Remember Tomorrow: 9
Running Free: 7
Phantom of the Opera: 10
Transylvania: 8
Strange World: 7
Charlotte the Harlot: 6
Iron Maiden: 5

Album Average: 7.2

I'm going to at least attempt to be a relatively strict grader, so this is actually a pretty good showing from the debut. Even with the production, I like it.

Phantom Of The Opera 10
Strange World 10
Prowler 9
Transylvania 9
Running Free 8
Iron Maiden 8
Remember Tomorrow 8
Charlotte The Harlot 7

Average: 8,62 (Sum of all individual notes divided by 8)

Not including Sanctuary as it never was and is not part of my debut album track list. Gave it a 6.

Last edited:
My ratings on this album have remained virtually the same forever. If a song changes by one point either direction, it's usually offset by another song changing in a similar way.

Prowler - 8/10
Remember Tomorrow - 7/10
Running Free - 9/10
Phantom of the Opera - 10/10
Transylvania - 7/10
Strange World - 7/10
Sanctuary - 10/10
Charlotte the Harlot - 4/10
Iron Maiden - 6/10

Album: 7.5

Prowler: 10
Remember Tomorrow: 10
Running Free: 9
Phantom of the Opera: 10
Transylvania: 10
Strange World: 8
Charlotte the Harlot: 7
Iron Maiden: 5

Overall: 8/10

Remember Tomorrow: 9
Phantom of the Opera: 9
Iron Maiden: 8
Strange World: 7
Prowler: 7
Running Free: 7
Transylvania: 7
Sanctuary: 6
Charlotte the Harlot: 3

Average: 7

Oh, Dennis Stratton: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fo...ebut-could-have-ended-up-sounding-like-queen/

"I took 'Phantom of The Opera', which was always a great song at its core, and added a load of harmony guitars and falsetto vocals to our basic recording," he explains. "The engineer helped me layer the sounds, adding track after track, and when we played it back it sounded like QUEEN. I thought it was fantastic. But when we were listening back to the track Rod Smallwood came up behind me in the control room. I didn't know he was there and at the end of the song he said, 'You can get rid of all that. It sounds like fucking QUEEN.' So it never made the cut. I'd still love to do a big, massive production of that song one day. I know it would be great."

Imagine what that would have sounded like?

There already are backing vocals on Phantom and probably more guitar overdubs than other songs from the album, I assume that’s Stratton’s influence.

To me it’s pretty obvious that Stratton didn’t “get” Maiden. The story seems harsh but he probably would’ve left on his own not long after anyway. Reading that excerpt makes me think he completely missed the point of Phantom and I’m glad he didn’t get his way.

See, that's what Steve Harris understood in 1979-80. The world was ready for something new, and there was a big enough section who wanted something further away from punk and even Priest-style early metal, who wanted something that mixed the theatrics of a Led Zeppelin album with the progressive nature of something like Yes, while being heavier than Black Sabbath. They wanted meaningful metal.

Back