Iron Maiden or British Steel?

Iron Maiden or British Steel?

• Total voters
I voted for British Steel. Great album.

Don't get me wrong: Iron Maiden is an excellent debut album, but I would put it below British Steel thanks to that "gem" that is Charlotte the Harlot.

I voted for British Steel. Great album.

Don't get me wrong: Iron Maiden is an excellent debut album, but I would put it below British Steel thanks to that "gem" that is Charlotte the Harlot.
Are you saying that if it had different title/subject/lyrics you wouldn't?

Thinking about it, this makes quite an interesting head-to-head. Two of metal's finest bands (in my eyes, the two finest bands) with the two albums that brought them massive success, for different reasons. British Steel broke Priest into the mainstream, Iron Maiden started Maiden's huge career. I'd like to give this some thought.

I criticize the Di'Anno era of Maiden a lot, but I think that Iron Maiden has a lot more of a draw to it than British Filler does.

Thinking about it, this makes quite an interesting head-to-head. Two of metal's finest bands (in my eyes, the two finest bands) with the two albums that brought them massive success, for different reasons. British Steel broke Priest into the mainstream, Iron Maiden started Maiden's huge career. I'd like to give this some thought.

Prowler vs Rapid Fire

Both tracks are quite similar and make bold statements right off the bat, but I think Rapid Fire just edges out Prowler. Sweet trade off solo section, plus Rapid Fire doesn't have lyrics about flashing.

Sanctuary vs Metal Gods

I never did like Sanctuary much and never understood why Maiden insisted it be played live so often. Metal Gods became one of my favourite Priest songs almost immediately. The riffs totally capture the imagery of monstrous, lumbering machines towering over mankind. Also, bonus points for the foley effects, never before have trays of cutlery sounded so menacing!

Remember Tomorrow vs Breaking The Law

Tough call on this one. RT is the more interesting song of the two, a great early showcase of Maiden's progressive influences. BTL though... Argh, can you really argue with that infectious chorus?! It's iconic status shouldn't be a deciding factor, it's just a bloody great song.

Running Free vs Grinder

OK, bit easier this time. Running Free is the song Maiden thinks Sanctuary is. Grinder is fillery filler.

Phantom of the Opera
vs United

One of metal's greatest epics vs an attempt at We Will Rock You-style stadium rock. Priest are no strangers to that kind of song, but United isn't even the best of that bunch, Take On The World from the previous album is much, much stronger. Phantom was Maiden's first epic and still stands as one of their best.

Transylvania vs You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise

You Don't Have To Be Old To Know That Transylvania Wins This Round.

Strange World vs Living After Midnight

Ah, Strange World. One of Maiden's most massively underappreciated songs, and one of my absolute favourites. A beautiful, melancholic song that, again, really shows off Maiden's progressive influences. Nothing really wrong with LAM, in fact I enjoy it a lot, but I'd never class it as one of my favourites.

Charlotte the Harlot vs The Rage

Another difficult one. My only problem with CTH is the God-awful, cringe-as-fuck lyrics in the bridge, musically I think it's great. The Rage is certainly the more interesting of the two, with its nice, almost reggae-style intro and cool-ass heavy riff. The lyrics make it feel a little incomplete (even Rob doesn't know what the hell he's talking about), but no mention of off-colour drawers, so The Rage takes this round.

Iron Maiden vs Steeler

Iron Maiden decided to close Iron Maiden with Iron Maiden, a song that's almost like a mission statement for the rest of their career. Steeler doesn't make any kind of statement other than "we ran out of ideas". It's not really the fairest round; its status as concert-closer has made almost never listen to IM, whereas I still occasionally listen to Steeler despite its shortcomings. Even so, I'd still class Iron Maiden as the better song.

British Steel struggles in its second half, but it still put up a good fight, with a result that was closer than I expected. But, Iron Maiden wins 5 - 4.

I voted for Iron Maiden - so many classics from it and it is the best debut album ever IMHO.

British Steel is great too, but not best from Priest.

Last edited:
As a bigger Priest fan, I think Iron Maiden is a better LP.

British Steel is great but it comes in at #9 on my top 10 Priest albums.
Iron Maiden is #3 on my top 10 Maiden albums.

BS has Breaking the Law, Metal Gods, Grinder, Rapid Fire, Living After Midnight, The Rage, Steeler. And great production.

Honestly, neither is among my favourites by the respective band. The IM debut has higher highs (Phantom, Transylvania, Strange World, Running Free), but lower lows (mostly the rest of the album, with the hard rock bent and less melody than I'm used to with Maiden in general), wheres British Steel is more consistent and apart from YDHTBOTBW (gee, what a mouthful of a title already) being way too long, it lacks any real stinker in sight, the stupid chorus of Grinder notwithstanding.

In the end I'll probably go with Maiden, because there really is nothing like Phantom on BS, whereas the Priest scope is much more limited in comparison. Though honestly, The Rage is criminally underrated.

Back