Iron Maiden Survivor done: Hallowed and Rime co-champions

Vote for your LEAST favorite songs!

• Hallowed Be Thy Name

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
Re: Iron Maiden Survivor FINAL BATTLE: Hallowed vs. Rime (Jan 5-7)

I ended up voting for Rime.
From the beginning I knew Hallowed was going to win but I wanted something else, but now I want it to win.
I still think Powerslave is better though.

Hallowed.

Great stuff, but I really find Rime a richer song. Much more parts, many awesome riffs and bass lines, great atmosphere, the climactic midpiece is unbeatable and probably caused some local earthquakes on the Somewhere Back in Time Tour.

Positive aspects of Hallowed: One of the best vocal performances of Bruce, intriguing lyrics, great harmonic guitar playing.

Negative aspects of Hallowed's studio version: Intro is too fast (the loud cymbal accents by Clive are annoying and ill timed), the rest is too slow.

For the rest, Hallowed is Maiden's most often played song (together with Iron Maiden), and that's why we hardly hear some other epics of the eighties.

The solos on Hallowed are so so, especially Adrian's. When we look at Rime the guitar work is ten times as strong, especially Adrian's solo is one of his best.

Well, I could go on for a long time, naming awesome aspects of Rime, but I better shouldn't, this post would last forever.  :D

One more thing: just play these two tracks in a row, and it really isn't that difficult to make the right choice.
;)

edit: Mega, you vote for Rime but you want it too win?

Hallowed Be Thy Name, although Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is not my fave Maiden song.

Oh I meant I knew Hallowed was going to win!
My bad.

Also, awesome, my thread inspired best metal song ever. Nice.

I voted Rime.

Rime is in my top 10 Maiden songs but only around number 7 or 8. Hallowed is number 1.  The intro is brilliant and sets the atmosphere in the whole song. Bruce's voice perfectly fits the desperation of a man sentenced to death.

And the entire ending after the solos is so epic. My favorite part is from about 5 minutes to the end. Although I agree with Forostar. The solos aren't that great for such a great song, still pretty good solos though. Dave's is great but I don't think Adrians is that brilliant.

My top 10 isn't that similar to this top 10 but hopefully the number 1's are the same  ;)

Rime of the Ancient Mariner: it's intense, heavy, melodic, atmospheric, poetic and amazing. But I think it drags out far too long, and that return to the main-riff towards just makes it a bit boring. I love the individual parts, but as a whole it can get dull.

Hallowed Be Thy Name: my favourite parts of this song are its sweet melodies; they just reach down into your soul! And you do not have any realy repitions, the music and lyrics perfectly displays the thoughts and feelings of a man facing death. It is one of the few songs I can not find anything negative about! It deserves to win.

Jonszat said:
Dave's is great but I don't think Adrians is that brilliant.

Maybe we shouldn't beat around the bush: it sucks.

Reumeren, ever appreciated other songs of such length as Rime? This is really one of the best 13+minutes metal songs ever written. I guess Maiden fans ought to realize that. To call this song boring sounds a bit unbelievable on this forum. Taste is taste of course so I respect that. Just my two cents.

I think they are great solos. Not their best, but great solos. Adrian's is the better one though.

Adrian's lead sound on NOTB is not my cup of tea. There are some nice ones (22, Prisoner and Damned) but most of the stuff sounds like he squeezed those solos from his guitar in some old East End toilet, bothered with some broken finger or something.

Never before or after did he sound as bad as on NOTB.

I really don't have an ear for solos, I know Maiden enough to tell the guitarists apart (for the most part), but I could never discuss them in-depth. Do any of you guys have a favourite solo?

One? That's difficult. I actually thought about doing a survivor like that. ;)

Fuck it, a vote against Hallowed. Forostar has a point, overall Rime is a better song. The solos after the quiet part are brilliant.

Children of the Damned is one of my favorite Maiden solos. Although I don't think the Adrian solo in Hallowed sucks I just think it's pretty average.

And the only song of 13 minutes or over I've listened too is Dantes Inferno by Iced Earth. I prefer Rime but being a great very long song doesn't mean it's better than a shorter song (not like Hallowed is exactly short though)

Hallowed. To me, Rime IS the best Maiden song, and I just don't understand how anyone can argue otherwise. The guitar work is better, the lyrics are better, I like it better live, it's more memorable, the vocals are the best...

Hallowed used to be my favourite song actually until I saw Maiden live and they performed Rime. That one live performance sealed Hallowed's fate.

And who gives a crap about length? Sometimes I wish it was longer and then I realize I can just replay the song.

Hallowed. Just to keep tie ;)

HBTN.

Most has been said by others about the two songs now, but I'd like to once more emphasize that Rime of the Ancient Mariner contains the greatest three and a half minutes of heavy metal (from 7:31 to the main riff comes back at 11:01). Nothing Maiden has done beats that part, and it wins this contest for me.

And it makes sense that this riff returns: the mariner is bound to tell his tale on and on. The music fits to that idea imo.

Forostar said:
And it makes sense that this riff returns: the mariner is bound to tell his tale on and on. The music fits to that idea imo.

I agree, and it also unifies the song in a nice way. Also see the discussion about Losfer Words where SMX goes on about how that song is built, and how that also can be said to apply to Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Back