Iron Maiden - The equipment of the guitarists since 1980

Caio F.

Prowler
Ok, guys, I have put a lot of work on this.

I'm a brazilian guitarist and have always been an enthusiast of guitars, amps and effects and the relationship between them to create the most unique sounds.

When I was younger I used to play a lot along with Maiden songs and always tried to replicate as close as possible their guitar tones which always fascinated me, especially from the SIT and SSOASS era.

For non guitarists, this might have little importance, but for us guitar players fans of Maiden, we all know how unique was the production of the instrumentals on their albums, giving each of them a particular tone and sound.

So I decided to dedicate some time on researching all the equipment the guitarists used throughout the years and came up with a document listing everything I was able to find. You can download it on the link below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fW1XSV-ZacFyNeKujJXR17nQVC5wj5zG

My research was focused on the gear used by Adrian, Dave, Dennis and Janick after 1980, year the self-entitled album was released. The information is only valid for the times the guitarists were actually part of the band.

Several sources from the internet were consulted, such as forums, magazine articles, interviews and photos, therefore errors may be present. I did not consult any physical material such as DVDs or paper magazines because I do not own any. In cases where no accurate information was found, the equipment was deduced based on the history of equipment used on near years.

Please feel free to contribute. If you know any information that was not included or identify errors, please send me a message so I can review the document.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Up the Irons.

Ok, guys, I have put a lot of work on this.

I'm a brazilian guitarist and have always been an enthusiast of guitars, amps and effects and the relationship between them to create the most unique sounds.

When I was younger I used to play a lot along with Maiden songs and always tried to replicate as close as possible their guitar tones which always fascinated me, especially from the SIT and SSOASS era.

For non guitarists, this might have little importance, but for us guitar players fans of Maiden, we all know how unique was the production of the instrumentals on their albums, giving each of them a particular tone and sound.

So I decided to dedicate some time on researching all the equipment the guitarists used throughout the years and came up with a document listing everything I was able to find. You can download it on the link below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fW1XSV-ZacFyNeKujJXR17nQVC5wj5zG

My research was focused on the gear used by Adrian, Dave, Dennis and Janick after 1980, year the self-entitled album was released. The information is only valid for the times the guitarists were actually part of the band.

Several sources from the internet were consulted, such as forums, magazine articles, interviews and photos, therefore errors may be present. I did not consult any physical material such as DVDs or paper magazines because I do not own any. In cases where no accurate information was found, the equipment was deduced based on the history of equipment used on near years.

Please feel free to contribute. If you know any information that was not included or identify errors, please send me a message so I can review the document.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Up the Irons.

You are missing quite a few of H's guitars. Also, there were 2 sunburst HSS stratocasters. Check the guitars topic. I posted a list with pictures.

Also, H's green Jackson and one of the white ones have Duncan JB's in them.

Dave's LAD rosewood strat is a '64 not a '65. Confirmed by Colin Price.

Dave's red Jackson was used at least until 99, not 98. Check St. John's bootleg.

Dave's Cali Series strat made first appearance on GMETID tour, American leg, not DOD tour.

You are also missing Dave's 60th Birthday Strat in snow white, which he played in 2017.

Last edited:
You are missing quite a few of H's guitars. Also, there were 2 sunburst HSS stratocasters. Check the guitars topic. I posted a list with pictures.

Also, H's green Jackson and one of the white ones have Duncan JB's in them.

Dave's LAD rosewood strat is a '64 not a '65. Confirmed by Colin Price.

Dave's red Jackson was used at least until 99, not 98. Check St. John's bootleg.

Dave's Cali Series strat made first appearance on GMETID tour, American leg, not DOD tour.

You are also missing Dave's 60th Birthday Strat in snow white, which he played in 2017.

Thanks for the additional info.

As I said, I mainly focused on amps and effects, having listed only the main guitars. I shall later add those to the document.

P.S. You missed another important guitar. Adrian's Les Paul Standard in black, bought in New York in 2017.

H’s LP Custom was also used during Maiden England Tour. Also, I am not sure that his Strats had SDs in the bridge. Anyway, nice initiative :ok:

H’s LP Custom was also used during Maiden England Tour. Also, I am not sure that his Strats had SDs in the bridge. Anyway, nice initiative :ok:

His #1 Sunburst Strat had something that looked like Paf Pro until 2000 (Bruce tours and Ed Hunter). Then, it was changed to a DiMarzio with one row of screw pole-pieces, my assumption would be a Tone Zone.

#2 Sunburst Strat and the Cream Strat always had/have Fender humbuckers.

#2 Sunburst Strat is still used in hotels by H and mainly resides in his living room in Gerard's Cross. Same as #1 Strat, it used to be outfited by aftermarket MIDI pickup around 2006, but that has been since removed. This guitar was also H's main guitar during 2011 TFF rehearsals, since his other guitars needed to be weighted along with other cargo. It also sported a peace sticker on the arm rest for a while, but that has been removed before 2011 rehearsals.

Back