Iron Maiden: In the Studio book coming out

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
Never heard of the author, but looks it may be interesting.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=154192

This May, U.K.-based John Blake Publishing will release "Iron Maiden: In The Studio" by music biographer Jake Brown (MOTÖRHEAD, HEART, Rick Rubin, Tracii Guns). Spanning the band's entire 30-year catalog, the writing and recording of such classic albums as "The Number of the Beast", "Piece of Mind", "Brave New World" and "The Final Frontier", and hits as "2 Minutes to Midnight", "Wasted Years", "Can I Play With Madness?", "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter", "The Wicker Man", "The Trooper", "Run To The Hills", "Powerslave" and "Hallowed Be Thy Name", among countless others, is chronicled.

The book is currently available for pre-order at Amazon.com.

I heard of this I think. I think Rush is doing one too. Can't remember.

This one is a must.  I hope it dares ask critical questions about certain decisions such as the chorus of The Angel And The Gambler, the four VXI-songs used on BNW without giving Blaze credit for one of them he co-wrote etc.
Could be a very interesting read if the author hasn't been afraid to step on Steve's toes.

VERY nice. Great for any Maiden fan, but if they include a little studio tech as well, even more interesting for anyone who knows about recording!

I can't wait for it personally.  I have both the unofficial and official biographies, as well as Bruce's biography, and out of all the books, the one thing I find lacking is the "true behind the scenes" of the best albums.  I'm looking forward to it!

Re: In the Studio book coming out / Either a crap book, either crap marketing

I still have no clue if this guy spoke to Maiden band members or not.
If he has done that, I am sure he would sell more books by saying this (in advance).

We'll see if it's a must or not.

Either this is a crap book, either it is crap marketing.

I'm thinking it's gonna be a paper version of the Commentary, with possibly a lot of material taken from there. Had it been an official thing (or at least containing interviews with band members or Kevin Shirley), it would have surely been promoted on the official site.

I just read some reviews of his other books (Rick Rubin, Heart, Jane's Addiction) and they all basically say that he contributed no (or very few) original interviews, but rather just compilied a lot a pre-existing interviews. So anyone looking for new info or "behind the scenes" stories is likely to be disappointed as most of us here could probably write that sort of book from memory. On the plus side, the reviewers did mention that he gives a lot of technical detail about the set-up in the studio. Also he's doing one on Tom Waits.

One of the best "behind the scenes" interviews re: studio stuff was actually a guitar tab/sheet music book that came out in the 80s that covered the first 4 albums.  Steve had an interview section in it and actually commented in detail on almost of those tracks (e.g. who wrote what part etc...).  It was pretty interesting as it went beyond the usual fluff interview questions.  Does anyone recall what I'm talking about?

My issue with the Mick Wall Run to the Hillsl book is that he spent nearly 300 pages focusing on the "rough and tumble" east end beginnings and then glossed over the band's commerical zenith period (Powerslave/SIT/SSOASS).  I was secretly hoping this book might fill the gap but I have a feeling that it won't.  Plus, it would be great to have a song by song break down (as mentioned above) with insider info on each one.

It's 10 bucks. Seems like a good deal if it's that detailed. I may even buy it.

Will cost me 23 bucks to get it here, but for a book it's still cheap. If Jad confirms it's this book, I may get it.

Jed said:
One of the best "behind the scenes" interviews re: studio stuff was actually a guitar tab/sheet music book that came out in the 80s that covered the first 4 albums. 

The best thing about this book is Steve's interview. The tabs are 99% crap, the 1% nice is the chords naming, which helps if you want to develop your ears.

Meh, I already know how to play everything from these albums, I'm only interested in the interview.

Wait, those qoutes are the interview from the book?
Oh, cool. Saved me some cash. Thanks.

If the tabs are crap I don't think I want it anymore. Someone should put out a new Iron Maiden music book for one of those classic albums.

Back