IRON MAIDEN ALBUM RANKING: TOP THREE REVEALED

It's a good album, but it hasn't quite stood the test of time. If Eternity and TBOS are brilliant songs though. When the River Runs Deep and The Man of Sorrows are weak though, the former being one of the worst songs since the 90s. I also have some issues with the production and in particular Dave's sound.

For me the weakest of the reunion era. I even rank the fillerfilled Dance Of Death abit higher go figure. But DOD just has higher highs.

I bring this up because I feel it extends to the quality spread found on the two albums as well. Obviously Powerslave has a funny reputation where four songs (not coincidentally the four that appear on LAD) hold legendary status among the fans, and the rest of the songs tend to get overlooked. The “Fillerslave” term is unfair, but it does feel like something like Two Minutes to Midnight is on a different stratosphere than something like The Duelists. On The Book Of Souls, a similar dynamic exists, but here there actually does seem to be quite a lot of filler.

I strongly believe that this album ranks as high as it does partially because of a couple tracks that genuinely are worthy of a Maiden top 25. The title track and If Eternity Should Fail are each mammoth tracks. Empire of the Clouds has shown to be a bit divisive as time goes by, but the novelty of the song does bring an element to the album that sets it apart. After that, however, I think the album really loses steam. I really have a hard time putting something like When the River Runs Deep up against most of the similar shorter tracks in the discography. The Red and the Black, while I enjoy it more than most, is not anywhere near the caliber of When the Wild Wind Blows or Sign of the Cross, to name just post 80s Harris epics.

Being the first Maiden double album, a bit of filler is to be expected. Weirdly though the album structure is pretty much the same as the last few albums. It’s just that certain songs were long enough to put it over the 80 minute mark. It’s not a Fear of the Dark situation where the band intentionally wrote way more music than necessary. This feels like a natural progression in terms of length and song structure (each album had been incrementally longer than the last for awhile). I think the album misses the heavier Harris influence (more Smith/Harris or Smith/Harris/Dickinson) and while it’s cool to see Bruce and Adrian going for the classic 80s style high energy songs with infectious hooks, they’re a little rusty especially when you compare them to what they contributed to Senjutsu or what they came up with for Accident or Birth.

It’s certainly not a bad album, and placement is almost right, but I would argue it’s a couple spots too high and that The Final Frontier is a vastly superior album. Aside from a couple top tier mentioned earlier, a lot lot of this album is pretty middle of the road for reunion era standards. I actually think you can already see the fanbase cooling on it and I wouldn’t be surprised if it places even lower next time we do one of these games.
Very good ranking for TBOS, especially considering the rest of the albums. For me, TBOS is one of the band's stronger/best albums as a whole piece (I think being a double album helped for that) and it's better than TFF. A modern new height for the band. Like the next album.

It's difficult for me to find fillers, the album is full of interesting ideas within the songs. Every song brings something to the album. I agree about the natural progression and the structure of the album. The comparison with Powerslave is a bit unfair because of the number, length and type of songs.

I would have liked another song or two more from the Smith/Dickinson/Harris combo, but I'm so glad Bruce and Adrian started to write together again. Their songs here are great and carry the classic Maiden vibe that was more or less a ''role'' for Janick on the previous 2 albums. More Steve solo songs (or with Janick) would have made the album even better.

Another feature I like a lot is the fact that this album have longer instrumental sections and more solos in the long songs (something I missed in the previous 2 albums).

The solos on the album are some of the band's best imo. This should be noted. They are always strong, but this was a massive statement from them.

I find the old-school vibe of the production very fitting for the album and I like it. The album has a nice ''tribal sound'' (especially the drums), although a bit muddy.

As for the songs:

Every Maiden epic (and especially since the Reunion) is awesome on its own, but TBOS has 3 masterpieces - the title track (it can rival any 80's epic), Empire (Bruce really outdid himself, it's not just the novelty) and The Red And The Black (which is a textbook example of a Maiden instrumental section).

If Eternity Should Fail is one of the band's best album openers with its classic Maiden feel and the modern and heavier sound of Bruce's solo albums. I'm still curious why they didn't include solos on it.
The two short songs, Speed Of Light and Death Or Glory are great and as I said bring the needed classic Maiden vibe from the 80's on any album. Dual solos and triple-lead harmonies, what's not to like!
The other short song, Tears Of A Clown is a bit of atypical song for the band with its groove and that makes it a unique piece in the album.
The ''different shorter rocker'' that has 3 solos and brilliant ideas, When The River Runs Deep is a very underrated song. It contains some of the best solos on the album. The energy, the riffs, the drumming, all great. The only gripe is that the chorus is slow for such a fast song, although it's a good one, as we can expect from the band.
Great Unknown is a typical Reunion era song with an awesome vibe, heavy and relentless riffs, soaring vocals, great melodies and solos and an unexpected ending. I mean, it has everything.
Shadows Of The Valley is like the above song and it's underrated imo. The song somehow has a mix of a modern and classic sound. The melodic riffs and (vocal) parts are so good. The chorus is stronger than some of the other mid-tempo choruses of the band. Maybe some fans don't like it because of the repetition of the chorus. I think 5-7 minutes is a standard song on a Maiden album.
The Man Of Sorrows is the ballad of the album, this type of song is always unpredictable for Maiden, but the bonus here is that this one has beautiful melodies and a unique bluesy outro.

Speed of Light, Death or Glory, and hell, even Tears of a Clown, managed to bring back the fire to the shorter songs (something that is still lacking on the reunion albums).
What about songs like Days Of Future Past, Stratego, River, Alchemist, Pilgrim, Different World, Wildest Dreams, Rainmaker, New Frontier, Montségur, The Wicker Man, Mercenary?
I think TBOS is a masterpiece and it ranks in my top 5 currently.
... but other than that the album is flawless.
I'm so happy to hear that.
I also have some issues with the production and in particular Dave's sound.
Dave's sound is a bit different on the album, but I think it's quite good. The whole guitars sound. Only his solo in Death Or Glory sounds strange, like it's very low in the mix. He used his Les Paul right?

Maiden's best album for me. A big part of that is probably that the tour for this was the first concert (Maiden or otherwise) that I ever attended, so there's nostalgia there, but I still think it holds up today. It also sounds so much better than the previous two albums - Bruce in particular sounds powerful.

If Eternity Should Fail is very close to being a top tier Maiden song, only stumbling at the very end due to the extended Necropolis outro. This should have been cut out, in my opinion, when it was taken from Bruce's solo album.

Speed of Light is a perfectly serviceable song which works better within the context of the album as a jolt of energy after the outro of the previous song. I rarely listen to it in isolation, but I enjoy it here.

The Great Unknown is another song that's almost top shelf but doesn't stick the landing. It's a gloriously heavy song that should've repeated the chorus a third time and wrapped up quickly instead of the slow burnout we were given.

The Red and the Black is a strange, disjointed song that tries to indulge every single trope about Steve Harris' songwriting, yet somehow doesn't overstay its welcome.

When The River Runs Deep is a great song! It's catchy, upbeat, and stands out from the other songs due to the change of pace in the chorus. Underrated, and sits in its spot on the album really nicely.

The Book Of Souls is a top 10 song from the band. The album is worth the price of admission for this alone. Utterly phenomenal the whole way through.

Death or Glory is good, catchy fun. I genuinely believe it's one of the stronger "short" songs the band have done in a while, and I think that the crowd interactions during the related tour were hilarious too.

Shadows of the Valley is the single most underrated track in the bands entire catalogue. It takes the chorus of The Fallen Angel (which was already fantastic) and asks "what if we made it the verse and added an even catchier chorus?". It then adds on the amazing mid-solo bridge for good measure. This is one of my favourite moments the band has ever done, and it's a crying shame this was never played live.

I feel very lucky to have seen the leg of the tour where the band played Tears of a Clown, because it's another absolutely top tier song. Wonderful throughout with one of the bands better solos.

The Man of Sorrows is my least favourite song on the album. I don't dislike it; I just don't really get Dave's more experimental songs.

Empire of the Clouds is a special song. No matter how many times I listen to it, it never feels like it's 18 minutes long. When I went through the bands entire discography I chose it as my favourite. I don't know if I'd still go with that - we've had a new album since - but it's still absolutely in contention.

It also sounds so much better than the previous two albums - Bruce in particular sounds powerful.
Bruce sounds really powerful in AMOLAD too.
This should have been cut out, in my opinion, when it was taken from Bruce's solo album.
I thought so too, but it's a mystical feature that fits the album. I just don't like such voice effects. With only the acoustic guitar it would have been too similar to The Prophecy outro, I guess.
The Red and the Black is a strange, disjointed song that tries to indulge every single trope about Steve Harris' songwriting, yet somehow doesn't overstay its welcome.
I think Red And The Black is far from being disjointed. Steve magic as usual.
It's a gloriously heavy song that should've repeated the chorus a third time and wrapped up quickly instead of the slow burnout we were given.
The outro is very long, yes, but I like it. Probably because of the vibe.
The Man of Sorrows is my least favourite song on the album. I don't dislike it; I just don't really get Dave's more experimental songs.
Dave should make classic sounding songs for the band, but this song is his pure style.
When The River Runs Deep is a great song! It's catchy, upbeat, and stands out from the other songs due to the change of pace in the chorus. Underrated, and sits in its spot on the album really nicely.

Shadows of the Valley is the single most underrated track in the bands entire catalogue. It takes the chorus of The Fallen Angel (which was already fantastic) and asks "what if we made it the verse and added an even catchier chorus?". It then adds on the amazing mid-solo bridge for good measure. This is one of my favourite moments the band has ever done, and it's a crying shame this was never played live.
This. Especially about Valley. Thank you.

Bruce sounds really powerful in AMOLAD too.
Bruce sounds good in parts of AMOLAD but in other parts (BTATS, Pilgrim) you can hear the strain beginning to set in which carried on into TFF. In TBOS it felt like he changed his singing style in places to accommodate this and I really like the end result. The Man of Sorrows is one of the premier examples of it.
I thought so too, but it's a mystical feature that fits the album. I just don't like such voice effects. With only the acoustic guitar it would have been too similar to The Prophecy outro, I guess.
It's part of a storyline for a solo album. It doesn't work for me outside of the solo album, and they didn't need the acoustic guitar either. I love reunion Maiden, but they do need to remember how to simply finish a song instead of noodling about with yet another slow outro.
I think Red And The Black is far from being disjointed. Steve magic as usual.
It's Steve indulging all of Steve's habits, for better or worse. It's more like an extended jam session than a coherent song. I enjoy it a lot (even more so live) but it is what it is.
Dave should make classic sounding songs for the band, but this song is his pure style.
I agree with you, it's just that the style doesn't gel with me particularly. I'd much rather see him turn his hand back to short songs, like Rainmaker or Judas Be My Guide.

• Empire and the title track are up there with the best songs the band has ever recorded.
  • Eternity and Unknown are powerhouse modern Maiden tunes.
  • Speed of Light, Death or Glory, and hell, even Tears of a Clown, managed to bring back the fire to the shorter songs (something that is still lacking on the reunion albums).
Swap Eternity and Empire and I pretty much agree with all of this and the tiers. Where I differ the most - and from where my lower ranking of the album really stems, is that I don’t really feel like the shorter songs brought that fire. There are hints of it for sure and I don’t dislike the songs, but I find a lot more ferocity in El Dorado or Days of Future Past than anything on Book of Souls. Speed of Light comes very very close, but that’s just one song.

I agree that hype around the album and the touring cycle was insane. The two shows I caught in 2016 are in a three way tie with Legacy of the Beast Vegas 2019 for the best Maiden show I’ve been to. You can tell they really believed in the material.

TBOS is a very consistent album, IMO. Everything on the record is at least good, and about half the tracks are great or excellent. Nothing hits it completely out of the park for me, but the album comes close a few times.

I had it a little higher in my personal ranking (#7) because its longest tracks are often its best tracks, and they make up the bulk of the running time; but any finish at or a little above the middle of the discography seems fair.

To me TBOS is what TFF seems to be for this forum - a magnificent record at first, I really couldn't get enough of it, but over time my feelings dwindled down to "lukewarm" at best, although nostalgia and some of the highs made me put it on the seventh spot in my Maiden rankings I've sent to Mosh.

I guess my problems with the album lie mainly with the second disc, as Death or Glory is a completely pedestrian, unimaginative Maiden rocker (that steals its title from the superior Clash song as well), The Man of Sorrows is just an underbaked mess, more so than Dave's offering on TFF, it just lacks any kind of semblance of coherence or craft. Tears of a Clown is honestly a bit too self-important and topical, the music's more or less fine, but nothing I'd write home about and Empire... well, flipping my opinion on Empire was probably the moment when I stopped loving the album, especially since it takes so much of the runtime.
If I called ToaC too self-important, Empire is actually bloated, overwrought and completely loses me - for a track that was supposed to be my absolute favourite on the album - and even by Maiden in general. I mean, I'm the prog bloke, the opera bloke, the power metal bloke. This should have been great. But the piano is a good tell, actually - it is pedestrian and repetitive and the song follows suit. Also, the intended emotionality completely misses me. I like airships, I like tragedies, but leave it to Bruce to make something that completely misses the mark on that with me.

The only song on the second CD I genuinely like is Shadows of the Valley (Gers rarely disappoints), but even that is a bit derivative and I can get why people aren't as crazy about it.

So it is up to the first CD to make up of the failings of the second one and it mostly succeeds.

Eternity is beautiful and one of my favourite Maiden openers, just a great song, the weird narration and the bizarre lyrics notwithstanding. Funny that Dickinson opens the album with such a blast and closes it with such a whimper.

The title track is again a monster, scratching all my Gersian itches and then some.
The Red and the Black is the reunion SSOASS for me - for most of its runtime, an iffy song with an iffy chorus, but the instrumental part in the last third is among the most thrilling musical sequences I've ever heard from Maiden.
The Great Unknown sounds like a (great) forgotten X Factor outtake.
And River is one of my favourite short rockers by the band.

All in all, there's a lot to like, but it took Senjutsu to make me realise this could all be done better.

I had it a little higher in my personal ranking (#7)

Hey, same ranking!

In TBOS it felt like he changed his singing style in places to accommodate this and I really like the end result. The Man of Sorrows is one of the premier examples of it.
Yeah, he sings better on TBOS than TFF.
It's part of a storyline for a solo album. It doesn't work for me outside of the solo album, and they didn't need the acoustic guitar either. I love reunion Maiden, but they do need to remember how to simply finish a song instead of noodling about with yet another slow outro.
I agree, but I think Eternity needed an outro.
I enjoy it a lot (even more so live)
This.
I agree with you, it's just that the style doesn't gel with me particularly. I'd much rather see him turn his hand back to short songs, like Rainmaker or Judas Be My Guide.
Me too.
I agree that hype around the album and the touring cycle was insane. The two shows I caught in 2016 are in a three way tie with Legacy of the Beast Vegas 2019 for the best Maiden show I’ve been to. You can tell they really believed in the material.
As always.
Death or Glory is a completely pedestrian, unimaginative Maiden rocker
Empire is actually bloated, overwrought and completely loses me - for a track that was supposed to be my absolute favourite on the album - and even by Maiden in general. I mean, I'm the prog bloke, the opera bloke, the power metal bloke. This should have been great. But the piano is a good tell, actually - it is pedestrian and repetitive and the song follows suit. Also, the intended emotionality completely misses me. I like airships, I like tragedies, but leave it to Bruce to make something that completely misses the mark on that with me.

All in all, there's a lot to like, but it took Senjutsu to make me realise this could all be done better.
I think only the chorus of Death Or Glory can be called a bit unimaginative.
Sorry to hear that about Empire, it's the opposite for me. I'm really curious how many repetitions a potential long song on Bruce's upcoming solo album will have.

About your last comment, I think I can agree with you.

I guess I´m one of the few that thinks Death Or Glory is one of the highlights on the album together with If Eternity Should Fail.

The Final Frontier was the first time I was somewhat disappointed in a Maiden studio album. The Book Of Souls was a return to form in many respects, though it is a wildly inconsistent album with a fair share of issues and problems.

Bruce's vocal decline had started at this point (cancer didn't help either) and this album feautures the worst vocal performances of his career up to that point. He's straining to hell and back, far more even than anything on TFF where his voice was in much better shape still. This problem is emphasized even more by some genuinely idiotic arrangement choices and vocal lines in some of the songs.
The production continues the post NPFTD trend, where most of the albums simply don't sound as good as they could and deserve. Futhermore, the album features literal mistakes like the copy/pasted bum note in the instrumental section of Speed Of Light. Also, I'll never get over Nicko changing the drum groove in the middle of the chorus of If Eternity Should Fail because he seemingly forgot to play the proper one (the one that appears on the rest of the choruses and on every single live performance of the song). And before someone starts with "you're nitpicking too much, Maiden isn't a modern and sterile band" I've got 6 words for you: Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. The mid to late 80's era Maiden would've never allowed some of these glaring mistakes to land on a studio album. We all love Maiden but we also should hold them to higher standards, standards which they themselves set. We deserve better, they deserve better, most of all the music deserves better.
Speaking of Speed Of Light, I absolutely despise that song and it is a genuine 1/10 for me. One of the 3 worst Maiden songs ever written. Such a shame because "Shadows in the stars" is a fantastic line wasted on this piece of aural excrement. The Man Of Sorrows continues the trend of recent Murray-penned songs being unfinished, unfocused messes that should've either been rewritten entirely or scrapped altogether.

On the other hand the album has a ton of redeeming features. The artwork and visual theming is a modern classic, featuring one of the best and most interesting Eddies. Would've loved a proper background though.
If Eternity Should Fail is beloved by the fandom and rightfully so. The Book Of Souls is phenomenal and it's latter half takes what Montsegur tried to do musically and perfected it. The Red And The Black features downright bad verses with the worst possible combination: fast and rather nonsensical lyrics in an uncomfortable range for Bruce. Thankfully the instrumental section is pure Maiden magic and one of the highpoints of their career. Empire Of The Clouds needed a bit more editing and tightening up, ultimately it does more things right than wrong though and I still like that track a lot. Special shout out to Shadows Of The Valley (though the intro has no justification in existing and should've been cut) and particularly When The River Runs Deep. I adore the verses and the little vocal harmonies. The pre-chorus is very strained, but the chorus makes up for that.

Off-topic: @MindRuler your avatar's from Evergrey's The Inner Circle, right? Phenomenal album!

Also, I'll never get over Nicko changing the drum groove in the middle of the chorus of If Eternity Should Fail because he seemingly forgot to play the proper one (the one that appears on the rest of the choruses and on every single live performance of the song).
Before I listen to the song again, he changes from the hi hat to the ride cymbal in the first chorus doesn’t he?

Off-topic: @MindRuler your avatar's from Evergrey's The Inner Circle, right? Phenomenal album!
Yes it is! I even nominated A Touch Of Blessing for the GMSC but it didn´t make it for the next round. Phenomenal album indeed, the last of a serie of masterpieces (that started with Solitude Dominance Tragedy)

Yes it is! I even nominated A Touch Of Blessing for the GMSC but it didn´t make it for the next round. Phenomenal album indeed, the last of a serie of masterpieces (that started with Solitude Dominance Tragedy)
Btw, the song "Where All Good Sleep" is the reason why my band is called Into Denial.

Please elaborate.
Don't force me to listen to that song again :( lol
Around 3:45-ish in the instrumental section there's a note that they fucked up.

Last edited:
I guess I´m one of the few that thinks Death Or Glory is one of the highlights on the album together with If Eternity Should Fail.
Me too. But I don't know why Speed Of Light is not liked as much as it.

It's like the verses of Red And The Black, I like them a lot, which seems to be an unpopular opinion. The whole song shines even more live.
The Man Of Sorrows continues the trend of recent Murray-penned songs being unfinished, unfocused messes that should've either been rewritten entirely or scrapped altogether.
I prefer every album to have at least 1 song written by Dave, no matter if it's a ''lesser'' song for me. It's always great to hear his trademark style and sound. And most of his songs are special.

It's a good album, but it hasn't quite stood the test of time. If Eternity and TBOS are brilliant songs though. When the River Runs Deep and The Man of Sorrows are weak though, the former being one of the worst songs since the 90s. I also have some issues with the production and in particular Dave's sound.
There are some delays between Nicko and the rest of the band, sometimes. For example, on the instrumental section of the title track. These delays have been fixed on Senjutsu. But, I don't completely agree with you about When The Rivers Runs Deep. It's a very nice and catchy song. Maybe a little bit too different from what Maiden does usually, but it's easily a 7,5+/10 track. The Man Of Sorrows is also something new for Maiden, but it's a nice track with some great melodic parts in it. The Great Unknown is, for me, weaker and stranger than The Man Of Sorrows.

Back