IRON MAIDEN STUDIO ALBUM COVERS SURVIVOR 2015: Results -> Somewhere In Time wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
The Number of the Beast
No Prayer for the Dying
Dance of Death

NOTB: I always thought this one was a bit naff. It doesn't have the quality of the other eighties covers. It's just overblown and heading for over-the-top without managing to in the way Powerslave does.
No Prayer: This is why I asked whether the originals or the reissue versions count. I really dislike the original cover. It's drawn without passion, as most of Riggs' paintings at the time, it's unfinished (see the blank plaque on Eddie's tomb) and the cartoon guy was a bad touch - especially because I'm not even sure where he stands and the whole picture is kind of off in its perspective. The reissue is a bit better. But mostly, it's a rehash. Eddie rising from the grave? That'd been done before and much better.
Dance of Death: I doubt I need to explain.

Look, I can't begin much against people who don't like puppets in electric chairs but:

395.jpg

This one has too many votes. Already.
So hard to believe that people really prefer the artwork of the last two albums.

The last two are fitting for their time. So are the Blaze ones, arguably, but the 90's realistic/'back to basics' culture hasn't aged well imo.

What's not serious about AMOL&D's cover? I can understand saying that about TFF which is kinda goofy (but still pretty good)...

Or Maiden, as ever, mixing serious aspects with comic book. If they put out a deadly serious cover it would kill off the fun side of Maiden's image.

I think the cover of AMoLaD is okay. Not keen on the war theme though. It has that "just another Heavy Metal album cover" look about it.

I personally think LAD is the best cover (or at least it's up there with Powerslave & SiT); magnificent on that vinyl gatefold. Unfortunately it ain't in this game tho'...

I find it cartoonish. Less than the next album, but hopefully much more than the upcoming one.
The imagery is average.

Also, even though less important: Eddie is the smallest and the simplest from all albums.

And I don't find the whole thing well done. I don't like the technique. I prefer work with more detail and atmosphere.

Last edited:
Another aspect: I don't find it well done. I don't like the technique. I prefer work with more detail and atmosphere.
Yeh, that's the problem I have with some of the later covers too; DoD especially. It literally looks like someone put that together in half an hour. Looks amateurish.

Eddie is the smallest and the simplest from all albums.

That was a nice touch, I thought. Something different. I like Eddie being there, but not the focus.

TFF is by far the worst. Cartoon violence for kiddies. How and why grown men put that on their album cover mystifies me. Plus, Eddie no longer even looks human. I'd rather live in a house made of NPFTD and DOD covers than see TFF one more time.

Back