IRON MAIDEN SURVIVOR #7: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 6th time!

Alexander The Great

I love it, but the others songs were (some still are) all in my Top 10 songs at some point. Alexander was also always very close though.

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Rime Of The Mariner

As long as none of these make it to #1 I'll be happy, considering most of the good ones have been eliminated already.

Hell On Earth? I don't get the fuss about this one.
The melodies and the chorus are some of Maiden's very best. I can say the same about TRATB, only replace chorus with verses. Brutal instrumental section. Steve really mastered himself even more with these songs. I feel like since the 80's (or since 1998) he always wanted to write such long songs with many different melodies. Everything is supported amazingly well with great solos, riffs, vibe and consistency.
New album bias, innit.
No chance.
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Rime Of The Mariner

As long as none of these make it to #1 I'll be happy, considering most of the good ones have been eliminated already.
They're not good ones? Or you just want a different winner for a change? Some songs are classics for a reason. The amount of votes for Hallowed is curious. One of the emblems of the band!

The melodies and the chorus are some of Maiden's very best. I can say the same about TRATB, only replace chorus with verses. Brutal instrumental section. Steve really mastered himself even more with these songs. I feel like since the 80's (or since 1998) he always wanted to write such long songs with many different melodies. Everything is supported amazingly well with great solos, riffs, vibe and consistency.

No chance.

They're not good ones? Or you just want a different winner for a change? Some songs are classics for a reason. The amount of votes for Hallowed is curious. One of the emblems of the band!
Hallowed is a legendary song but I prefer many songs much more. It's not even close to my top 10 due to there being so many fantastic songs.

Rime on the other hand is incredibly overrated and has no business being even in the top 50 (in my opinion of course).

I realised I've been looking at it wrong - fixating on the fact Hallowed and Alexander are undeservedly high, but looking at it from the opposite POV, Powerslave, Rime and Hell on Earth are all in Top 5, which is really great and I'm happy for that, because all three are absolutely stellar and all have their unique personality to me.

Yeah, it's a pity Dance of Death isn't there, but what are you going to do?

(I didn't expect The Legacy to have much success, I suspect it is too weird for the general tastes, so I don't mind that one)

VWXiuO7.jpg

Top 10
Hell On Earth
06. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
07. Caught Somewhere In Time
08. Wasted Years
09. The Book Of Souls
10. The Trooper

Top 10
Hell On Earth
06. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
07. Caught Somewhere In Time
08. Wasted Years
09. The Book Of Souls
10. The Trooper
I wished it had stayed for another round, but a Top 5 finish for a song from the latest album is quite the achievement.
I wonder if the song had 1/2 more repetition of the chorus the votes for it (or the finish) would have been the same? I'm really curious?

My vote is the same as the previous round -> the awesome Alexander The Great.

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

I wonder if the song had 1/2 more repetition of the chorus the votes for it (or the finish) would have been the same? I'm really curious?

I've seen many say that the chorus should've been repeated more, but I disagree. It appears twice, once without lyrics and once with. It's great but there's no reason to keep coming back to it. Personally the "love in anger" part is one of the best sections of a Maiden song in the past 25 years, but even that gets a second repetition, so that's fine.

The only things that needed a bit more work were shortening the repeating measures after the intro melody and before the drums come in, as well as the fade out that goes for a minute. The song deserved a much stronger ending than what it got.

I've seen many say that the chorus should've been repeated more, but I disagree. It appears twice, once without lyrics and once with. It's great but there's no reason to keep coming back to it. Personally the "love in anger" part is one of the best sections of a Maiden song in the past 25 years, but even that gets a second repetition, so that's fine.

The only things that needed a bit more work were shortening the repeating measures after the intro melody and before the drums come in, as well as the fade out that goes for a minute. The song deserved a much stronger ending than what it got.
I disagree about the chorus. It's better with lyrics and it's glorious. For an 11-minutes long song, it's a waste not to be repeated at least once more. I love the 2nd chorus too, at least it is repeated twice.

I agree that the intro and especially the outro could have been shorter (1 minute shorter for example), some bits in the intro are repeated more than the ones before which is odd, but I think the dreamy atmosphere the intro creates is great (even without lyrics) and the fade out is a fitting ending for the song. The song feels eternal that way. The different ending could have been right before the outro with the drum beat.

Back