IRON MAIDEN SURVIVOR #7: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 6th time!

2MTM and Still Life.

Fanbase seems to really adore the latter track, of always felt its slightly better than average. Kinda plods, like a lot of side 2 of POM is wont to do.

"Still Life" is Maiden doing the AOR sound (although much better than most AOR bands), IMHO.

Last edited:
Arrgghh looks like Still Life is on it's way out. That's my favorite remaining PoM song on this list.
My actual favorite from the album is already gone (Die With Your Boots On).

From now on I'm all about keeping all Somewhere in Time songs.

Yeah “Still Life” is a brilliant four and a half minutes of Maiden excellence, a nice mixture between the moody and the metal to create magic. Maiden’s ability to pack so much into one short little song like that is uncanny and the theatrical fall into insanity is fucking amazing. Best song on the album and one of their best overall.

Stranger in a Sea of Icarus

In the place that Icarus allegedly has fallen there’s an island which since the antiquity is named Icaria.
The Sea around the island is called exactly like that: Sea of Icarus.

What’s more, this might be the most abnormal island in Greece, where the banks open at 11:00 am and schools & other services after noon. Some shops have nobody inside, you just enter take whatever you like and leave the money, while owners do their siesta. Locals are extremely slow (on purpose and on ideology*) and very prone to (traditional) parties.

Nothing related to Icarus, this island used to be place of exile for Communists (it was illegal to be one after WWII) it must be that.

VWXiuO7.jpg

Eliminated after Round 8:
Still Life - 15 votes
Flight Of Icarus - 14 votes
Sea Of Madness - 13 votes
Stranger In A Strange Land - 12 votes

Promoted after Round 8:
Where Eagles Dare
Revelations
The Trooper
Caught Somewhere In Time
Wasted Years
Alexander The Great

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son joins the game! 6 votes this time.

Trying to use all my votes, even though SSOASS is one of my favorite albums.

Aces High
2 Minutes To Midnight
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Can I Play With Madness
The Clairvoyant
Only The Good Die Young

Edit: I'm unclear on the rules, what determines which songs are promoted? Why were the rest of the SIT songs promoted to the next round before the rest of the Powerslave songs?

• The Prophecy, since it's the weakest song on the current list.
  • Reluctantly, since everything else left is a 9/10 or 10/10, I will vote against the 9/10 songs: Aces High, Powerslave, Moonchild, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, and Only The Good Die Young.

Edit: I'm unclear on the rules, what determines which songs are promoted? Why were the rest of the SIT songs promoted to the next round before the rest of the Powerslave songs?
When only 3 songs from an album remain, they are promoted. The order doesn't matter. Thus songs can "survive" as long as 4 songs from the album survive.

Eliminated after Round 8:

Flight Of Icarus - 14 votes
Sea Of Madness - 13 votes
FOI is a classic and SOM is a gem (I listen to it almost every day).

I voted for:

Moonchild
Can I Play With Madness
The Prophecy
The Clairvoyant

CIPWM and Prophecy are the weakest songs of all. Moonchild and Clairvoyant - great songs, but the competition is brutal.

Minutes, Madness, Son, Proph, Clair, Young

Tough round, but still determined to use all my votes, so ruthless I must be.

The Prophesy was that 2 Aces Can Moonchild The Clairvoyant.

Moonchild
moo͞nchīld
transitive verb
  1. To manage and direct; be in charge of a child under moonlight.
  2. The act of selecting and playing Iron Maiden instead of Rory Gallagher when being disc jockey at an entertainment event or nightclub and asked for this title.

I will go for just 3 songs this time. 2 Minutes To Midnight, to promote the other 3 from Powerslave. And Can I Play With Madness and The Prophecy which are by far the weakest songs on that album. The remaining songs will probably destroy the 90s material, starting from No Prayer in the next round.

I don't understand, why some members don't use maximum number of votes. Because that's what this game is all about. You have to make hard decisions, you have to choose your least favourite songs from your favourite songs. If you can't make though decisions here, can you make them in other life situations?

Anyway, just my 2 cents about this subject. In the end I guess, everybody does what they think is most suitable.

Mu votes:
2 Minutes to Moonchild
Can I Play with Prophecy
Only the Clairvoyant die Young

Back