Info on the recording of "7th son of a 7th son"

A

Anonymous

Hello all!

I'm currently writing an article on the recording of "7th son of a 7th son" and there are still some information that I'm missing..Could anyone help me?I'd like to know things like:
- What equipment did they use?guitars, basses, microphones, amps, etc...
- Did they use any specific or unique technique during the recording?
- What was the role of Martin Birch in making the album?Was his contribution to the making of the album huge or of less importance?

Thank you all very much,
Insomniac

I've yet to read the whole commentary on this album (available here), but some of the above info may be there.

Alternatively, the sleeve notes tells us that Martin Birch produced/engineered/mixed the album. And the fact that Martin Birch has produced some classic Metal/Rock albums in his time so he certainly knows his stuff, I would suggest his contribution was quite huge. After the follow up album to this (NPftD), 'Arry got more involved with the mixing etc.

To begin with, thanks a lot for the reply.

Unfortunately, the commentary has really useful information, but not the kind I'm looking for...It's concentrated on the concept of the album and the 'quality' of the music, but I'm looking for more technical stuff..I'm pretty sure I've gathered all the possible information from the web and I was hoping that someone (older than me) might remember some things from this time that aren't written anywhere..

I've no doubt that Birch did know his stuff, but what I'm curious of, is this: Did he have a really active participation in the making of the songs (like George Martin I think did with the Beatles), or are the songs that we hear 99% Iron Maiden and 1% Martin Birch?(as far as music goes).

Thanks for the reply anyway!

In respect to the quote that Birch was huge to the end product of the album is not in regards to the creativity of it, as this has more to do with 'Arry than anyone else. It has more to do with the production values.

For information on what equipment was used, you could read the inside sleeve of the album. :)

heh...unfortunately I don't have the reissue of the album, but an older version so nothing is written inside...Only lyrics, line-up and greetings. :(

If someone has the extended 2CD edition which also has notes in the booklet, could he tell me about the equipment?

I have the 1998 reissue of the album and the only notes it has really are the Iron Maiden thank the following" type.  The credits don't list anything to do with the equipment used though.

Something that you may be interested in however is the information that:
2nd Engineer: Stephane "The Vardengrip" Wissner
Bernd Maier - Studio Boffin

I have both versions of the CD and see not difference in the sleeve notes (in regards to the "thanks" list). In fact the only difference I can see in the sleeve notes, as a whole, is the tour dates (aside from the obvious about the enhanced section).

@Conor & Albie:

Unfortunately, it makes sense, why would they write any recording info in the CD's booklets? Tour dates and 'stories from the road' are more interesting to most of the fans..(including me, actually) :(

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for trying to help me out, that's what matters, I'll just write everything I have and hopefully I'll reach the 1000+ words limit.

Thanks for your time!

This topic was left unanswered.

- What equipment did they use? guitars, basses, microphones, amps, etc...

Dave Murray : Fender Stratocaster, Marshall amps and Yamaha pedals.
Adrian Smith : Jackson / Lado Guitars, Gallien-Krueger amps and MXR pedals.
Steve Harris : apart from his standard bass guitar, Fender Precision, don't know his setup.

They used Shure microphones for vocal recording in the '80s.

- Did they use any specific or unique technique during the recording?

None that we know of.

- What was the role of Martin Birch in making the album?Was his contribution to the making of the album huge or of less importance?

Probably exactly the same as with previous records.

Back