IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
I do like The Legacy more than The Talisman, but I appreciate the seafaring feel of The Talisman. The halftime riffing in between verses conjures a rickety ship in a storm.

Brighter Than a Thousand Suns is a contender for my #1 Maiden song.
Yeah, that's fair. The Talisman is quite thematic when it comes to the music. I tend to be more vocals-focused than music focused, so the two need to come together for me (like they do on BTATS).

The Janick string of epics from the last three albums are all fantastic pieces of songwriting. Probably all in my Top 30, and The Legacy has always been a contender for Top 10, although lately I’ve been preferring FTGGOG from AMOLAD.

Looking at the results of the first few rounds of voting, it would be interesting to see a short (6:00 and under) songs only battle royale and a long (6+) songs only melee. Sad to see all of the shorties gone so soon.

The Janick string of epics from the last three albums are all fantastic pieces of songwriting. Probably all in my Top 30, and The Legacy has always been a contender for Top 10, although lately I’ve been preferring FTGGOG from AMOLAD.
Yes, and even DoD has the Janick-penned title track and BNW has OOTSP and Ghost of the Navigator. Janick has been truly awesome in these past 20 years.

Isle of Avalon
Starblind
When the wild wind blows
These colours don’t run
The Legacy
The Red And The Black

Looking at the remaining BOS tracks I’m going to toss a vote onto The Red And The Black since the other 3 are above it.

The Red & the Black, Empire of the Clouds, When the Wild Wind Blows

Three "epics" who don't provide nearly enough interesting, fresh ideas for their length.

Nah ah, this is "eliminate the worst", of course we talk about why we think a song is the worst. In a game of "choose the best" I will talk about Empire much more, and also when it will somehow bomb before IESF you'll see at least a crying gif ;_; ;_;

Yeah, not sure how this point didn't obviously stand out as the reason why Survivors are more critique based than appreciation based.

Isle of Avalon:

Fertility mother goddess
Sow the seeds of the born

How freaking epic is that part? TFF is a pretty strong album in general, I’m now discovering. How have I managed to overlook it thus far?
I was listening to TFF recently before this survivor began, and found new appreciation of it. I found myself thoroughly enjoying solos and individual parts of songs I'd forgotten. I hadn't heard Mother of Mercy for ages, which I've always liked, and found The Man Who Would Be King more catchy than I remember it. I also enjoyed Coming Home more, in a lighters-in-the-air Blood Brothersy sort of way, than I did originally.

I'm still as much of a fan as ever of Talisman, and the lively title track, which I consider in the same league as Wicker Man, certainly a more memorable than Different World and Wildest Dreams (yeah, I know, it's a different kettle of fish to your average opening track, having Satellite 15 adjoining it).

TFF didn't age all that well for me, but I still have it in the upper echelon of Maiden albums. I clearly appreciate its first half more than the average survivor voter.

Voting's going to get a bit easier when Dance Of Death comes in.
Yes, but I wonder who will be the 3rd winner from that album. The Book of Souls had much rougher choices, but I think everybody knew it will come down to these 3. In DoD I don't have a clue whether it will be: Rainmaker, No More Lies (these seem the most plausible), Montsegur, Journeyman, or even Face in the Sand.

So what do you think the two obvious ones are? (I meant that Dance of Death and Paschendale should take the first two slots).

Back