IRON MAIDEN SURVIVOR #7: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 6th time!

Not so strange it was a time ~20 years ago that everyone here was hailing this song like a messiah with amens involved and all. Other hypes such as for Starblind or Empire have died, but Paschendale not entirely so.

Difference being that Starblind and Empire are both much better songs. Paschendale has great lyrics, but so do the other two (especially Starblind). Musically it's one of the least daring epics out there and quite boring in my eyes. Can't wait until it's eliminated.

Difference being that Starblind and Empire are both much better songs. Paschendale has great lyrics, but so do the other two (especially Starblind). Musically it's one of the least daring epics out there and quite boring in my eyes. Can't wait until it's eliminated.
Musically it’s on a completely different scale than “Starblind”, which never gets anywhere.

Musically it’s on a completely different scale than “Starblind”, which never gets anywhere.
You can't be serious, right? The only genuinely interesting thing Paschendale does musically is the little tapping riff, which admittedly is awesome. Other than that there's really nothing special happening in that song.

Starblind completely destroys Paschendale on the basis of having much more interesting rhythms, syncopations and time signatures. We don't have to agree on this and it's totally fine to enjoy Paschendale and dislike Starblind, but it's totally wild to pretend that Starblind isn't objectively a much more interesting composition than Paschendale lol

5-way tie for second place, it'll be interesting to see which ones get the axe.

In theory all five of them should get the axe, which would whittle the remaining group down to 16 songs.
Nah, there are tiebreaker rules in the first post in this thread. Average number of votes and total votes will break ties, and there’s a tiebreaker vote if all the tiebreaking numbers are also tied. Only 3 of the 5 should get axed.

The only genuinely interesting thing Paschendale does musically is the little tapping riff, which admittedly is awesome. Other than that there's really nothing special happening in that song.
I don't agree at all. Melodic riffs (with the stops in between), orchestral riff, solos, drumming, chorus, second chorus/verses. There's only one longer epic song that I don't find interesting in the entire discography - the lead single from 1998. That's it! Maiden's long songs are always interesting.

You can't be serious, right? The only genuinely interesting thing Paschendale does musically is the little tapping riff, which admittedly is awesome. Other than that there's really nothing special happening in that song.

Starblind completely destroys Paschendale on the basis of having much more interesting rhythms, syncopations and time signatures. We don't have to agree on this and it's totally fine to enjoy Paschendale and dislike Starblind, but it's totally wild to pretend that Starblind isn't objectively a much more interesting composition than Paschendale lol
“Starblind” is a nice attempt at prog, but they really should have spent more time on the song. Bruce’s vocal intro is super rocky, the vocal melodies elsewhere just never peak. The chorus is a less-good “Infinite Dreams” rewrite, the instrumental section finally gets somewhere but ends so fast. I really wish they explored that more. To me it’s a by-the-numbers Maiden song and Bruce gets a little lost in his poetics.

“Paschendale” meanwhile is so much more engaging throughout. I can understand why people don’t like the start-stop approach, but even then every moment of that songs is awesome. It has like five different climaxes, each one better than the one before. The solos slap, even Janick’s. The lyrics are gut wrenching. The chorus is powerful as fuck. And it’s bookended by one of Maiden’s most beautifully poetic pieces ever. Night and day man, night and day.

I love both Starblind and Paschendale, but I'm team Starblind here. Paschendale was one of my favorites when I became a fan and I overplayed it then, while Starblind's unique atmosphere still draws me in time after time. It's truly one of the most magical and mystical songs in the catalog. A shame that The Final Frontier is entirely gone already.

Despite Starblind being the object of one of my rants here some five years ago, and one I pretty much expected to be controversial - even though it wasn't by the end, I shouldn't overestimate how much or how little people actually care - I'm as surprised as you lot that I would actually pick it over Paschendale. The song has a much better flow, it doesn't feel as plodding and honestly, the production/mastering helps too (Paschendale sounds like shite, thanks to being from the worst sounding Maiden album of them all). And the chorus being a rewrite/recontextualisation of Infinite Dreams is better than the most memorable part of Paschendale being the tapping riff that sounds like an early Nokia ringphone.

(* had a part here facepalming about the lyrics of Infinite Dreams as well, but deleted it, so as not to be too controversial in one post *)

It's truly one of the most magical and mystical songs in the catalog.

I prefer Avalon or Legacy, but I get what you mean.

Starblind's unique atmosphere still draws me in time after time. It's truly one of the most magical and mystical songs in the catalog. A shame that The Final Frontier is entirely gone already.
I'm a big fan of that the songs to have a mystical/magical atmosphere. Starblind, Isle Of Avalon, Seventh Son, To Tame A Land are perfect examples.
We can't be sure, but yeah, I agree about TFF album. They should have played a 6th song from it in 2011.

VWXiuO7.jpg

Eliminated after Round 37:
The Parchment - 13 votes

Only one elimination? Anyway, once more:

Aces High
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Wasted Years
Paschendale

Back