IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 8:
The Fallen Angel - 23 votes
The Mercenary - 18 votes
The Nomad - 16 votes
No More Lies - 14 votes

Promoted after Round 8:
Rainmaker
Dance Of Death
Paschendale

These Colours
Thousand Suns
The Wicker Man
Dream of Mirrors
The Thin Line
Reaction to the above:

These Colours - OK, I can see why it's not universally loved.
Thousand Suns - Insane, a clear Adrian Smith masterpiece, but sure, some people think that longer, more storytelling pieces are "disjointed and bad"
The Wicker Man - What in the actual fuck, were you dropped on your head as a child?
Dream of Mirrors - The first Gers/Harris collab, certainly inferior to those which followed.
The Thin Line - I'm on this train.

For the Greater Good of God, Blood Brothers, Dream of Mirrors, Out of the Silent Planet, The Thin Line Between Love & Hate

Breeg and, I guess, The Legacy - that’s all I have the heart to vote for and that second one is real tough.

I won’t be participating in any further BNW eliminations.

Thousand Suns - Insane, a clear Adrian Smith masterpiece, but sure, some people think that longer, more storytelling pieces are "disjointed and bad"
Thousand Suns is a pretty killer song, (and the chorus is actually the best part, the repetition works great), but I can see votes for it because I’m not the biggest fan of the faster “bury your morals...” section. I don’t think Bruce nails it as well as he nails almost every other part of the song. Everything else is well constructed though, although the vocals and music sound mostly out of sync, but I assume that’s for an artistic reason.

These colours, Navigator and Blood brothers.

Blood Brothers I feel is the weak track of the BNW. It is great live, but mostly due to crowd and all the small details and improv that happens on stage. TCDR and Navigator, mostly because I felt like one pick is not enough. I like these songs in healthy amounts, however TCDR has too stock chrous riff and the riff that leads to instrumental, the song is certainly anthemic but it isn't so epic for me (compared to Longest Day for example).

Navigator I really don't like the lyrics. Too cheesy. I don't like the repetition in it. It gets repeated like it's a standard rock song but it isn't. It has a repeated verse->bridge->chorus structure with intro and solo section. However the intro isn't trivial (3 parts) and does a build up. Verse kicks in, then we have bridge in two sections which differ in groove, key and feel. Then the chorus. At this moment the listener has been through numerous parts and changes (7 if I count correctly), the song has been built up and returning to repetition annoys the hell out of my ears.

These Colours Don’t Run
The Legacy
Blood Brothers
Dream Of Mirrors
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate

...and screw Paschendale’s golden ticket, I’ll just have to vote it down again later.

I still believe all those AMoLaD songs are superior to the BNW songs remaining. That being said, I would love to see the title track, Ghost, and Dream of Mirrors advance.

Voted for:
  • The Wicker Man
  • Blood Brothers
  • Out of the Silent Planet
  • The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
That was the toughest vote so far. I love Blood Brothers, OotSP, and Thin Line.

These Colours Don't Run - Sadly there is 4 stronger tracks left from AMOLAD
The Legacy - I don't see how this song has made it this far, I prefer Out Of The Shadows to it, and I agree with that one being out of the game thus far.
Brave New World - Never clicked with me plus Stranger In A Strange Land has a better usage of Brave New World in its chorus...
Dream Of Mirrors - Haven't revisited it in a long time
Out On A Silent Planet - The spacy theme didn't work for me. Not a bad song but still not the best here.

To be frank the only 2 songs from Brave New World I will listen to normally are The Wickerman and Blood Brothers.

These Colours Don't Run - Sadly there is 4 stronger tracks left from AMOLAD
The Legacy - I don't see how this song has made it this far, I prefer Out Of The Shadows to it, and I agree with that one being out of the game thus far.
Brave New World - Never clicked with me plus Stranger In A Strange Land has a better usage of Brave New World in its chorus...
Dream Of Mirrors - Haven't revisited it in a long time
Out On A Silent Planet - The spacy theme didn't work for me. Not a bad song but still not the best here.

To be frank the only 2 songs from Brave New World I will listen to normally are The Wickerman and Blood Brothers.
What a madlad!

Back