed Metal" in the same year Pantera reached #1 in the U.S. A grungy band indeed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017