Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

I do miss Bruce's radio show. I'm surprised that he's not been picked up by some digital station like Planet Rock to revive it.

So do I!

I have very fond memories of listening to the Rock Show (and the Freak Zone when Bruce was presenting it) on demand at work at the start of every week. My PhD and first steps in academia would have been very different without Bruce’s radio show!

A very informative column. :)

I'm very suspicious about the number of times for Burning Ambition and especially Invasion. Invasion is on the Soundhouse Tapes, are you saying they only played it 5 times in the pub days? I suspect this is someone going to setlist.fm and writing an article off their stats.

I'm very suspicious about the number of times for Burning Ambition and especially Invasion. Invasion is on the Soundhouse Tapes, are you saying they only played it 5 times in the pub days? I suspect this is someone going to setlist.fm and writing an article off their stats.
That's exactly what I told to myself yesterday. Imo, the journalist that did this column is a newbie and never heard of Iron Maiden before. :facepalm:

I went back in time and found this interview

"Somebody came to us with the idea for an Iron Maiden red wine. I was like, 'that's weird'. I mean, I drink red wine but it doesn't feel to me like it's the identity of who we are."

I went back in time and found this interview

"Somebody came to us with the idea for an Iron Maiden red wine. I was like, 'that's weird'. I mean, I drink red wine but it doesn't feel to me like it's the identity of who we are."

Thanks for sharing that. I was tempted to post the promotional interviews when Trooper was launched back in 2013 and Bruce was saying how beer was in their DNA and that they have been approached to do a Maiden wine but that would not align with their identity (even though the Fan Club had been selling wine bottles for some years by then). He also was proudly boasting about being involved in the creation of the beers, which made them different to the usual “slap-your-logo-on-the-bottle” gimmick.

Guess what? A decade later we have a multitude of beers brewed in different countries where the Maiden logo has been slapped on the bottle and now the first wine of, I would imagine, many.

Iron Maiden, the merchandising factory that sometimes created music.

I'm very suspicious about the number of times for Burning Ambition and especially Invasion. Invasion is on the Soundhouse Tapes, are you saying they only played it 5 times in the pub days? I suspect this is someone ChatGPT going to setlist.fm and writing an article off their stats.
FTFY. These clickbait articles are so lazily written. I don't think we can ever really confidently say how many times those songs from the early days were played live. They gigged so heavily in the 70s that I imagine some of these songs were played heavily.

By the way, once again speaking to the fact that the author clearly didn't do his homework, whether Back in the Village was played live is still kinda controversial. And even if it were true, we just have that audio clip from one show. There's no indication/verification if it was played a second time. Might as well claim that Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner was also played live a second time since iirc we don't have bootlegs from the second night of that tour.

Thanks for sharing that. I was tempted to post the promotional interviews when Trooper was launched back in 2013 and Bruce was saying how beer was in their DNA and that they have been approached to do a Maiden wine but that would not align with their identity (even though the Fan Club had been selling wine bottles for some years by then). He also was proudly boasting about being involved in the creation of the beers, which made them different to the usual “slap-your-logo-on-the-bottle” gimmick.

Guess what? A decade later we have a multitude of beers brewed in different countries where the Maiden logo has been slapped on the bottle and now the first wine of, I would imagine, many.

Iron Maiden, the merchandising factory that sometimes created music.

They've had Eddie's Evil Brew for donkey's years at least back to the 90s

It seems there's a new interview with Adrian for Guitar World, in which he discusses Powerslave because of the album's anniv. Idk if we can find the whole thing?

In this short excerpt, he said that his solo on the title track of the album is one of his favorites and that the album was recorded with his Lado guitar.
The song joins Wicker Man and Tears Of A Clown as his favorite solos of his own.

It seems there's a new interview with Adrian for Guitar World, in which he discusses Powerslave because of the album's anniv. Idk if we can find the whole thing?

In this short excerpt, he said that his solo on the title track of the album is one of his favorites and that the album was recorded with his Lado guitar.
The song joins Wicker Man and Tears Of A Clown as his favorite solos of his own.

They are probably old quotes. The recent Classic Rock article devoted to Powerslave is a rehash of old interviews; the link you posted could well contain the exact same quote about Adrian having a massive hangover and recording the solo with Robert Palmer present.

That being said, they might have pulled all stops and interviewed Adrian to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Powerslave. That could suggest a release of some kind coming up.

Last edited:
“I remember doing the solo for Powerslave. I was extremely hungover. We were a bunch of young guys and we’d go out at night and party very hard. We were out until three in the morning and I went home thinking ‘We’re not working tomorrow, we’ve gone too hard.’
“But at 10 in the morning Martin – who partied harder than any of us – called me into the studio and he was sitting there with Robert Palmer, the Addicted To Love guy. He had me sit at the desk and do the solo. I was really in pain but I pulled it off. Funnily, it’s my favourite.”

Last edited:
Back