Iron Maiden confirmed on the "Download TV Festival" - June 12-14

I'm gonna go exploring summer of 1993 bootlegs now, 'cause Bruce is being such a wanker...listen to him sing Fear of the Dark and Hallowed like it's a Christmas carol. While cameras were around, like in Milan, he did great, and in case it was a commercial event like May Day in Rome, he'd pull best-ever performance such as the Trooper; listen to that phrasing and the clarity of vocals. I get why Harris and McBrain were so pissed at the time.

Fear of the Dark from the Italian Horror is a bit like biting into a chocolate bar and getting the taste of steak-not what I was expecting, weird, but I am ok with it.

There is definitely gigs like that, Turin is the worst, if we give him the benefit of the doubt for that gig because some cunt spat at him, but that one definitely counts as mumbling through the gig, if I remember correctly he couldn't be bother singing some verses at all in one or two of the songs.

EDIT: I have 3 audio boots from that tour, Turin as I mentioned above, Dublin which is a good performance and Milan which I can't remember what it was like, and Arnhem, Bremen and Milan video boots which I have no recollection of. My memories is that there was definitely more performances than Turin that were poor, but I can't be bothered checking to verify, unless someone really wants me to :lol:

I have a bootleg of the Bremen gig and I remember it being a very good gig, with better performances than some of those selected for A Real Live One and A Real Dead One. It has been a while since I played that recording, so I might be mistaken.

The Turin show is absolutely dreadful. Bruce was clearly not interested in the bodily fluids from that fan... :lol:

Joking aside, even considering that being spat on is incredibly rude and disrespectful, his attitude during the rest of the gig was absolutely disgraceful and unprofessional.

Last edited:
That Turin gig is a perfect example of "how to ruin a gig for an audience - that has paid good money to see you - acting like a cunt"!

Disgraceful. :mad:

Joking aside, even considering that being spat on is incredibly rude and disrespectful, his attitude during the rest of the gig was absolutely disgraceful and unprofessional.

I was only thinking after posting yesterday that they really should have ditched that tour altogether, it must have been so awkward for all parties, and I imagine that they would have if they didn't need the tracks for ARDO.

I'm glad they didn't as I was at the Dublin gig I mentioned above, seeing Maiden for the first time, and luckily it was one of the good nights, probably helped by it being the 3rd last show of the tour.

I was only thinking after posting yesterday that they really should have ditched that tour altogether, it must have been so awkward for all parties, and I imagine that they would have if they didn't need the tracks for ARDO.

I'm glad they didn't as I was at the Dublin gig I mentioned above, seeing Maiden for the first time, and luckily it was one of the good nights, probably helped by it being the 3rd last show of the tour.
I don't think the album was the issue.They wouldn't want to be financially liable towards the promotors as I guess they would have been.

Think I heard some material from these shows and tour many years ago, but I didn't remember exactly how it went.
Now listening and thinking this out loud, my goodness FOTD that's definitely the worst live-version ever. Of course, the happening and commitment and such, but this is disgrace how to do show to the people that paid money to see you. I bet that even Johnny Rotten could have handled it better.

I haven't seen this interview before

but I can't work through German dub. There is also some extra 1993 live footage

...in Rome, he'd pull best-ever performance such as the Trooper; listen to that phrasing and the clarity of vocals.

Yep. Fantastic performance by Bruce - so is his performance on FOTD during the same show.

Reactions: Yax
At least, it was original to hear him modulate the vocal lines (it is sure better than the treatment given to the chorus of "No More Lies" live).
The "Have you ever been alone at night..." verse actually sounds interesting. I'd rather like to hear the whole song in that key.

he'd pull best-ever performance such as the Trooper; listen to that phrasing and the clarity of vocals.

To be honest, I think this might be due to him taking it easy on the physical movement side of the gig, rather than anything more self indulgent.

I always think his live in rehersal room or non-gig performances completely outshine his normal gig live performances, RTTH from Maida Vale is phenominal.

Not that I want him to tone down the onstage frontman personna, it's a trade off worth making.

Ok, great to see this discussed. Even though I've got some shows from this '93-era on my collections, I think I haven't much at all been listening to them.
I have in some sense even forgot to look what I have here and maybe just have to somehow get some proper time to fully explore all the stuff.
And yes, luckily as it seems that Bruce did perform better and normally on the other dates, so these few cases that are the worst are definitely only the minority of few unprofessional performances in whole career of Bruce.
What are your views of the shows from 1993 or perhaps 1992, what are the best performances or recordings out there? Feel free to recommend me some and I might have to check if Im missing anything precious. Thanks.

To be honest, I think this might be due to him taking it easy on the physical movement side of the gig, rather than anything more self indulgent.

I always think his live in rehersal room or non-gig performances completely outshine his normal gig live performances, RTTH from Maida Vale is phenominal.

Not that I want him to tone down the onstage frontman personna, it's a trade off worth making.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Here's one example of a performance of Run to the Hills at the London Guitar Show some years ago that falls under that category of not much movement and phenomenal singing:

Back