Iron Maiden - EN VIVO - Live from Estadio Nacional, Santiago!!

Haven't seen the DVD --is this another one of these special guitar changes? (--otherwise known as poor editing.)

Ranko, noticed that 1982 Brucie moment too. You believe wrong Brucie! (--unless he heard it a few years before we did!)

Me too. Perhaps due to NOTB indoctrination. ;)

What I like about the documentary is that it also shows some serious moments.
E.g. Bruce warning that the opening track should not be played too fast, the annoyed cargo guy who wants the security guys to open the damned door, Steve voicing his opinion on the Wicker Man Eddie (ik should be darker etc.). The warning that everybody should keep their eyes on the gear.

I like those real, representative moments. Makes it more realistic.

I wasn't all that excited about this release; I pre-ordered it when that was announced and then forgot about it until it arrived in the post on Monday. I wasn't expecting the video of the show to be all that great, but it's nice to say that I was very pleasantly suprised when watching it. The split screen didn't bother me at all, like I thought it would. One aspect that I particularly enjoyed was being able to see the guitarist for the majority of his solo each time, which often isn't the case.
It's a great show, brings back some great memories of the tour. As said above, who would've thought When the Wild Wind Blows would work so well on stage? Dance of Death: an absolute highlight.

Yet to see the documentary, but looking forward to it.

I watched the documentary with a friend and our girlfriends who aren't Maiden or metal fans (although they have attended some Maiden and Dream Theater shows after getting involved with the likes of us :D), and they loved it as well; we all were actually amazed not so much at the band, but at the support and production people, and the Killer Crew above all. I mean, these guys have to assemble the stage and get everything ready, so they start working around 2 PM, then have a breather during the show, and again disassemble and pack away the stage, they probably aren't done by 2 or 3 AM. Any sleep they get is on the bus (okay, airplane) between two shows. I don't even want to imagine how it must be when there are a few shows back-to-back in different cities. I hope they get paid well for what they do.

The wife and I watched this the other night, and I was gobsmacked by how good this is. The EASILY beats both LAD and RIR. The sheer energy is palpable, and the production is amazing. I've never heard Steve's bass so prominent in the mix, and it is VERY intense.

I'm watching the concert right now - at a certain point during the intro to The Talisman, Steve can be seen singing the lines "We run from evil tongues, rash judgment, selfish men / never to be seen", but he is practically inaudible. I guess Shirley didn't want to repeat the mistake of letting Steve be heard like in the DotR version of Paschendale. :D

Oh, and I never took notice of who played which solo in DoD, but only now I noticed that it's Adrian who plays that kick-ass first solo. Magnificent!

And check out Bruce at the very end of DoD, running like hell off the stage to get in his Trooper costume. :D (Btw, who picked up the Chilean flag, it isn't on the floor anymore by the time they start playing The Trooper?)

Oh, and I never took notice of who played which solo in DoD, but only now I noticed that it's Adrian who plays that kick-ass first solo. Magnificent!

Same thing happened to me, except, for the first time ever, I realized I liked a Dave solo more than an Adrian one.

rhino-mating.jpg

:yey:

Watching it now for the 9th time , I may have said this for the other Maiden live DVD's ( :) Don't think so, though!) but I do believe this is the best since LAD! The sound mix, the split screen, the crowd and the stage production ...everything ! Did anyone else notice the guitar lines in "The Talisman" during the "Westward the tide..." part? it sounds so... unabashedly metal !! It gives me the perception of aggressive "swagger" that I expect from a young hungry band for some reason..and when I watch this part of Talisman in particular and realize that it's a song from the 15th album and these guys are killing it in front of 50k + rabid fans in 2012 I get goosebumps and a tear in my eye!! (Did I mention I'm a bit of a fan?) UTI!

Okay, I know there is a certain amount of novelty associated with a new release like this that will certainly wear off at some stage, but this I think is my favourite Maiden live album. My only complaint is (as others said ealier) that the second half of the concert has a pretty standard tracklist with only a couple of exceptions.

I already heard on the CD that Shirley (or someone else) removed Steve's backing line in The Talisman.
Dumb decision. I thought it was one of the cooler moments in the song.

Watching it now for the 9th time , I may have said this for the other Maiden live DVD's ( :) Don't think so, though!) but I do believe this is the best since LAD! The sound mix, the split screen, the crowd and the stage production ...everything ! Did anyone else notice the guitar lines in "The Talisman" during the "Westward the tide..." part? it sounds so... unabashedly metal !! It gives me the perception of aggressive "swagger" that I expect from a young hungry band for some reason..and when I watch this part of Talisman in particular and realize that it's a song from the 15th album and these guys are killing it in front of 50k + rabid fans in 2012 I get goosebumps and a tear in my eye!! (Did I mention I'm a bit of a fan?) UTI!

What I DID notice during the same moment you mention, is that during The Talisman's chorus, Bruce is hitting THE SAME NOTE that the lead guitar is playing. It made it ALMOST hard to make out the guitar itself. Also, not sure if this has always been the case, but I noticed that on The Trooper, the solo half-way thru the song is being played by two guitarists. As in....2 people are playing, note for note, the same damn solo, simultaneously! How much talent does this band have?

They've been (Janick & H, that is) doing that for quite a while chaosapient --just like on The Evil That Men Do. Listen to RiR, they do it on both tracks there too. In Evil the leads are pretty identical, but in The Trooper they tend to do a bit of harmonising on the bends. Just goes to show that Janick is perfectly capable of playing H's lead work, but chooses (mostly) not to.

They've been (Janick & H, that is) doing that for quite a while chaosapient --just like on The Evil That Men Do. Listen to RiR, they do it on both tracks there too. In Evil the leads are pretty identical, but in The Trooper they tend to do a bit of harmonising on the bends. Just goes to show that Janick is perfectly capable of playing H's lead work, but chooses (mostly) not to.

Damn...mind=blown. I never noticed it before. I did assume it was Janick and Dave, but not that they did it that often. Is this as mindbendingly difficult to pull off as I think it is, or am I just easy to please because I dont' play guitar? Seems like solos, even note for note, live, would still have slight alterations to timing where two guitarists would fall out of sync. The fact that I never even noticed it before means that they must not fall out of sync often, if ever. That blows me away!

The leads in question aren't mind blowingly difficult, but they make the real difficult part (that's the timing, not the playing itself) look a piece of piss. I'd imagine it isn't enourmously difficult, with practise --these two guys are amazing guitarists; but, on the other hand, I don't many other bands doing it live.

Maiden just kick ass & that's all there is to it! :D

@chaosapiant - actually, they're very much out of sync during the shared solo in The Trooper; they pulled off TETMD much better (but nowhere near perfect).

Back