Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

It’s implied. From the way Nicko & Steve are talking. From the way Nicko describes what happened. Like there’s no input from him. At all.

Another one more subjective: Bruce unwillingness to talk seems to me like he’s saving face for the fact he doesn’t have any serious say.

Maybe he has just a tiny bit. Bruce’s behavior indicates someone that wants to show that has a big say, not someone that he does. Why to accept singing Aces High if he can’t sing then? Doesn’t add up.
And besides, they are a 6-men band, I’d like to see more collective decisions.
You all should watch the video and hear what Nicko said in context instead of reading it third hand thru google translate.

Steve is telling Nicko not to play ATG with Titanium Tart because Maiden hasn't played it yet. Nowhere in the story does Nicko imply Maiden setlist decisions are totally up to Steve.

Starts around 18:00:

It’s implied. From the way Nicko & Steve are talking. From the way Nicko describes what happened. Like there’s no input from him. At all.

I don't think they are talking about Maiden's set here, he's talking about whether his covers band can play Alex before Maiden do, of course Steve would put the boot down on that. It's also clear that what Steve means by the "unwritten rule" is that, on top of Nickos band, neither British Lion, Smith / Kotzen or Bruce will play a song that Maiden have never played, until Maiden play it first.

I don't think they are talking about Maiden's set here, he's talking about whether his covers band can play Alex before Maiden do, of course Steve would put the boot down on that. It's also clear that what Steve means by the "unwritten rule" is that, on top of Nickos band, neither British Lion, Smith / Kotzen or Bruce will play a song that Maiden have never played, until Maiden play it first.
It's also worth pointing out that this unwritten rule was instantly contradicted in that very same show since Titanium Tart played TWOTW. Which Maiden obviously hadn't done yet since it was well before the '22 leg of LOTB.

The Untouchables broke that rule by playing Back in the Village in the early 90s… ;)

You all should watch the video and hear what Nicko said in context instead of reading it third hand thru google translate.

Steve is telling Nicko not to play ATG with Titanium Tart because Maiden hasn't played it yet. Nowhere in the story does Nicko imply Maiden setlist decisions are totally up to Steve.

Starts around 18:00:

Quite interesting.
When I see the video, the impression of Steve deciding setlists, is almost gone.
When I process it word by word or reading the text, it’s there.

Another one more subjective: Bruce unwillingness to talk seems to me like he’s saving face for the fact he doesn’t have any serious say.
I wonder if Bruce really wants to do ATG live... Nicko said half the band are ready to play it, I guess himself, Dave and Janick. Yeah, he promises every time, but I don't think he's such a big fan of the song - idk, from his book tour shows it seems so to me. I'm sure he'll be happy to do it live though. And we know Adrain has no ''problem'' with his solo (the instrumental melodic part is for Janick), so the only thing left is does Steve wants to do it live? - probably or maybe not so much, but it's one of his big 80's epics and they (sort of) have to, after all these years.
Why to accept singing Aces High if he can’t sing then?
That's not true.

Bruce decides them post cancer. Steve thinks it's only fair that Bruce decides what he can and can't sing after cancer.

I trust your insights.
In your opinion, they are sitting together to decide from scratch, or Steve just gives him a potential setlist he composed and Bruce approves some songs and disapprove others?
There's a difference. If it was the first, Bruce would be more certain what will be played or not*.

*Having said that he seemed quite firm :D on 16 July 2022

0:46 We're gonna fucking do it one day, you wait.

It is gone.

Bruce decides them post cancer. Steve thinks it's only fair that Bruce decides what he can and can't sing after cancer.

Bruce also came up with most of the SBIT tour setlist, with some additional suggestions by Steve (decisions made in Rome back in 2007). At least that is what Bruce said some time ago in his radio show when a listener asked how the setlists were decided.

I trust your insights.
In your opinion, they are sitting together to decide from scratch, or Steve just gives him a potential setlist he composed and Bruce approves some songs and disapprove others?
There's a difference. If it was the first, Bruce would be more certain what will be played or not*.

I think @GhostofCain may have more insight into what happens on recent tours, I think LOTB was all Bruce and Rod with Steve not involved.

The cancer stuff, someone posted a quote from Steve quite recently about it which was the first I had heard about why Steve was taking a backseat on picking the recent tours. It was probably on here where I saw it but may have been the official site.

I think TBOS was entirely Bruce, but he did take suggestions which is why we got Tears in 2016 (which Nicko really wanted to do) rather than TGU which was what they initially planned to play. Same thing with WED in 2018 - Nicko wanted to play it so Bruce added it as the second song, creating that weird sort of double-opener to the set which worked really well in the end. On TBOS I think HCW as the closer was ruled out by the crew which is how we got Wasted Years instead (and thank God for that) so crew opinion does sometimes matter too if a song requires extra work for them.

Back