Iron Maiden - EN VIVO - Live from Estadio Nacional, Santiago!!

I wasn't speaking about any particular Maiden solo or even any specific piece of music - I was merely answering the general question "what's the point of doubling parts". (I probably should have made that clear in the first place.)

I wasn't speaking about any particular Maiden solo or even any specific piece of music - I was merely answering the general question "what's the point of doubling parts". (I probably should have made that clear in the first place.)

If that's in response to my comment, then sorry about that. I didn't mean to come across as as much of an a**hole as I did.

You make a valid point.

What I was attempting to say was along the lines of Maiden experimenting live, trying something different to the songs they've been playing for 25 years +. Letting them double up but in their own styles.

I agree with both of you. Yes, they starting doing it for the reasons suggested, I'm sure. And, yes SinisterMinisterX, loads of layers/parts can add depth; totally understand your general point, that you had made earlier. (And, this is basically what they do with The Evil That Men Do solos discussed.) I just don't think, in the case of The Trooper, that this is what is primarily happening; too much deliberate variation. Either way, it's cool as fuck.

Just watched the DVD again and When The Wild Wind Blows really is the modern equivalent of Rime Of The Ancient Mariner...Maiden at its most epic! DoD, Wicker Man, Blood Brothers, FoTD and The Evil That Men Do are performed better on En Vivo than on earlier live releases.

I disagree immensely on The Evil. In the intro Jan's timing is bad (bah, it annoys me every time I hear it; it feels he did that on purpose).
That's not all. Even if Bruce's voice was not as good as now, and even if Adrian was not present at the time:
the version of A Real Live One kills any other. Some of Nicko's best live drumming ever. Those bass drums, so tight and fast.

I also prefer Fear of the Dark from that release. Never got better after that.

Foro I just knew the non-reunion songs in my list would spark opposing views!

Janick certainly does bend a note too long during the intro to TETMD on En Vivo...I've never found Janick's guitar tone during TETMD to be metal enough nor does he emphasise each note as well as Adrian did on the original. (Just a Adrian probably wouldn't play the DoD intro the way Janick wrote it). I really wish Kevin Shirley placed Adrian on the right speaker for TETMD just as he did for El Dorado, WTWWB and Hallowed be thy Name as the left and right guitars seem to dominate in the mix...

...but Bruce pulls off a magnificent version as does Adrian and the Janick/H tandem solo works.

I saw Maiden live on the Fear of the Dark tour and came away thinking exactly the same about the guitar sound during TETMD...not metal or precise enough. And as Adrian wrote the song (music) it was weird witnessing it played without him...but i will definitely give the A Real Live One version another listen.

Alright. :) I love the energy and the rawness of it. And the speed, of both TETMD and FOTD. Later the band stated they played some songs so fast that it became ridiculous. That's easy talking, in hindsight. I never thought it sounded ridiculous ('Arry and Nicko always wanted to play Flight of Icarus way faster for example) and to me it rather sounds like an excuses (perhaps they are not able to play some songs so fast anymore as they could).

But I do find this 2 Minutes to Midnight the greatest live version I ever heard. Fantastic, I don't think I ever enjoyed this song as much as on this DVD (and CD). El Dorado is awesome as well.

I agree with you there about 2 Minutes to Midnight! I have to confess I usually skip it on LaD but I find this version a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

On the matter of timing, it's a pity any time they play Wasted Years (it's been better recently), they trash (perhaps a little too strong a word for it) it by playing it too fast; & too jumpy, for want of a better word. It's the only song in most released live versions I listen to & think --the timing of this is awful. Without Adrian, they just played it too fast. And with him, he's always slowing it down when he returns to the opening riff. It's like he's saying to them: too fast! Can't think of any other song where this is more glaring. Of course there are all the other tracks they just don't bother playing, apparently, for timing reasons.

There's at least one live clip of Steve coming in at the wrong time for wasted years intro, which is probably as you say.. they aren't used to playing the slower speed.

Alright. :) I love the energy and the rawness of it. And the speed, of both TETMD and FOTD. Later the band stated they played some songs so fast that it became ridiculous. That's easy talking, in hindsight. I never thought it sounded ridiculous ('Arry and Nicko always wanted to play Flight of Icarus way faster for example) and to me it rather sounds like an excuses (perhaps they are not able to play some songs so fast anymore as they could)

I too love the way that TETMD sounds on A Real Live One, it has a very thick sound and I love the sound of Nicko´s kit on this song, just listen to that kick drum pummeling! They definitely sounded differently on recordings back in the 90s compared to the recent live releases. I guess some of the reasons are down to recording equipment and the instruments and gear used?

i'm quite pleased with the production of En Vivo, put all the standard encores aside, all guitars has given justice in this release .. i'm not talking about guitar solos (that almost non issue for me now, not 11 years ago during RiR as for me, H wuz mercilessly discriminated in both guitar solos and background, visual and audio-wise) but whenever each guitar do the riffing, they're "still there" e.g Janick during TFF the song, H in FOTD or Dave in Wickerman .. another thing, missed this forum for soooo long .. Foro eh?

p/s: Please forgive me for my horrible english

thanx foro .. there's a hidden treasure imho that means a lot to me in En Vivo .. its on FOTD's chorus .. H's did the powerchord in different approach to the originals .. and his guitar isn't buried in mix! this is what i'm waiting for a long long time, not just him but the other guitars as well .. since there are 3 guitars in maiden, i'm not asking for a exactly fair distribution of guitar solos each but just to watch or hear them still there doing their own thing as less-important guitar for any particular song BUT still audible! the nightmare i had on RiR can't easily be thrown as he just have 4 - 5 guitar solos throughout the concert, and not only that! .. his guitars is almost buried in mix in the other song he wasn't soloing

Agreed! Adrian certainly shines out more, but I think he also does more new things. All those little things (e.g. at the end of Hallowed) are pretty cool and unexpected.

Back